Looking for a new chain and potentially a disklock screamer

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Looking for a new chain and potentially a disklock screamer

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Handed my girlfriend my budget Oxford chain for her Horsecart as I'm not using the bike as much right now, come 2017 it will be being left in the city centre almost daily, so I am looking for a good chain which can stand up to some abuse, but does not weight too much, and potentially a screamer for the front disk brake with a reminder cable.

Anyone got any product recommendations before I head to Google and product review pages?
aka DrewJW
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Looking for a new chain and potentially a disklock screa

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

Zena 6mm disc lock with alarm.
Reminder cable is a total waste. With a screamer, you do not need the reminder.

If you want a lightweight chain, just get the cheapest thing you can find at Walmart. 50% of the time, if it looks locked, it is good enough.

For sturdy chain, I use 5/8 lifting chain, hardened, from Starr industries. Yes, it is too heavy to use as jewelry. Bolt cutters have a tough time cutting hardened chain at all, and very few bolt cutters will open wide enough to even bite down. With this chain, few padlocks will work, I use an Abus 92/80.
Yes, I had a 2011 PCX stolen while chained up with smaller chain.
I now have a 2013 PCX. Yes, all of this is way to heavy and expensive to suit you.
Just get a $15 bike lock from Walmart. Or a lock that covers theft if you can prove it was stollen while locked. $15 or $50 or $75, mostly visual protection. All same protection.
5/8 hardened chain and Abus 92/80? Really have to work to get off.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Been shopping around for the next PCX, and I've come to the same conclusion, don't fancy carrying a chain which can stop the Hulk on PCP but weighs as much as having two of me on the bike!, going to hit middle ground with another Oxford from the dealers, and a screamer for the front wheel.
aka DrewJW
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Don't forget to get something to remind yourself that you have the front brake lock on.
I have a hand brake lock on my bike that will lock the front brake and the throttle. Also, I have a chain and a standard padlock that separates so that I can run the lock through the front brake disc after wrapping it around whatever will be used to secure it. I probably should get one of those screamers but I live in the USA. Very few thieves care about a scooter here.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers