Givi/Kappa Monolock Mount Drill Holes

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

After some advice from anyone (and I am sure there are quite a few on here) that has installed a Givi E231 bracket.

I installed it with minimal fuss a few days ago (even managed not to crack the tail plastics) however with having to drill out the holes for the overpriced bracket to go into I am left with a problem I am sure you all now have.....

Ugliness.

It has to be nigh on impossible to be able to drill holes the exact diameter (and ovalised shape) of the bracket fixing, therefore after drilling and mounting you are left with four ugly drilled holes surrounding the base of each of the bracket "legs"

The cheap ass Givi E231 does not come with any covers for the holes to tidy up the installation, and I am wondering if anyone has utilised any good ideas for two reasons...

- Aesthetics
- Waterproofing (worried with the holes now water can run through the metal plate under the tail plastics and enter into the tail light wiring loom.

I had thought about perhaps some flexible waterproof sealant of some kind, like roof guttering sealant piped around the leg of each of the brackets, but this would obviously need reapplying if ever I needed to disassemble the rear of the PCX for any reason. Or maybe anyone knows of suitably sized rubber grommets?

Appreciate any ideas/solutions anyone has with their install.
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Givi/Kappa Monolock Mount Drill Holes

Post by rich666 »

black silicone hose the right diameter cut to length and then slide it over the bracket mounts and make sure it's a snug fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Vacu ... 43ab7edf78

:)
it tastes like...Eagle!
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

figurehead71 wrote:After some advice from anyone (and I am sure there are quite a few on here) that has installed a Givi E231 bracket.

I installed it with minimal fuss a few days ago (even managed not to crack the tail plastics) however with having to drill out the holes for the overpriced bracket to go into I am left with a problem I am sure you all now have.....

Ugliness.

It has to be nigh on impossible to be able to drill holes the exact diameter (and ovalised shape) of the bracket fixing, therefore after drilling and mounting you are left with four ugly drilled holes surrounding the base of each of the bracket "legs"

The cheap ass Givi E231 does not come with any covers for the holes to tidy up the installation, and I am wondering if anyone has utilised any good ideas for two reasons...

- Aesthetics
- Waterproofing (worried with the holes now water can run through the metal plate under the tail plastics and enter into the tail light wiring loom.

I had thought about perhaps some flexible waterproof sealant of some kind, like roof guttering sealant piped around the leg of each of the brackets, but this would obviously need reapplying if ever I needed to disassemble the rear of the PCX for any reason. Or maybe anyone knows of suitably sized rubber grommets?

Appreciate any ideas/solutions anyone has with their install.

I have the Honda box installed on my PCX. The holes in the plastic tail piece were fashioned using a high speed Dremel tool (drilling is impossible). Anyway, there are oversized, thick rubber washers that cover the holes. They are soft enough that they conform to the contour of the tail cover and look pretty good. The material is like a foam rubber with a bit more substance to it.

I don't have any suggestion to offer of the top, but something along what I have described would works. I could take a pic of mine and post it if you like.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Like this ==> Image
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Thanks for the responses guys.

@C-Note...come to think of it, when I was first looking at PCX's a second hand one in the Honda Dealer had a top box mount fitted, I remember looking at it and it having what looked like compressed foam over each leg. If it is of no trouble I would not mind a picture for reference, thanks for offering.

Why Givi don't include anything with their mounts I do not know, especially considering how overpriced they are for what they are, there again they have got you as they are proprietary.

So I guess I will measure the diameter of each of the mount legs, and get some foam/rubber stuff like you have pictured with an internal diameter the same as the legs.

Question is anyone know what I am googling for?! :?

BTW..drilling is possible without a dremel, mine was done with an SDS drill! On low speed setting. Instruction sheet suggested a 17mm Drill bit, I only had a 16 and a 19mm...used the 16..way too small....even the 19mm was! I had to still shave with a file to get a good fit.

Once I find out what the foam/rubber tubing is called, onto the next project...12V power socket installation.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I used to drill and cut oval holes in rear wings of new Mercs when they had electric aerials. You just need a decent hole cutter and a round file.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351622781.994340.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351622781.994340.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351622841.126721.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351622841.126721.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmmm...figurehead, perhaps look here: http://www.midatlanticrubber.com/about.htm
Looking for the "right" bits can be a challenge, good luck finding the "ezy on/ezy off" ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

thanks for the heads up, waiting for my cheap ass 17mm drill bit but sounds like i need to file it down a bit more.

Hopefully you find the right sealant as I will be look for some too.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

At hardware stores in the US (Home Depot and Lowes), they sell neoprene washers that you could put under the fasteners to cover and to seal the holes...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog ... SEARCH+ALL

The images are all generic on that page, but they come in all sorts of inner and outer diameters.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

my cheap ass drill bit didnt arrive, so requested for a refund and ordered a different one. Bought a dremel for other stuff but will use this to widen the hole when I manage to start on mine.

One question though, the silicone hose above, which one do i need? internal diameter to be 16mm? or shall i order it after i fitted mine incase i sand too much?

thanks
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I wouldn't order it -- go to the store, bring the bolt, and get the size that has the right inner diameter. Outer diameter doesn't matter too much, since it'll just stick out it the outer diameter is large. The inner diameter is the important measurement...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes