New to the PCX Foum.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New to the PCX Foum.

Post by homie »

Chief says you have chosen well. And he suggest not buying extended warranty if you are any kind of handy at all. Everything you need is in here since the first model rolled off the assembly line. We already know what you might need before you need it and how to install it. Get yourself a service manual and do all your maintenance yourself if you like. There is a complete 5k walk through service video at my youtube channel with valve clearance check procedure anytime. Just blow off the dealer service checks and fees saving the cash for accessories.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.as ... itemtype=N
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 867 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here is what you will be getting into with a scooter, don't be overwhelmed by what you see. You said you wanted to tool it yourself and I agree its fun. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wokgYeAxFP

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... iCDqtNmXyP
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black Metallic

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

homie wrote:Here is what you will be getting into with a scooter, don't be overwhelmed by what you see. You said you wanted to tool it yourself and I agree its fun. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wokgYeAxFP

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... iCDqtNmXyP
hey thanks HOMIE! lol I have that page in my favorites on youtube. Just need to get the bike so I can enjoy the ride then tinker with the setup...after I find out what the max speed will be on the one I get. 5' 9" tall 28-32" inseam and now down to 165lbs max. So a lighter muffler and better short version wind screen may do me just fine. I just have to figure out how I can carry my fishing poles lol

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18)
Metallic Black
Leo Vince GP Corsa Exhaust
NCY Variator Kit and Drive Face with 18g rollers
Givi Windscreen D1136T
2 Wheels Down Head on a Swivel
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Heedehcheenuh wrote: I just have to figure out how I can carry my fishing poles lol
I drag around a metal detector that collapses into the PCX luggage box. Honda does not make a kit but there is nothing new under the sun so I bet you could buy a pole that breaks down nicely. Or with your mechanical skills, some PVC, zip ties and rod clips attached to that top box you want... you could rig it just like you're trolling.

Off you go fishing... except where do you put the fish :lol:
Attachments
scooter4july1blog.jpg
scooter4july1blog.jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

homie wrote:
Heedehcheenuh wrote: I just have to figure out how I can carry my fishing poles lol
I drag around a metal detector that collapses into the PCX luggage box. Honda does not make a kit but there is nothing new under the sun so I bet you could buy a pole that breaks down nicely. Or with your mechanical skills, some PVC, zip ties and rod clips attached to that top box you want... you could rig it just like you're trolling.

Off you go fishing... except where do you put the fish :lol:
I just catch and put back. Then watch the faces of those around me figure how I catch so many and they have few. The fish know free food when they see it then get to stay alive lol.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Update.
May of this year I purchased a 2017 Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc and have enjoyed it. Now I have been cleared on the purchase of the 2015 Honda PCX150 (Black) and hope to have it at the house either today or Sat. Been a long wait but things are starting to come together. I put 1,000k on the PMX and enjoy her but I need a long ride bike not the short stop and fill me up bake lol. I have seen mods to get the PCX150 up to the speed I need so no issues on that end. I did get the PMX up to 65mph GPS but that was way to squirrely for me, The Honda will be much more stable for sure. I am going to sell the PMX as soon as I can and enjoy the ride with the Honda. My son just put together a 200? Honda CBR600-F4 so we can ride together. His bike my go but I will sip gas around him lol.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

If you need 65 consistently, you shouldn't buy a PCX. It will not comfortably cruise at 65, that is flat-out. You should get a 250 or 300 class bike.

In the affordable price range:

- Used Honda Helix
- Used Honda Reflex
- SYM makes some
- Used Yamaha Majesty 400
- Yamaha SMax (10 mph faster than PCX, but 20 mpg less efficient)

I've done expressway riding on bigger scooters: Burgman 400 and Silverwing 600. It's not really fun, no matter the bike. County highways are a lot more fun, and no more exhausting, even though it takes longer to get where you're going.
-Jeremy
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Smaug wrote:If you need 65 consistently, you shouldn't buy a PCX. It will not comfortably cruise at 65, that is flat-out. You should get a 250 or 300 class bike.

In the affordable price range:

- Used Honda Helix
- Used Honda Reflex
- SYM makes some
- Used Yamaha Majesty 400
- Yamaha SMax (10 mph faster than PCX, but 20 mpg less efficient)

I've done expressway riding on bigger scooters: Burgman 400 and Silverwing 600. It's not really fun, no matter the bike. County highways are a lot more fun, and no more exhausting, even though it takes longer to get where you're going.
The PCX will work for me. As long as I can hold 60-65 mph and not get run over or be a rolling road block. I will be fine. There are not many options here for scooters and being on a very tight budget (disabled) Honda works for me right now. The PMX would hold 53-55mph and would drop off lower pulling hills. Now I have to sell it to recoup some of my funding.

Thanks
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I agree with Smaug, if you need to hold 60 MPH on the PCX then you are going to wish you had something with a little more oommppphhhhh. :geek:

Before you take the plunge you may want to look around a little more to see what's available in your area in the 250cc to 400cc range that you think you can handle. Even the new Honda CB300F is not that much more expensive than the PCX and will do 65 MPH all day long. You can get leftovers on sale. . .just make sure they did the "recall" work on the motor. 8)

I've got almost 800 miles on my PCX now and can tell you that with my weight (250 lbs) riding into a headwind it takes some patience to get to 55 MPH. On a flat with no headwind or hill I can get to 60 MPH a little faster. Since I'm still breaking it in I'm going to try for whatever it will top out at after I hit 800 miles. I'm thinking if I can get 65 MPH on a reach I'll be happy. Cruising at 55 MPH would be more realistic. . .45 MPH would be better. ;)

Not trying to rain on your parade but do consider the options and your needs before leaping into the PCX. :)

Personally, I have no regrets getting the PCX (although I wish the seat was a little more cushioned) but when I read you wanted to do over 60 MPH regularly I thought you should know it's a stretch. :geek:
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

PCX150Rider wrote:I agree with Smaug, if you need to hold 60 MPH on the PCX then you are going to wish you had something with a little more oommppphhhhh. :geek:

Before you take the plunge you may want to look around a little more to see what's available in your area in the 250cc to 400cc range that you think you can handle. Even the new Honda CB300F is not that much more expensive than the PCX and will do 65 MPH all day long. You can get leftovers on sale. . .just make sure they did the "recall" work on the motor. 8)

I've got almost 800 miles on my PCX now and can tell you that with my weight (250 lbs) riding into a headwind it takes some patience to get to 55 MPH. On a flat with no headwind or hill I can get to 60 MPH a little faster. Since I'm still breaking it in I'm going to try for whatever it will top out at after I hit 800 miles. I'm thinking if I can get 65 MPH on a reach I'll be happy. Cruising at 55 MPH would be more realistic. . .45 MPH would be better. ;)

Not trying to rain on your parade but do consider the options and your needs before leaping into the PCX. :)

Personally, I have no regrets getting the PCX (although I wish the seat was a little more cushioned) but when I read you wanted to do over 60 MPH regularly I thought you should know it's a stretch. :geek:
There lies my problem. I have R.A. stage 3-4 and have issues with my hands feet shoulder etc. My right hand turns right from the knuckles to the tips, left hand is not in great shape, feet I can stand but not very long. The scooter(s) work for me with the weight and ease of operating. I have rode the PMX for some time and distance but with a 1 gal tank and no umph at all it does not fit my needs. The PCX/Smax are perfect for me weight wise and ease of use. I wanted the Suzuki Burgman 200 but no one will deal with me around here with one. Longest run on my PCX was 80 miles round trip and she worked perfect other than stopping to fill up again. With the mods I have seen listed for the PCX it works out better for me. 55-60mph on my runs will work out fine. Then later if any thing I can trade in for the Burgman 200 if I am not totally down from my disability.
I am 5'9" tall and weight in at 160-165lbs depends on this R.A. at times.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Arthritis is the pits. . .. Sorry to read that. :(

We do what we need to survive and adjust and adapt right? Good luck with your scooter situation. . .. :geek:
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

She is here. Midnight blue with the metal sparkle. Looks black but she is not. Rode home 53+ miles and not even a 1/3rd tank of fuel. Hit rev limiter a few times but she can hold 55-60mph smooth and up hills. Did not have any issues with comfort and with the wind blowing I was not bounced around like I thought I would be. Ohhh I am a happy rider/camper now. I will look into the variator mods to bump up the speed so not to hit the rev limiter on those shorts hills lol. First thought it was som weak gas but then I remembered ...

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

She is here. Midnight blue with the metal sparkle. Looks black but she is not. Rode home 53+ miles and not even a 1/3rd tank of fuel. Hit rev limiter a few times but she can hold 55-60mph smooth and up hills. Did not have any issues with comfort and with the wind blowing I was not bounced around like I thought I would be. Ohhh I am a happy rider/camper now. I will look into the variator mods to bump up the speed so not to hit the rev limiter on those shorts hills lol. First thought it was som weak gas but then I remembered ...
Congrats on your new Dark Pearl Blue PCX!

You'll like those LED lights for night riding. They really do a good job. 8)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Heedehcheenuh wrote:She is here. Midnight blue with the metal sparkle. Looks black but she is not. Rode home 53+ miles and not even a 1/3rd tank of fuel. Hit rev limiter a few times but she can hold 55-60mph smooth and up hills. Did not have any issues with comfort and with the wind blowing I was not bounced around like I thought I would be. Ohhh I am a happy rider/camper now. I will look into the variator mods to bump up the speed so not to hit the rev limiter on those shorts hills lol. First thought it was som weak gas but then I remembered ...

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Hey - congrats on the new ride!

With regards to variator mods ... keep in mind that I'm about as far from being an expert as it's possible to be in that department - but - as I see it, most of the variator mods only seem to affect acceleration; to increase bike speed as I see it one would either need higher RPM (ain't gunna happen) or something that effectively made the variator circumference bigger at the front and smaller at the back - and even if that were a happening thing, I'd have to wonder what kind of impact it was going to have on engine life and fuel consumption due to considerable extra loading (kinda like "if it was that easily doable then why wouldn't Honda have designed it that way in the first place?). No such thing as a free lunch in that dept.

I've had my (2014 model, 2013 design) PCX for just over 2 years now - pretty much the most it gets up to on the flat with neutral wind is 110 km/hr indicated (which is 100 km/hr true) - at 112 indicated the rev limiter kicks in, but I usually need a small downhill for that to happen (or a tail wind). Fuel consumption kicks up dramatically at wide-open-throttle though; if I stick to city routes where my max speed is 50 - 60 km/hr then I get 230km to when the last segment starts flashing (mine has the 5.9l tank and I refill after using about 5l) - but if I take the bike down the motorway (so about 1/3 of my daily running is wide-open-throttle range tops out at only about 180km. I'd guess that the economy is close to halved at full throttle.

Not sure what the 2015 model fuel gauge accuracy is like, but on mine it's not great. I fill the tank literally to the point of overflowing - then the gauge stays on full for about 80km - couple of bars down at 100km. By the time it gets to 5 bars I know I'm down to about 50km range to go. Yours might be completely different; you'll get to know it quickly enough, but may pay to not go too far from a gas station when it's indicating close to empty until you get more of a feel for it.

I don't have a lot of experience with other bikes, but I find the PCX to be the ducks nuts (as we say) - I'm regularly giving my adult daughter rides into town on the back one day - strapping a computer or printer box on the back with a couple of ratchet straps the next (cross them over and anchor the ends on the hand grip to the side of the passenger seat) the next day - and even taking it on a 500km trip with underseat and Givi box loaded up with stuff and a pack on my back - it does it all. I'm at 31,000km now after a couple or so years and can honestly say there's very little I'd want to change (other than a couple more horsepower) - it's a real workhorse (my nickname for the bike is "Horse") (short for horse-power / work-horse).
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PS: One small "heads up" - watch your tire pressures and tyre life - I've had up to 14,000km out of a rear tire, but I've also had 4 flats (3 rapid deflations whilst riding) - all because I pushed the tire for too many km. They start round on the outside and round on the inside - as they get flattened across the outside it's still round on the inside and heading towards a tangent in the middle (doh!). My strict limit now is 10,000km (having the bike hauled back to the dealer on a truck costs more than one saves by trying to stretch it out - and then of course even more importantly is the safety aspect - a sudden flat on a bike is one of the worst feelings ever on a bike - I was lucky in that respect). With regards to pressures, I invested in a FOBO set of sensors https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE - this crowd REALLY impressed me. Fast response to questions - discovered that international courier was part of the price - arrived with batteries fitted AND a spare set of batteries plus some additional mounting hardware free of charge - AND they've worked absolutely flawlessly. They're set to give me a cellphone alert if pressure exceeds certain limits. It's quite interesting to see how much the cold and after-running pressures vary too (up to about 5psi).

Hope this helps.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Congrats on the new PCX. SMax would've been better for you, but you weren't hearing that.

You'll have to accept 60 mph cruising speed now; I hope that doesn't leave you yearning for more I the near future. These are too expensive to be swapping all thetime if you buy new.

Sorry to hear about the RA too. That's hard to live with.

Oh well, at 165 lbs. You're not to much of a load on the little engine. I think you CAN get a few more mph out of variator mods.
-Jeremy
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

84 mile round trip run to visit my brother. Perfect run for the day. Ran good and more than kept pace with traffic the whole trip.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Excellent!

And it will be even more excellent the first time you fill the tank, and leave the station giggling.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Smaug wrote:Congrats on the new PCX. SMax would've been better for you, but you weren't hearing that.
No one around here has any scoots to work with. Lucky I found this one. This is HD country no ifs ands or buts about it.
Smaug wrote: You'll have to accept 60 mph cruising speed now; I hope that doesn't leave you yearning for more I the near future. These are too expensive to be swapping all thetime if you buy new.
Taller rear tire and variator mod will do me for now. As long as I can hit a hill running 60mph and not hit the rev limiter she works fine.
Smaug wrote: Sorry to hear about the RA too. That's hard to live with.
Been battling this so long now I just want to enjoy what I can before I can not enjoy it.
Smaug wrote: Oh well, at 165 lbs. You're not to much of a load on the little engine. I think you CAN get a few more mph out of variator mods.
That's one of my plans but she works good for now.

Thanks,
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

New thread going up on the Honda PCX150
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh