Am i the biggest wimp on the site

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Am i the biggest wimp on the site

Post by you you »

Bike is all waxed and tucked up in the garage ready for next year
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Am i the biggest wimp on the site

Post by Taz »

When I lived in the UK I rode my CX500 all year round. Just stuffed newspapers down my jacket in winter. Most snow there is just slushy on the roads and gritted so no problem. So I dont understand why you wouldnt ride on 98% of days there. In your words, man up ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:When I lived in the UK I rode my CX500 all year round. Just stuffed newspapers down my jacket in winter. Most snow there is just slushy on the roads and gritted so no problem. So I dont understand why you wouldnt ride on 98% of days there. In your words, man up ;)

Why? Been there, done that and only ride for fun now.

Besides I,d get it awfully dirty
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

I bought my PCX specifically for the winter :lol:
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

QED, if you dont work and dont need to go to the shops, fair enough park the bike up over winter. For me its just a means of getting from A to B, either work, shops or to the marina to play with my boat. My kids sometimes come on the back. We have 2 scooter rally's a month here. Only done one so far and will do another soon but agree I do need good weather to want to go on a fun rally ride!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

qed wrote:Bike is all waxed and tucked up in the garage ready for next year
dunno, whats the climate like where you are? does it regularly get below freezing day or night? snow, ice? how often?

here in osaka it only gets below freezing a handful of days per year and sometimes at night but not often. there is rarely snow and ice on the roads in the kansai plain. therefore, i ride all year in the low altitudes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

haildamage wrote:
dunno, whats the climate like where you are? does it regularly get below freezing day or night? snow, ice? how often?

here in osaka it only gets below freezing a handful of days per year and sometimes at night but not often. there is rarely snow and ice on the roads in the kansai plain. therefore, i ride all year in the low altitudes.

Its pretty grim even in the summer tbh
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

just saying we dont know where you live from your info. how cold does it get at the center of the universe.

even if it isnt any colder than where i am, i wouldnt call you a wimp. i'd just say you arent as hardy a rider as some!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

He lives in Yorkshire.
I live in Aberdeenshire and am still riding when there's no snow or ice about.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

gn2 wrote:He lives in Yorkshire.
If thats the case then I think we can answer an emphatic YES :lol:
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

lol, nothing wrong with tucking her to sleep for the winter.

Though i ride all year round, just not in snow or ice, i do take public transport when the temp goes below freezing, just not worth the risk or frostbites! lol

Kudos to you for waxing her up too, need to wash and max mine soon, thought its not been a month since the last wax.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Minus 3 this morning and the roads are gritted, had to scrape the car windows.

Strangely the weather this year has been worse in Yorksire than Scotland. Whatever happened to global warming?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

If I lived where you did, I'd move. :lol: Especially after these two posts: qed on precipitation and qed on stargazing in Yorkshire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, back on topic, I won't ride if there is ice or if they salt the roads, so I wouldn't say you're a wimp. They probably salt the roads here maybe once every 3-5 winters, because most of the time we only get snow or ice on the roads a couple of days a year. If we had snow and ice and grit or salt, I'd be packing my bikes away for the winter too. :(
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The roads here get salted frequently from the end of October till March.
Not unknown for them to be done in September.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

They can also grit the roads during the summer to "condition" them. It's a skinflint way of getting rid of any surface polish

Bastards
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

yea, I bought mine and parked it. I'll take out a dust cloth an ever so delicately polish and remove the dust. I don't dare ride it. It might get dirty and i'd much rather put that 4.00 dollar a gallon gas in my Humvee and drive for a mile........just jokin
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

WIMP ;)
Just kidding mate, I will still be riding in the winter, But I only do about 25 miles a week :oops:
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

When I was on holiday last mth the buffet dinner included 'yorkshire pudding'. The lady in front of me was asking me what it was but I wasnt able to help though a vision of soft compound tires came into my head!
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Roads salted last night and this morning, still riding mine (It lives outside too) I'm too tight fisted to pay the £31 per month parking permit charge (bike is free) or the £5 per day charge!!
Bad Ice yes I'll use the car maybe!
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Ditto that... Sat. I cleaned the screen and changed the oil, filled the gas tank, and dumped in some stablizer. Ran it on the stand for about 10 minutes, then parked it in the garage and covered it up for the winter.

Here in the Chicago area this time of year, there's no riding a bike in the winter. You could head to work in the morning and it could be 75 F outside and by the time you leave to go home it could be snowing. Then in the dead of winter zero - 20 F is common place.