another new member

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rhodgie

another new member

Post by Rhodgie »

Hi my name is Stephen, "rhodgie" is my nickname and is what most people know me by.... I've been a biker for a long time and currently have a 900 diversion with a sidecar, wife used to come pillion with me many years ago when rode solos.

This year I finally talked her into doing her CBT and she bought a new PCX last month.... brand new in candy red and she loves it... I love the 0% finance and 100mpg+ :D

As its near the end of the year we wont get many more runs out but hopefully will get plenty next year as she wants to go on and get rid of her "L" plates.

I'm looking forward (me not her cause she's not much into forums) to learning as much as I can about the PCX because I personally think it's a fantastic little machine and to hearing other peoples stories.

Ride Safe

Rhodgie
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: another new member

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums! You should get your wife to join up too. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Perfect machine for carving through traffic on Cumbernauld's many roundabouts.
Some nice country roads close by as well.
I'm sure she'll enjoy her shiny new PCX. :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Rhodgie

Post by Rhodgie »

thanks guys(?) for the welcome, what I've seen so far looking over the forum I reckon I should be able to gleem a lot of useful information, maybe even be able to provide some of my own although doubt she'll let me get my hands on it and it'll most likely be dealer serviced.... (£'s?)

gn2 you sound like you know cumbernauld.... aye theres a lot of roundabouts but also a lot of very nice runs nearby. biggest problem is there are an awful lot of great places to go and see from here but because we're right beside the motorways its so easy to jump on the M9 for 20 minutes and save a lot of journey time.... but cause shes still only on a CBT we cany use motorways so thats why want to get ride of them asap next year.

she'll not consider a proper bike with gears, will always stick to a twist n go scooter but as she'll not go over the speed limit the PCX will do fine for a while then can see bout moving up to something more powerful if she's up for it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A long time ago I got my PPL at Cumbernauld airport and I used to work there part time, I stayed in Kirkintilloch at the time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Just a quick word about the PCX and Motorway riding. I commute on occasion from the South Coast (between Brighton and Worthing) to Gatwick airport. It's a journey of 29.5 miles. I allow myself an hour for the journey to give me time to park up, take off my waterproofs etc, and lock the bike and stuff everything under the seat. I usually have time to grab a coffee too. I could save 10 minutes by using the 3-lane A23/M23 for the last 8 miles but, unless I'm running late or it's early morning with little traffic, I use the quieter route through the outskirts of Crawley. The PCX can keep up with trucks but I've had too many knobs in BMWs & Mercs cutting across me at junctions and generally trying to intimidate me by getting too close. I ride in the centre of the nearside lane (Lane 1) but many cage drivers seem to think that they can fit in there too. It's just not worth the hassle unless, as I said, I'm pushed for time. Riding that route at 8am or 5pm would be an absolute nightmare.

I really hope you enjoy your PCX as much as I do, and welcome to the forum,

Bill
Image[/URL
Rhodgie

Post by Rhodgie »

gn2 its a small world eh? i'm originally from glasgow (springburn!) but moved here in '94, if you look up Broadwood stadium home of Clyde FC then thats the area I'm in now, you would have passed through here going between kirky and the airport, wife works in kirky and I've spent a lot of time there so know it well.

Bill I know the road your talking about, we holiday in Brighton a lot (twice this year at Sheepcote Valley caravan site near the Marina), and our motorways are not as mental as yours down there....!!!! Its not an issue at the moment as she's not able to use the motorways but hopefully she'll get her licence and be able to rip up the "L" plates which will allow us to use the motorways for short spells (10/15 miles max I reckon) and as long as she can keep up with trucks it'll be okay cause with the two (or more?) of us and less mental drivers it shouldn't be an issue.... famous last words eh! hope they don't come back to haunt me? I've got a 900 Diversion with a Squire sidecar so gives me more of a presence on the road. In a couple of years hopefully she'll know whether the PCX is all she needs or maybe wants to trade up to a bigger engined scooter (250, 500, 700?) I do like your average mpg figure of 126.3 which is one of the highest I've seen but guess thats because of your commute route, if she gets close to the 100 mark with the putling around we'll be doing that'll be a good result, will prob have to get its first fill up tommorrow so we'll see, she's managed 50mph once but tends to stick to 40/45 as its still new, only done 62 miles since got it.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Hi and welcome!. As you say, there's quite a bit of useful info, but we're looking forward to seeing whatever you can bring too ;) !.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Rhodgie welcome and thanks for connecting your wife to a PCX, she's really going to enjoy it! Miles of smiles, hands on....take me where "I" want to go times ahead for her. With you rolling alongside......priceless :D Twist and Go safely.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Yes Rhodgie I am very pleased with my fuel figures. I was thinking maybe I'd get 100 - 110 mpg and would have been extremely pleased with that. My riding style on the PCX tends to be relaxed....I just find it so enjoyable to pootle about taking in the scenery, something I didn't do often on larger capacity bikes. The PCX has opened up a completely new take on two-wheeled travel for me. I can't see me going back to full-on motorcycles because of the sheer convenience that comes with a scooter. I may trade-up to a 400 in due course, but no more than that I think, as I can do everything I want (i.e. commute, tour and generally have fun) on a mid-sized machine. I sat on the new BMW scooters on their launch day and they seemed huge in comparison,you might as well get a decent used R1150RT (my favourite tourer)

Bill
Image[/URL
Cooley_PCX_Rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cooley_PCX_Rider »

Welcome from the U.S.
PCX 150 Rider from East Central Illinois in the middle of the United States of America

trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

welcome mate,and enjoy all we have to offer.....:-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000