Wider Tires

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Wider Tires

Post by kramnala58 »

Pcxdemon wrote:And whats it like to ride it with wider tires? Do you think its affecting its speed in anyway? I asume handling would improve dramaticly...Cheers
Notwithstanding the comments of others, I actually do notice a difference, particularly when weaving in and out of traffic. I had never ridden a bike before and had only rode about 200kms on the old tires before getting them swapped out. I hadn't given it much thought, but as soon as I pulled away from the shop that installed them, I immediately noticed the difference, almost to the point that it caught me off guard. Maybe it's because I have ridden another few hundred kms that I have more confidence, but I feel like the tires assist in that also. Of all places to learn where to ride a bike, I chose the heart of Bangkok ... I certainly get lots of practice weaving between cars and then it is a dash off the light with 25-30 other bikes. o_O
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Thanks, kramnala when you posted pics of your PCX I thought your tires looked big...(that is why I asked the size).
Is your speedometer off a bit with the 140?.. I figure i should be able to do about 70mph with the taller tire.(before cut out)
I just ordered me some 120/70 & 140/70 tires, and i'm currently working on fender and air filter mods right now anyway. 8)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

dasshreddar wrote:Is your speedometer off a bit with the 140?..
I haven't noticed as I hadn't checked it with a GPS before the swap, nor have I since then. With driving in the heart of a mega city like Bangkok, I don't get the chance to do too much cruising or to open the throttle for extended periods. Max speed is hard to get to in the city ... but there is the odd occasion. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Well, I got my FAT tires on :D 120-70-14 and 140-70-14, and they barely fit... o_O
the front side "hairs" actually just touch the fork legs, and the rear tire almost touches the engine case :o
And these sizes are as big as you can go on a PCX with stock rims and spacing.
Attachments
IMAG0158 (2).jpg
IMAG0158 (2).jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
IMAG0155 (2).jpg
IMAG0155 (2).jpg (65.48 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

I liked the tread pattern so I ended up getting a Pirelli GTS 23 and 24. :D
Attachments
IMAG0156 (2).jpg
IMAG0156 (2).jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
IMAG0157 (2).jpg
IMAG0157 (2).jpg (114.01 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Can you get some pics from further out?

Does it handle the same?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Why do they put hair on tires? About as much point as under arm hair ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:Why do they put hair on tires? About as much point as under arm hair ;)

And why are our armpits the wrong way up for showering? Clear design fault
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Yea picture from a distance is required. Also i reckon 120-70/14 for the rear and 100-90/14(the rear tyre) for the front would be safe option and reasonable upgrade..
Has it affected performance in any way,good or bad..?
Cheers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

More pics when I get a chance... HUGE difference on rough roads and off road now :D
You can take pot holes and speed bumps with ease 8)
So much more "soft feel"(same air pressure as stock).
Handeling is about the same, but you can take rough corners faster it seems ;)

I was actually thinking about getting a 120-80(front tire) for the rear, but i'm happy with my selection.
a 120 rear and 100 front sounds ok, but nobody makes them in a rear specific and front specific size(US anyway). :roll:
since 120s and 140s are common on bigger scoots, burgman etc. there is a decent selection to be had.

I would definitely recommend wider tires over stock :)
I assume the speedo will be off now, I will have to GPS verify it some day :geek:
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

dasshreddar wrote: I assume the speedo will be off now, I will have to GPS verify it some day :geek:
I guess speedo might be spot on now as you have lifted the tire hight up :geek: . Speedo was already some 10% off so that should make it fairly close :roll: .
Im very curious at what it will be when you test it out.... :geek:
8)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

The ther day I spent some time with a tyre comparison chart and it looks impossible to fit wider tyres to the PCX without altering the gearing. Those of you who have should have a longer gearing now. How has that affected the performance and handling of the bike?.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

This is a little off topic but my wife and I ride as a team when we go places. I ride my Burgman 400 and she rides her PCX 150. She has no problem keeping up or leading. We even take it on the freeway sometimes, though we'd both prefer not to. What I don't understand though is why her trip meter is always off from mine at the end of a long ride, sometimes as much as .5 miles, even though we stick together. Hers is always HIGHER than mine. WHY?? Would changing the tires to a larger size help or hurt this problem?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Difference in wheel size, tire size (rubber meets the road) Revolutions of wheel? Sounds like a cause(s) I'm thinking, right? wrong? :roll:
So nice that you two can ride together the way you do. Such a plus in my book! Be safe Mr. and Mrs. Mel....& enjoy! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

:ugeek: ok I gps verified the speed of my oversized tire and appears to be 4 mph over what the speedometer reads. :ugeek:
so, riding the rev limiter at 67mph... gps said I was doing 71mph. 8)
and at 50 it was 54 and at 60 it was 64, so it appers to be good 4 mph off. :)
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

So you have increased the gearing by a lot then...as its under reading by 4% as supposed to over reading by 10%. Awesome result..Did you notice a drop in acceleration times?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:This is a little off topic but my wife and I ride as a team when we go places. I ride my Burgman 400 and she rides her PCX 150. She has no problem keeping up or leading. We even take it on the freeway sometimes, though we'd both prefer not to. What I don't understand though is why her trip meter is always off from mine at the end of a long ride, sometimes as much as .5 miles, even though we stick together. Hers is always HIGHER than mine. WHY?? Would changing the tires to a larger size help or hurt this problem?
Is it a problem?
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Pcxdemon wrote:So you have increased the gearing by a lot then...as its under reading by 4% as supposed to over reading by 10%. Awesome result..Did you notice a drop in acceleration times?
I don't think my speedo was that inaccurate with the stock tire...(10%) maybe the 125 has this problem?

Acceleration times are negligible if any 8)
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

The speedo on my 150 over-reads by 10%.
140/70-14 OD is 3% more than stock.
150/70-14 OD is 5.6% more than stock.

Is there any chance that a 150/70-14 would fit on the PCX?

Would be nice if I could get a 130/90-14.
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

edscoot wrote:Get some Michelin City Grips. You can lean so far over in a corner that you scrape the panels. See here.

Plenty of grip and very predictable, I can't see a bigger tyre giving any advantage over standard sizes - braking maybe? Anyone know?
Dunlop Scootsmart.....

When i first got my PCX a few months back, i thought that there wasn't much stability. It seemed like the tires weren't gripping the road and would spin more than it would propel the bike. I thought that's what bikes were like as i hadn't ridden a motorcycle before....other than a short stint at learning it a couple of decades ago.

Then i heard that the stock IRC tires weren't very good and that people were skidding on it, or falling off. Being a new and perhaps overly-cautious rider, i got the Dunlop 'Scootsmart'.

What a big difference! Stability. Cornering was very grippy. The retailer - from Bishop Stortford - i bought the bike from thought i was 'cuckoo' for changing my tires so soon, and said that i just didn't have the skill yet, and that my feelings were purely psychological.

But that wouldn't be true, especially since i wasn't expecting stability that i could actually feel. I just thought that the stability would be something i'd have without feeling it. But when i cornered, or just rode, i was pleasantly surprised that it was as more than just a safety add-on that you wouldn't feel.

But i don't find much reviews on these tires on the net. Mostly about the Michelin City Grips.
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist