At a red light and it wont change

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

Anyone else hate when this happens? you are at a light going left and i guess your weight+bike wont trigger the sensor to make the light change. Theres a few pain in the butt turns in my area that are like this. If i dont get lucky and have someone behind me in a car then the light wont change.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Re: At a red light and it wont change

Post by Urbanian »

Depending on local law, you may be able to proceed legally through the stuck red light. Here in Missouri the law says if you are riding a vehicle too small to trip the sensor, after you wait for a reasonable length of time, it is legal to proceed as though you were at a flashing red. I’ve only gone through a red like this one time (and rather smugly, too).
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

happyscooter wrote:Anyone else hate when this happens? you are at a light going left and i guess your weight+bike wont trigger the sensor to make the light change. Theres a few pain in the butt turns in my area that are like this. If i dont get lucky and have someone behind me in a car then the light wont change.
I have ran into this issue too here in Illinois.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Here's an article on it, listing a few other states where it's legal as well: http://www.examiner.com/article/three-s ... red-lights

The bill is still pending in GA: http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/ ... 41_a_2.htm

In addition (to make things more confusing in my state), I've seen county regulations for Fulton County (most of Atlanta) that actually say it is legal to do this already after waiting an "appropriate" amount of time, leaving the judgement to the rider...

I often run red lights on my scooter. The sensors here are not sensitive enough to pick up my PCX, so if I get skipped or am waiting more than 30 seconds, I'll usually run it. The cops here don't pull over scooters ever -- it's not worth their trouble. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

maddiedog wrote:. The cops here don't pull over scooters ever -- it's not worth their trouble. :lol:
It's true!

Knowing the law for 50cc is different for 150, I've asked cops on various occasions how much I can fudge between the two. They always tell me they have better things to do than harass scooters. The last one told me if you park wrong, they'll ticket you, but if you're on the move, and are not doing anything really really stoooopid, they ignore you.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Excellent. I'm going to use it as an excuse
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:( NY is not on the list. What the hay....count to 10 lookie all ways, then >>>>>>>
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

I've had to make use of the law in WI a ton since I got my scoot. Well over half of the lights in my area are triggered. Stop for 30 seconds, no traffic? Zoooooom
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

check you local laws as has been stated.

technically the light should legally be considered as malfunctioning in such situations. i think that once you have waited long enough to be sure at an unfamiliar light, you should go on through. once the light is familiar, you should go through sooner. from my experience with most cops, if i were pulled over for it and polite/ respectful, they would probably be reasonable. if you do run into an unreasonable cop, sign the ticket and go to court. then insist on an actual TRIAL if the judge so much as asks you to pay court costs (its possible in my state at least). it will never go to trial as the courts will be too busy.

here in japan they have buttons you can push to trip the signal. they need to start putting those in in the US!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I have one deserted light on an off ramp I have to consider as malfunctioning almost every night on my way home. If there is no car coming up behind to trip the sensor, I am forced to run it.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Have u guys never heard of magnets? Lights have a magnetic loop that detects the electrical system of a car. When there is as disturbance in the magnetic field it trips the sensor to change the light. There are two ways of helping this happen:

1. Place strong neodymium magnets on your forks, side stand, center stand, etc. the side stand is a good one because you can brig it even lower to the ground to trip the light.

2. Spike your electrical system... Stop the engine and restart.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EddieC wrote:Have u guys never heard of magnets? Lights have a magnetic loop that detects the electrical system of a car. When there is as disturbance in the magnetic field it trips the sensor to change the light. There are two ways of helping this happen:

1. Place strong neodymium magnets on your forks, side stand, center stand, etc. the side stand is a good one because you can brig it even lower to the ground to trip the light.

I've heard of Magnets
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

qed wrote:
EddieC wrote:Have u guys never heard of magnets? Lights have a magnetic loop that detects the electrical system of a car. When there is as disturbance in the magnetic field it trips the sensor to change the light. There are two ways of helping this happen:

I've heard of Magnets

Metal and sticky

Not brown and sticky, that's a stick.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

have you tried this? does it work?

such gadgets and techniques are often discussed when this issue comes up on forums. from what i have read, nothing really works consistantly.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

there was always that ONE light that would never change... and I used to return from work at 2 in the morning... Since I put the magnets on, I've NEVER had a problem... There are a couple other lights its helped with too... In my experience it works like a charm :)
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

EddieC wrote:there was always that ONE light that would never change... and I used to return from work at 2 in the morning... Since I put the magnets on, I've NEVER had a problem... There are a couple other lights its helped with too... In my experience it works like a charm :)
cool, could you tell us more about which magnets you are using and where they are mounted?