Battery won't hold a charge, PCX 150 2013

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Battery won't hold a charge, PCX 150 2013

Post by Jarec »

Hi all, my 2013 PCX 150 battery won't hold a charge. I replaced the stock battery, which wouldn't hold a charge, with a cheap after market one and the cheapie also won't hold a charge. This wasn't a problem last season.

I've thought of buying a new stock battery...also I have an extended warranty and wonder if I should just drop it off at the dealer. A generator/alternator problem?

I do have a self-installed oscillating LED light on the back, the kind that calls attention to the scooter by oscillating back and forth, and flashing extra when braking. I suppose in theory that could cause current drain while the ignition is off, but since it worked ok last season I think that's probably not the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help, John
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Battery won't hold a charge, PCX 150 2013

Post by you you »

Disconnect the light and see if that works?
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

That's a thought...
you you wrote:Disconnect the light and see if that works?
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a 2013 as well, and I also have the knight rider type light in the back. Unless you have wired it wrong and it is grounding out your battery, the light itself should not be a problem. When you check the voltage on your good battery, make sure it reads between 12.7 and 13.4 volts. Anything less will mean a weak or bad cell. A lot of cheap batteries have thin walls and can not handle high use. The top battery, aside from the new lithium ones, is probably the Yuasa YTZ7S....not a 'replacement' for it. If you buy a 'replacement' you will get what you pay for it. You could probably get a decent replacement, but not for a third of the price of a name brand one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Thanks for your advice. I've ordered the Yuasa and will see how it works. I'll need a good battery anyway, and if it doesn't work out I'll take the next steps in the trouble shooting.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... s?m=154752
For all of you who have not seen the new lithium battery for the pcx, here is a link.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

That's very interesting, and less expensive than the stock battery I just ordered. I'm curious about charging it. I assume that it has charging characteristics similar to the stock lead acid battery in order to work with the scooter's recharging system, and therefore might be compatible with the external chargers we already have. I like the characteristics from the link you provided:

Features
-The most advanced high-power Lithium Iron Phosphate battery technology from BikeMaster
-Ultra high cranking amps from a super lightweight battery. On average 1/3 the weight of a lead acid battery
-Cylindrical cell with energy storage welding technology for higher output
-Built-in charge and equalizing protection board, preventing battery from over-charging
-Remarkably low self-discharge rate for extended periods of storage
-Suitable for low temp environments
-More than twice the service life of conventional lead acid batteries
-Superior vibration-resistant construction allows multidirectional installation without damage
-No corrosive liquids and no toxic heavy metals make the BikeMaster Lithium Ion Batteries environmentally friendly
-Two year warranty
Mel46 wrote:http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... s?m=154752
For all of you who have not seen the new lithium battery for the pcx, here is a link.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Actually it is fairly easy to diagnose a battery status with a simple multimeter.
First of all you should check battery voltage with everything off on the bike. This should be as a bare minimum around 11.8 volts, and about 13.2 when charged, non-connected. With the ignition key on position, and high beams on, a voltage across the terminals of a heathy battery should not read less than 12.8-12.6 volts.

Switching the multimeter to current measurement, you should read zero current between the battery terminal and the connecting ground cable when the bike is powered off. If not, you can start looking for the current drain by eliminating the suspective elements one by one.

With the engine running one should read about 13.6-14.2 volts, on the battery terminals. Below or above these means the charging circuit does not operate properly either under- or overcharging the battery respectively.