2017 Model Forza, Will it exist in the USA ???

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 2017 Model Forza, Will it exist in the USA ???

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:The question is "Will it exist in the USA".
If it gets dropped for Europe, no chance.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: red

Post by rmc10 »

I have a 2014 I bought about 5 weeks ago. It had 2200 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 3750 miles on it. It already had recalls done on it when I bought it. Up to this point I haven't had to do anything to it. I have been riding goldwings for last ten years, but after riding this Forza I could care less for the Goldwing. Love my Forza.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

rmc10 wrote:I have a 2014 I bought about 5 weeks ago. It had 2200 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 3750 miles on it. It already had recalls done on it when I bought it. Up to this point I haven't had to do anything to it. I have been riding goldwings for last ten years, but after riding this Forza I could care less for the Goldwing. Love my Forza.
Very low milage for a '14 bike bought so recently - well done!
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

gn2 wrote:
JetPilot wrote: As with all things it pays not to be an early adopter.

Both my Thai Hondas were bought within months of their release.....
I really like the CB500 but my head just won't let me buy one.

Hi GN2,

With version 1.0 of any product, you can expect problems. If you judge a countries production based on V1.0 models, you are only screwing yourself. If you want a Motorcycle, a CB500X is an AWESOME bike, light, comfortable, good handling, and a reputation for bullet proof reliable, smooth engine with a very usable power band. It also had nice updates for 2016. The CB500X is not the fastest bike out there, but for me the most enjoyable to ride. It will do 85 MPH all day long, and tops out just above 100 MPH, I have zero interest in going faster and ending my riding forever...

From what you say, I think it is your emotions that are keeping you away from Thailand built Hondas. If you use your head, you would go over reliability reports from hundreds of people in all the forums, see peoples reports, and make an intelligent choice. Intelligent reasoning ( your head ) should be telling you to not make a broad judgement of an entire country based on Version 1.0 models. What 2 bikes do you have that were built in Thailand ?

Personally I like my Thai built bikes better than the others, they seem more refined and better technology than my Italian Built Honda SH150i scooter.

Mike
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

davenowherejones wrote:My Forza was one of the very first ones built I suspect. Vin ends in 000098. It was dropped in a parking lot and written off by the insurance over the plastics damages. I technically bought it as a "Wreck" from a back yard re-builder.

I really like riding the Forza. I did 20,000 kilometers last year. 12,000 miles of mostly fun interupted by some frequent mechanical work. I am on my third rear tire already.

Too much typing, not enough riding, gotta go riding and leave this bs behind.
Hi Dave,

Now that you mention this, I have read your reports in the other forum. The problems you reported are very easily fixed, most things so easy that I would consider them minor maintenance items quickly fixed and instantly forgotten. ( like your rear brake pads, easiest fix ever... ). What can not be fixed is bad design, vibration, bad handling, etc. etc. If you think you are unhappy now, try a different scooter for a while, and you will appreciate the Forza a lot more !

Rear Tire: So many things can have an effect on this, you could very easily fix this. Again, it is better to solve the easy, obvious problems than just be mad at the world.

1. Tire brand: Some wear fast, get a harder compound tire.

2. TIRE PRESSURE: Run higher pressures, get better gas milage, tire will also last longer.

3. Riding style: Personally, I do not care think about my tires while riding, I ride the way I enjoy. But I am honest enough to not blame the tire if I wear it out fast by accelerating fast :)

4. Braking: Do you use the front brake to stop, if you use the rear brake ( left lever ) all the time, again, expected a lot more wear on the rear tire...

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

JetPilot wrote:What 2 bikes do you have that were built in Thailand ?
I've had two Thai Hondas, a PCX 125 and a Forza 300.
Both have had serious quality issues, that's a 100% failure rate out of all the Thai Hondas I've owned...

Not just the country of manufacture, its Honda, the worst mechanical problems I've ever encountered with any bike was a Japan built Honda, a VFR750 which had an engine made out of chocolate.

You're probably right, it could well be an emotional thing, I'm just plain torn in two by the Forza, when I get on it and ride it its brilliant, when I sit and think about the problems I've had with it (and may yet have) I just hate it.

Add in that when I went to the dealer ready to buy a new NC750S DCT and they couldn't get me one I'm even more pissed off with Honda, although that's really unfair because the reasons for lack of stock are beyond Hondas control.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

For the sake of balance I've got to Thai Hondas.

Not a single problem with either. 0% failure rate
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

JetPilot wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:My Forza was one of the very first ones built I suspect. Vin ends in 000098. It was dropped in a parking lot and written off by the insurance over the plastics damages. I technically bought it as a "Wreck" from a back yard re-builder.

I really like riding the Forza. I did 20,000 kilometers last year. 12,000 miles of mostly fun interupted by some frequent mechanical work. I am on my third rear tire already.

Hi Dave,

Now that you mention this, I have read your reports in the other forum. The problems you reported are very easily fixed, most things so easy that I would consider them minor maintenance items quickly fixed and instantly forgotten. ( like your rear brake pads, easiest fix ever... SO WHAT IS THIS EASIEST FIX EVER, I NEED TO KNOW). What can not be fixed is bad design, vibration, bad handling, etc. etc. If you think you are unhappy now, try a different scooter for a while, and you will appreciate the Forza a lot more ! I HAVE RIDDEN OTHER SCOOTERS, BWS, GEELY, BURGMAN 650, MAJESTY 400, LOTS OF THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THE FORZA AND A FEW I DON'T.

Rear Tire: So many things can have an effect on this, you could very easily fix this. Again, it is better to solve the easy, obvious problems than just be mad at the world. I AM HAVING A GREAT TIME ON THE FORZA, IT IS LIKE A FORMER GIRLFRIEND WHO WAS HIGH MAINTENANCE BUT FUN ANYWAY BUT AFTER A WHILE IT WAS TOO MUCH WORK.

1. Tire brand: Some wear fast, get a harder compound tire.

Not much choice for the Forza, I have the Michelin CityGrip, what would you recommend?

2. TIRE PRESSURE: Run higher pressures, get better gas milage, tire will also last longer.

I am running the stock pressures, I find if I run them much higher the ride gets too harsh with the less than premium stock suspension.

3. Riding style: Personally, I do not care think about my tires while riding, I ride the way I enjoy. But I am honest enough to not blame the tire if I wear it out fast by accelerating fast :)

Hey we are talking Forza here, it cannot do burnouts, it can barely accelerate fast, and the ABS stops the brakes from locking up.

4. Braking: Do you use the front brake to stop, if you use the rear brake ( left lever ) all the time, again, expected a lot more wear on the rear tire... TIRE??? BRAKE PADS YES, REAR WHEEL WON"T LOCK UP DUE TO ABS.

The front brakes are pretty good on the Forza because the ABS stops them from locking up. Scooter braking is different from the dual sports I have also owned.

Mike
I have done about 300,000 km on 7 different bikes (CB 125, GPZ 305, BWS, Geely 150, KLX 250, DR650, Forza 300) and ridden many others for short distances.

SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS, JUST WANTED MY COMMENTS SEPARATE FROM YOURS.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

davenowherejones wrote:
JetPilot wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:
I have done about 300,000 km on 7 different bikes (CB 125, GPZ 305, BWS, Geely 150, KLX 250, DR650, Forza 300) and ridden many others for short distances.

SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS, JUST WANTED MY COMMENTS SEPARATE FROM YOURS.
Hi Dave,

That is awesome ! I hope I can match that record one day. I have been riding a long time, but just do not get to ride often enough to get a crazy number of miles like that yet... I ride only for enjoyment, so its often just once a week :(

Mike
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hi Dave,

That is awesome ! I hope I can match that record one day. I have been riding a long time, but just do not get to ride often enough to get a crazy number of miles like that yet... I ride only for enjoyment, so its often just once a week :(

Mike

I go the long way round a few times. Like in 1982 when I rode on a Honda CB125 from Burnaby, SFU to my parents house in Abbotsford, BC via St John's, Newfoundland. A 60 km trip that took 16,000 km. Or yesterday to Chilliwack, BC via the Sowaqua pull off to look at 110 foot wind turbine blades being towed up the mountains. Direct was 60 km, my Forza way was about 200 km.

Too much fun.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

you you wrote:For the sake of balance I've got to Thai Hondas.
Multiple bikes, no dictionary :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't you hate it when some-one picks you up on your English, or spelling? :lol: :lol: :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:
you you wrote:For the sake of balance I've got to Thai Hondas.
Multiple bikes, no dictionary :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't you hate it when some-one picks you up on your English, or spelling? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knot really :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

JetPilot wrote:

Hi Dave,

Now that you mention this, I have read your reports in the other forum. The problems you reported are very easily fixed, most things so easy that I would consider them minor maintenance items quickly fixed and instantly forgotten. ( like your rear brake pads, easiest fix ever... ).

Mike
So what is this easy fix for the rear brakes?
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Hi Dave,

I saw the picture you posted of one pad worn out, and the other one almost like new... That means the caliper is not sliding on its mounts very well, so only one side of the pad us being used for breaking. Take the caliper off, clean it up really well where it slides on slider, and put a high quality grease on it. That way when you brake, it will use both pads equally, that alone will almost double your rear brake life.

Also, the front brake is of higher capacity than the rear brake. Maybe you are using the left ( rear ) brake almost all the time, instead of the front one to stop ? Hondas combined braking is there, but not a really good balance of braking... Use the larger, huger capacity front brake more often, do not count on Hondas combined braking, it does not give you a good, realistic balance between front and rear. Braking on a motorcycle is ideally something like 70 % front, 30 % rear.

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Braking is dependent on a number of factors, among which is the loading on the wheels.
The weight balance of a maxi scooter is very different to a standard motorcycle and consequently the rear brake is more effective more of the time.
Habitually use both brake levers all the time and so long as you have ABS you won't go wrong when that "oh shit" moment comes along....
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:Braking is dependent on a number of factors, among which is the loading on the wheels.
The weight balance of a maxi scooter is very different to a standard motorcycle and consequently the rear brake is more effective more of the time.
Habitually use both brake levers all the time and so long as you have ABS you won't go wrong when that "oh shit" moment comes along....
I agree about scooter braking being different. I use both most of the time and the front is very effective.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

JetPilot wrote:Hi Dave,

I saw the picture you posted of one pad worn out, and the other one almost like new... That means the caliper is not sliding on its mounts very well, so only one side of the pad us being used for breaking. Take the caliper off, clean it up really well where it slides on slider, and put a high quality grease on it. That way when you brake, it will use both pads equally, that alone will almost double your rear brake life.

Also, the front brake is of higher capacity than the rear brake. Maybe you are using the left ( rear ) brake almost all the time, instead of the front one to stop ? Hondas combined braking is there, but not a really good balance of braking... Use the larger, huger capacity front brake more often, do not count on Hondas combined braking, it does not give you a good, realistic balance between front and rear. Braking on a motorcycle is ideally something like 70 % front, 30 % rear.

Mike
The caliper was cleaned and greased. I still had the very bad sticking problem. I think my extreme rain riding and poor Honda design got rid of the grease. (CAT is right next to the rear brake, poor rear fenders feed dirt/water into the caliper, Forza is too heavy for a single front disk)

I use both brakes most of the time. Scooters are more like 50/50. My DR650 was 70/30. My KLX 250 was almost 80/20 (rears were almost useless but good for sliding the rear wheel)

I am going to use the Forza front more because I have extra front pads. But to stop in a hurry the Forza really does need the rears.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

davenowherejones wrote: The caliper was cleaned and greased. I still had the very bad sticking problem. I think my extreme rain riding and poor Honda design got rid of the grease. (CAT is right next to the rear brake, poor rear fenders feed dirt/water into the caliper, Forza is too heavy for a single front disk)

I use both brakes most of the time. Scooters are more like 50/50. My DR650 was 70/30. My KLX 250 was almost 80/20 (rears were almost useless but good for sliding the rear wheel)

I am going to use the Forza front more because I have extra front pads. But to stop in a hurry the Forza really does need the rears.
Hi Dave,

That is crazy, the pads in your picture were really worn completely on one side, and almost no wear on the other pad. Something is not letting that caliper float correctly. I guess next I would check to see if there is a piece of metal preventing it from moving, etc.etc. You never know, they might have forgotten to install some washers or spacer somewhere so it is positioned badly ?, etc. etc. Yours was such an extreme case of uneven wear, it most definitely was not " pinching " the disc like it should.

I have a like new Honda XR650L with only 5000 miles, never left outside, and the steering bearings need to be replaced already. That is bike in production 20 years now in Japan, with a excellent reputation... Sometimes, you just get unlucky and have to deal with problems.

If you can get that issue solved, it would double the life of the rear brake, and it would probably work a lot better also :) Speaking of brakes, a question, Have you tried the ABS much in slick conditions ? Being a new design bike, I would think the ABS would be really good, what is your experience with it ? I have ABS on my CB500X and it works so well, I actually found myself just hitting the front brake hard, and seeing how quickly the ABS activated to see how much traction there was in mud, etc, when I ride on dirt roads. It even worked on wet grass that was every bit as slick as snow :) So I am hoping the ABS on the FORZA is as good !

Mike
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went to an empty parking lot to try the Forza ABS. You can just jam on the fronts and they shudder to a stop quickly. The activation of the ABS is definitely felt and the first instinct is to release the brake. Full front & rear ABS means you better get a foot down in a hurry or you will fall over.

I have also down this on gravel roads. I did one 3000 ft descent down a gravel switchback road. It was very un-nerving for the ABS to release and then grab again but I never did fall over which could have happened very easily if I was manually controlling the brakes. Manually I would have been dragging the rear tire a lot.The Forza is definitely not an off-road bike but around here sometimes the roads are bad.

I have replaced one of the caliper guide pins. I could not get the skinny one out so I left it. Lubed it up and will check the brakes every few thousand km which is only a couple of weeks in the summer. It seems good now but yesterday I was riding in an ugly rain so we will see.

To get this slightly back on topic. I hear that Americans don't know how to use ABS. The brake shudder scares them into releasing the car brake pedal and they crash. Mind you youtube is full of bad American driving. Also lots of drunk Russians??? All car drivers are stupid and I just get out of their way. It's a Forza, I don't argue, I run and hide, I would rather be behind you than you be behind me. I don't trust anyone. Paranoid but alive.

It is not a Harley so I don't know why Honda even sells motorcycles in the USA.

ps I saw a couple riding a SMAX the other day. Scooters over 49cc are very rare around here. I see more electric really low speed scooters than even 49cc jobs. Canada and the USA are just not scooter places, the distances and speeds are too great.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am really surprised that the Forza ever existed in the USA. It is such a fat ass bike, mind you, there are a lot of fat assed Americans. I am Canadian and I thought the scooter was too wide until I sat my fat ass on it, it fits.

I rode my scooter to the Manning Park Sub-Alpine are yesterday. It went up to the 6500 foot level with no problem. The 5km of hard packed gravel was also no problem. The washboard sections were a tit bouncing problem, I need to lose a little weight or gain some chest muscles.

The Forza is definitely not an USA interstate highway motorcycle but it does fine on Canada's slower highways. I get out of everybody's way anyway. Some people are scared to pass me with my lime green jacket and white helmet.

I think the Forza will be replaced in the USA by Honda's new 750 Adventure scooter but it will be just as poor a seller as the Forza.

Does anyone know how many Forza's were sold in Canada and the USA?