Insurance

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Insurance

Post by Embattle »

Got to love being ripped off on insurance, last year I paid £150 which included road side recovery. This year bearing in mind I've now got my Full licence (A2 restriction) has cost me £215 with road side recovery. Some brokers said there under writers didn't even do the PCX, which is shocking considering its popularity.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Insurance

Post by iceman »

I went with Carole Nash Scoot and Commute (they have a special insurance for scooters alongside their motorbike policies). Was cheaper than all others on comparison sites. I have 2yr's provisional no claims (20 years car no claims did not count for anything!)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well our insurance just doubled after our accident, even though we were not at fault. In fact, they only paid out $4,000 between our two bikes. That counts cost of repairs AND the emergency room visit. The rest of the $70,000 medical costs are ours, whether we can afford it or not, because we chose to head for the ditch rather than crash into the rest of the accident pile (head on crash right in front of us).
Insurance is a ripoff but it comes in handy when it is needed, like if we had crashed into the mess, which would have probably been a lot worse for all of us.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Embattle »

What also appeared odd was on comparison sites the older 10 bhp model was less to insure.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Never just accept a renewal, always always always hit the comparison sites.
Then you can phone your existing insurer for a price match and if they won't then its time to switch.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Embattle »

Did a few comparison sites still all massively above my previous, my previous insurer wouldn't even insure it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Embattle wrote:Did a few comparison sites still all massively above my previous, my previous insurer wouldn't even insure it.

Do you mean your previous insurers wouldn't re-insure it?
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Embattle »

Yeah, my current one wouldn't insure me again or as they said in the letter their underwriters couldn't provide a quote.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:Well our insurance just doubled after our accident, even though we were not at fault. In fact, they only paid out $4,000 between our two bikes. That counts cost of repairs AND the emergency room visit. The rest of the $70,000 medical costs are ours, whether we can afford it or not, because we chose to head for the ditch rather than crash into the rest of the accident pile (head on crash right in front of us).
Insurance is a ripoff but it comes in handy when it is needed, like if we had crashed into the mess, which would have probably been a lot worse for all of us.
I had a friend who insured everything to the hilt with the excuse that it gave her peace of mind and that she had found that in the long run insurance paid for itself many times over. Well, in her case at least, it was true. When her husband died in a fatal crash--which was actually his fault, but this happened in Florida where fault is interpreted in weird ways--her insurance settled with her for 300,000$.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Embattle wrote:Yeah, my current one wouldn't insure me again or as they said in the letter their underwriters couldn't provide a quote.

Try Carole Nashe and the comparison sites. You may be asked if you have been refused a quote but I don't think it will matter. The PCXs are a run of the mill scooter from an insurers perspective.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Fugu »

Mine is fully insured with everything.
I pay 180€ anually :-) Not too bad..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Boy are you Lucky! 180€ annually?? We are now paying $1,000 annually for 2 PCX 150s. My car isn't even that much.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

Mel46 wrote:Boy are you Lucky! 180€ annually?? We are now paying $1,000 annually for 2 PCX 150s. My car isn't even that much.
Yeah, I'm dead serious. 180 Euroes, I wont ever complain about that price! I paid up front instantly, I was born and raised in Denmark, and we have the highest taxes in the world on cars and bikes, if not one of the highest.
I really scratched my hair when he told me the price, and that the 49cc's here in Spain cost more than the 125cc's.

But hey :-D somebody has to get lucky i guess.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

180€ is quite expensive, this year my insurance will be about £90 ($120 €107)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

I just got my bill for insurance for Natasha for the next six months, and it works out to just under $13.00 a month, or $156.00 a year.

That's with full replacement, and the standard insurances for motorcycle. If and when I take a certified motorcycle safety course within one year of the policy initiation for Natasha, I get a 7% discount on that, and I can then add her to get the multi-car discount.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Just to make you all a bit annoyed my insurance is £62 a year fully comprehensive.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

[quote="Fugu.
I really scratched my hair when he told me the price, and that the 49cc's here in Spain cost more than the 125cc's.

.[/quote]

This makes perfect sense to me: A 49cc is a magnet for four-wheeled ire everywhere but on a college campus. People will honk you, roar past you and cut back in too close--more in anger than in sorrow--and sometimes even roll down their windows and shout at you thus: "Get off the road!" Sad but true.

I feel safer on my Reflex a lot of the time than I do on my PCX. Speed is your friend--except when it gets crazy.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

gn2 wrote:180€ is quite expensive, this year my insurance will be about £90 ($120 €107)
Did you read my post?
I'm from Denmark, and Denmark have one of the highest taxes on cars and motorcycles in the world.
I would have to pay atleast the double in Denmark, so I'm pretty happy. Especially since this is my first 2 wheeler ever. Dont have any experience riding them before.

But good for you, 90£ is a great price. Good for you.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

flyingzonker wrote:[quote="Fugu.

This makes perfect sense to me: A 49cc is a magnet for four-wheeled ire everywhere but on a college campus. People will honk you, roar past you and cut back in too close--more in anger than in sorrow--and sometimes even roll down their windows and shout at you thus: "Get off the road!" Sad but true.

I feel safer on my Reflex a lot of the time than I do on my PCX. Speed is your friend--except when it gets crazy.[/quote]

That does actually make perfect sense to me! Never thought of it that way!
even i hate the 49cc's.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fugu wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:[quote="Fugu.

I've never had that.