givi screen wind buffeting on helmet

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Hi guys,

There was a post regarding this I remember reading but could not find.

Basically I've installed a Givi D233S (the smoked one), used it for 2 days and feel that i am getting alot of wind buffeting to my helmet around 35-50mph.

Not really noticed this with the original screen, cant say its more comfy with the new screen, just noticed alot of wind on my helmet causing loud wind sounds (dont normally get it unless its a hurrican outside).

I'm 5"8 (174cm) in height, anyone else get this?

Maybe put the original back on and see how it goes.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Try a different helmet. I get less helmet noise with my open face helmet. On my full face I added a windjammer 2 to reduce wind noise.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Re: givi screen wind buffeting on helmet

Post by Cracksta »

strange thing is i didnt notice this before the screen being fitted

only happens around 35-50 and its a constant sound so assuming the wind is being directed to my face.

only way i know is to put the original back on
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I installed the Givi standard screen. It does have some noise coming just over the top edge. Depending on where this hits you it might be pretty loud right under the chin bar of your helmet. My Schuberth helmet seals all the way around my neck so even at it's worst the noise is not that bad for me. You can hear different performance of the windscreen by raising up and ducking to play with the wind stream. Ducking all the way down so your head is behind the screen is perfectly silent but is too low to ride that way for anything more than a short top speed blast on the highway to get to the next exit. Rise up on the bike so the wind is hitting lower on the chest and you are back to the normal noise of your helmet. I may try to tip the screen back some to lower it a little by heating it and flexing it if this wouldn't make it get into the mirrors more when at full lock. The PCX is much quicker with the bigger windscreen now as it easily hits redline with less than full throttle. I expect fuel economy to be up as well. It is much warmer to ride as well. 33F last night. My fingers got cold as I had my leather gloves on. I should have grabbed my thick winter gloves and I may even look into getting a high end pair of super warm mittens since the PCX is so easy to ride not having a clutch.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

yea i was ducking and trying to sit higher up but had the missus on the back so not ideal.

will give it another go later
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

That's why I got the super-tall Givi. With no windshield, you get blasted over your whole body. With the small one, you get blasted in the face. That's not a bad thing if your helmet keeps out wind, but I ride 2-up with a 3/4 helmet so I can talk to my wife, and ride 1-up with a modular helmet, so wind noise was just too much with the half Givi or Ermax...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Well, I was ducking and diving but the sweet spot is either 30mph or if I stick my head up in the air like if I wanted to headbutt the traffic light. I like the look of it but don't want any taller. Actually got a headache from it, Def not my helmet as I've done speeds faster and less noise.

Just an example, the wind sound is like turbulence.

On the plus side, it feels faster
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I think it might be pretty easy to heat it up across the shaped area and pull it back and down some at the top. I'll let you know.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Might look weird doing that.

Will see what the return policy is, I've fit the original back on so will see how I feel tomorrow.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Cracksta wrote:Will see what the return policy is, I've fit the original back on so will see how I feel tomorrow.
I can assure you the return policy is zero after installing it. You could also probably find a plastics company that would know how to trim it down without cracking it.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I know you say its not the helmet but adding the screen leads to upward flowing air whereas the helmet is designed for horizontal flow. In my experience adding a windjammer2 to the helmet and taping the gap at bottom of windshield reduces helmet noise. I have the tall Ermax +25 which is still 4 or 5 inches shorter than Dave's tall Givi.

IMG_0116 by TazPCX, on Flickr
Windjammer2 on my Shark

IMG_0382 by TazPCX, on Flickr
Taped up gap at bottom of windscreen.

I also have a 3/4 Open Face which is fine behind the screen with much less noise than the full face. I am not sure why that is the case but I enjoy riding with the open face.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I'm more or less your height (176 cm) and have exactly the same Givi you've got, the smoked one on my black PCX. I use a modular helmet which is quite noisy, and perhaps there's a slight increase in wind noise, but I get the wind off my chest, which is what I bought it for. I was hesitating between the Givi and the TCP. Decided on the Givi since the TCP looked narrower and I wondered if it would have been efficient enough at protecting the chest area and I didn't find any review on it anywhere. The TCP looks just a bit taller than the short Givi, so it might divert the airflow over the helmet a bit better.

The good news is that the other day I came across another black PCX which had the TCP fitted on. If I do find it again and find his rider on her, I'll have a closer look and ask him, and come back with I find out.
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

Cracksta wrote:Hi guys,

There was a post regarding this I remember reading but could not find.

Basically I've installed a Givi D233S (the smoked one), used it for 2 days and feel that i am getting alot of wind buffeting to my helmet around 35-50mph.
Maybe it was this post: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=519#p7386

I was very disappointed with this windscreen (Givi D233s) and I use the factory screen instead.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I lowered my Givi windscreen by heating it along the hand crease and bending it back. The noise is much better as the air strikes lower now at the collar bone. It is still the perfect height to give a good wet weather crouch, leaning forward with your line of sight just over the edge where the turbulence over the top of the screen acts as a blow drier to blast water drops straight down so I never even have to wipe my face shield until I get into slower boulevard travel. It didn't make much improvement to the fuel economy even though it looks more aero now and I never had a chance to do any timed runs before moving on to installing the slider style variator weights. It took a surprising amount of heat. That polycarbonate is rugged! It took one heat gun in each hand to get it hot enough to move. Take some masking tape and pull the shield back partway to hold it while you apply the heat all along the handguards and crease. Measure before and after with a tape measure as shown. I moved mine down and back 2.5 inches in two stages. That is as low as you can go as the mirrors become a problem at that point. I ended up doing some additional trimming at the top two corners with an 1/8 inch router bit in my dremmel tool. Very easy and no chance of cracking. Play it careful from line as the blade can chatter wide on you. It is easy to sand another 1mm with a sanding block to get the final shape. It's quieter, better in the rain, and the hand protection moves out a little wider.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Did you try taping or blocking the air gap at bottomof the windscreen to see what affect that had on your buffeting and noise?
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i am the same height but didnt experience the same thing with my givi assuming we are talking about the 322 model (you said 233 but i think you meant 322). the aerodynamic properties of a surprisingly good helmet make a huge difference in my experience. i was using a syncrotec and now a neotec helmet.

now i have a taller ermax and it is awesome!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Maybe check the vents inside your helmet. Are they "clearly" open? I had whistling with FF helmet & using my medium Givi screen. I took a look inside my hat and found some small bits of liner foam around front vent. I used a tweezers to remove what should have been cut-away in-the-making stage. No more noise....amazing, I lucked out :D Who wooda thought, right?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

well my screen has been sold for similar money i paid for it, it was def the screen as i've been riding with the original screen and its back to normal.

Perhaps the screen made my helmet worst but either way, the screen was to blame for the discomfort.

I may try a Puig screen instead but not sure if i want to spend that kind of money to then find out i have similar issues.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

have you tried using earplugs??
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Cracksta wrote:well my screen has been sold for similar money i paid for it, it was def the screen as i've been riding with the original screen and its back to normal.

Perhaps the screen made my helmet worst but either way, the screen was to blame for the discomfort.

I may try a Puig screen instead but not sure if i want to spend that kind of money to then find out i have similar issues.
Was the screen picked up today by any chance? Also is it been shipped up to the north of England? :)