Overheating and cutting out - from too much oil??

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Overheating and cutting out - from too much oil??

Post by gn2 »

Sell it and buy a new one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Tear it down and fix it... a hard lesson to learn from oil overfill but there are more exciting things to learn from tearing down your engine :)
megb
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by megb »

I don't think it was actually anything to do with oil over-fill in the end. That was one of my thoughts in the beginning, but when i took it to the mech the first time, he checked the oil level and it wasn't high. Think i hadn't been checking it on level ground the first time round! :roll: :?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

If it is a leaking head I would have thought you would see some oil emulsion somewhere, can you get the cooling system pressure tested as I recon a leaking gasket should give a higher pressure.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
megb
Color: Black

Post by megb »

The 2nd mech I went to also said that, but then the first mech (who was the one who'd taken it apart, changed the broken part, but couldn't take on the job of changing the gasket due to time constraints), said that the oil emulsion would only happen on a "severe" head gasket issue. His diagnosis is that it's not a severe issue yet, but that there is probably cylinder warping that should be "skimmed", and possibly damage on gaskets so replacing those would be good idea.

Don't understand what you said about checking the cooling system pressure?? :?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/coola ... nosis.html
I find it hard to imagine your cylinder/head is warped. With the amount of coolant lost and the oil capacity of the scooter I would think you would see some emulsion.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Put some dye in the coolant..Change oil and run it for a good period then drain oil and shine a black light in the oil.If there is a leak the dye will glow Could it be that the high oil level was a mixture of coolant in the oil ?? Also check the plug for rust overnight set however not sure about the iron content on a Honda plug. Also can do a compression test and or better still a leakdown test..