Arrow Reflex 2.0 Exhaust

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

geotreker
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Arrow Reflex 2.0 Exhaust

Post by geotreker »

Hello Everyone!

I finished a video documenting some of my exhaust install and figured I'd share. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGShKe5SwrE
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Arrow Reflex 2.0 Exhaust

Post by montliz44 »

Thanks, Geotreker, great video.

It looks like that system would be a lot cooler (temperature-wise, I mean) than the stock setup. Certainly is a lot better looking. Maybe it would help the rear brake pad life somewhat, as well. Does that come with just one db option or is a db killer available?

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
geotreker

Post by geotreker »

montliz44 wrote:Thanks, Geotreker, great video.

It looks like that system would be a lot cooler (temperature-wise, I mean) than the stock setup. Certainly is a lot better looking. Maybe it would help the rear brake pad life somewhat, as well. Does that come with just one db option or is a db killer available?

Johnny
Without a catalytic converter it is a lot cooler. It comes with the dB killer installed but easy to remove.
geotreker

Post by geotreker »

Johnny,

Thank you for the compliment. If you'd like I can make another video (shorter of course) with the dB killer installed under same riding conditions.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Oh thanks but not necessary, I was thinking more about the mechanics and what was included in the kit.

Those are expensive but really super nice parts. A great upgrade in several ways. Love the stainless pipe.

Thanks again,

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

montliz44 wrote:Oh thanks but not necessary, I was thinking more about the mechanics and what was included in the kit.

Those are expensive but really super nice parts. A great upgrade in several ways. Love the stainless pipe.

Thanks again,

Johnny

Why is it a great upgrade?
geotreker

Post by geotreker »

Aesthetically pleasing both visually and audibly. 9.28 lbs of sprung weight removed from swing arm. Easier to clean. As for the power gains they are minimal at best even with A/F correction.
mjoa68
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: Grey/Silver

Post by mjoa68 »

geotreker wrote:Johnny,

Thank you for the compliment. If you'd like I can make another video (shorter of course) with the dB killer installed under same riding conditions.
I'd love to hear it, if you don't mind going to the trouble. This is one of the exhausts I'm looking at.

Looks and sounds great by the way. And 9lbs ain't nothing to sneeze at!

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

geotreker wrote:9.28 lbs of sprung weight removed from swing arm.
The weight of the swingarm and wheel is counterbalanced by the weight of the engine.
So now its out of balance, or at least not balanced as per original design.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by Mister_Fube »

Does the catalytic converter generate heat in a way that causes problems? I'm also wondering if the catalytic converter is in the end can of the stock OEM exhaust... cos it doesn't look like it's in the manifold tube, like it is in on the Arrow system. My stock exhaust has developed a hole in it, so I'm looking at the Arrow. Is there a safe way to dispose of the cat in a dead exhaust?

And another thing.. I want to get the manifold with the catalytic converter, as opposed to the "racing manifold" without - mainly because I'm a tree-hugger. But the difference in price on ebay is shocking. Racing manifold about £68, road legal manifold £170 (the same price as the end can itself). I presume it's a legal requirement at MOT to have a cat, in the UK, is it not? Otherwise, tree-hugger or no, I'd be plumping for the racing manifold.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If the hole is at the front underside of the muffler, it's a drain hole.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I noticed much less heat coming off the scooter after changing the exhaust.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

It's not the drain hole, gn2. It has sounded loud and parpy for a couple of months now (not that it bothers me - it sounds almost like an aftermarket exhaust now), but I've just had it back from the Honda dealer after the rear brake recall thing, and they confirmed it when handing over the keys. It's only 2 yrs old, so it won't even be due an MOT for a year - so I'm happy to leave it until closer to the time. But I love accessory shopping for my rides, so of course I'm loading up my fantasy shopping basket already. The OEM honda can is apparently ridiculously expensive, so it was the dealer who actually said I should probably just get an aftermarket stainless one for less. The Arrow Reflex is the cheapest (or so I thought) but maybe not with the catalytic converter manifold. In that instance, I think the Akrapovic is cheaper.

Incidentally, I am assuming that the Akrapovic for the Honda SH300i is the one I've seen in all the pictures of Forzas with Akrapovics. Can anyone confirm that? The Akrapovic website doesn't list an exhaust specifically for the Forza 300.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

Yes, that's the one. But, the 2016 one would fit better. Just buy the P-KAT-039 catalytic converter (since 2016 SH300i is Euro 4 approved & NSS300A is not).
Attachments
Akrapovic.jpg
Akrapovic.jpg (211.14 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mister_Fube wrote:It's not the drain hole, gn2. It has sounded loud and parpy for a couple of months now (not that it bothers me - it sounds almost like an aftermarket exhaust now), but I've just had it back from the Honda dealer after the rear brake recall thing, and they confirmed it when handing over the keys. It's only 2 yrs old, so it won't even be due an MOT for a year - so I'm happy to leave it until closer to the time. But I love accessory shopping for my rides, so of course I'm loading up my fantasy shopping basket already. The OEM honda can is apparently ridiculously expensive, so it was the dealer who actually said I should probably just get an aftermarket stainless one for less. The Arrow Reflex is the cheapest (or so I thought) but maybe not with the catalytic converter manifold. In that instance, I think the Akrapovic is cheaper.

Incidentally, I am assuming that the Akrapovic for the Honda SH300i is the one I've seen in all the pictures of Forzas with Akrapovics. Can anyone confirm that? The Akrapovic website doesn't list an exhaust specifically for the Forza 300.
The standard SH300 exhaust is a different part number to the Forza, so they are definitely different in some way.
I believe its the angle/position of the connection which is the difference.

Mine blows from the exhaust connection gasket sometimes and it sounds really loud.
The gasket wears out, its as if the exhaust gas burns it away.
When replacing the connection gasket, if it is not seated in the silencer first and driven beyond the four splits in the connector before assembling onto the header pipe, the exhaust will blow and be noisy.
Can you definitely see a hole in the silencer, have you taken it off and removed the heatshields to inspect it?

I would be surprised if your exhaust has rusted through, mine lives outside by the seaside and gets ridden in all weathers, rarely gets washed and its still solid.
Although I painted it once it got rusty again within weeks.

I reckon if you take the silencer off the connection gasket will be burned through.

Did the dealer offer to supply you the new pipe...?
(sounds to me like they are at the usual tricks)

The cheapest stainless complete system I've found for the Forza is a Gianelli G4, last time I looked it was around £180 but I didn't save the link.
(Arrow is a Gianelli brand)
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

Thanks DioTiAma - I'll look into that Akrapovic configuration to get an idea of the cost of that option.

gn2- yes I'd also noticed the Giannelli G-4 on eBay, which, as a full system is definitely cheaper than the Arrow Reflex 2.0 with catalytic converter. Does anyone on this forum have a G-4 installed on their Forza? I did a forum search for it and it didn't come up with anything. I'd be interested to see what that looks like in-situ, on the Forza.

My local Honda dealer are actually very good - they did say specifically that there was a hole in my OEM exhaust, rather than a gasket disintegrated, but when I asked how much a new one would be, they said "you don't want to know". So when I asked if that meant that it would be cheaper buying an after-market stainless exhaust, they agreed. I guess I have nothing to lose by taking the exhaust off myself and inspecting it, as you suggest. I've got a whole year before it even becomes an essential job to deal with. I'll be sure to note that there's a drain hole somewhere in the front end of it, that's supposed to be there. ;)

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The standard silencer (just the silencer with none of the shields and bolts) is £338 from here: http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... 0+ABS.html

Can't find pics of a G4 on a Forza 300, but some pics of it on other scooters:

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

That G4 is really nice looking, no rivets or straps that make an exhaust look homemade. I would not be surprised if its the same as the Malossi exhaust i have, they look identical except for the rear cap. I actually like this more than my CF cap on the malossi.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

On almost any of the links I've found for the G-4, it doesn't state whether or not the "full system" includes a cat, or if it's a "racing full system". It says road legal, which would imply a cat is present. There's no such ambiguity with the Arrow listings. Makes me suspicious as to why the G-4 is so much cheaper...

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Is a cat actually needed to be road legal?