Mom allows "scooter"

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JetFalcon

Mom allows "scooter"

Post by JetFalcon »

So I have been wanting a motorcycle for a long time now and recently I convinced my mom to allow me to buy a scooter with my own money. It was a long hard battle because she's just another motorcycle hating mom. I think the Honda PCX 150 is pretty cool, but my dad says 250-300 cc is plenty and that's where I should be. But I don't get why Honda doesn't have a 250cc scooter and the next one up is a 500-600cc silver wing. They only offer the CBR 250 which is a commuter sport bike.

I like the style of the PCX 150 and I've seen videos of them going on freeways. But a salesman said these bikes are not made for freeway and will need something like a Ninja 300 or CBR 250. Well, mom says I can't go on freeways but that totally limits where I can go if freeways aren't allowed. And any bike that looks like a sport bike she'll say no because she'll think about those super sport bikers who are pulling 100+ mph on the freeway. The salesman said to phrase the ninja 300 & CBR 250 as commuter bikes to my mom, but I don't know how I can convince my mom to look past its aggressive styling.

And since my dad said he'd be fine with me with a 250-300cc, I don't see him trying to prevent me from getting on the freeways. But can a PCX 150 keep up with traffic? Or do I need a 250 cc bike if I want to have freeway available as an option? I also plan to do lane splitting since it's legal in CA.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Mom allows "scooter"

Post by Cracksta »

tbh, it doesnt what bike you have, the risks are still high (not that it will ease your mum's thoughts).

If your getting a bike, then get one you want not what your mum says you cant have.

PCX is a great bike, not sure about the 150cc as we dont have them here in the UK but my 125cc is fine for the city and fast roads and it can do 50mph fairly quickly and the top speed on my routes are 50mph max (60mph on a 125cc though i wouldnt sit at that).

This bike is not for racing or speeding really, i bought this for the fuel saving, i would say test ride them first but maybe someone over the pond can advise :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

What age are you?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

assuming you are in the US?

if i could only have one bike, i would get a 250cc. however, it depends on how YOU will use it of course. if you are just gonna ride it locally a 150 would be fine as long as you dont need to go on the expressway.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:What age are you?
You had to ask... :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yep, I prefer to ask questions rather than remain ignorant.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Yep, I prefer to ask questions rather than remain ignorant.

Just think Bates Motel....
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

Well, if you are under the age of consent for your area OR over-age but pretty much financially dependent on your parents then...enjoy the PCX 150. :lol:

On a serious note, the 150 should do about 65mph top speed until the belt starts wearing down. This should be able to do short freeway driving. I have a used Silver Wing 600cc and that thing is a heavy yet very fast beast. The funny thing is, the Silver Wing looks like an overgrown PCX, and most likely your mom would be fooled into thinking it's acceptable because it looks like a "scooter." I got mine used for about $3000 here in Florida, USA. I too, like many others, wonder where Honda's most demanded 250-300cc slot went as the Reflex has been discontinued a few years ago. I sure wish they would bring that size back.
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

You CAN get on the freeway with the 150... but they're limited to 65-68 mph, so you'll be at WOT (wide open throttle) to keep with the flow of the slower traffic (the people that actually do the speed limit) with no power left to pass if needed. I'd say it is definitely doable, we have a guy in our scooter club that regularly drives his PCX 150 on the interstate... but I wouldn't say the bike it truly suitable for it, or intended for it. Vespa, Piaggio, Kymco, Aprilia and maybe a couple others I am forgetting are good solid brands that make scooters in the 200-300cc range. It seems the Japanese brands have all but abandoned them. The Yamaha Majesty 400 and Burgman 400 are both excellent scooters that still retain that innocent "scooter" look to keep yout mom at ease, but have the juice to take on the interstate in stride and do/go pretty much anywhere you want to on any road with no worries. Used ones can be found at pretty good deals, the Majesty is a bit cheaper than the Burgman. The Silver Wing is only available with a 600cc here in the U.S., and is Honda's only current step up from the PCX 150. You'd have to look for a used Reflex 250, Helix 250 or Big Ruckus 250 if you wanted to stick with Honda in that engine size.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

And as far as the sport bikes are concerned, remember that you'll be shifting gears manually and storage is pretty much nonexistent on a sport bike...as is wind and weather protection. I also find them much less comfortable... scooters just make much better commuters, IMO. I THINK the Ninja 250 and CBR 250 are also carbureted, but I could be wrong.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

the japanese manufacturers are still making plenty of mid-sized scoots (250-400cc). 250cc scoots are by far the most popular in japan other than the 125cc class. it just seems that they arent being sold in the US. that would come down to a a decision by honda USA in all likelihood. the decision would certainly be made due to market considerations...

http://www.honda.co.jp/motor/

http://www1.suzuki.co.jp/motor/full_line/index.html

i am guessing that the low sticker price is a big factor in the OPs interest in the PCX. the new CRF250L is a bit more but still a very competetively priced bike. you could put a big givi box on the back and have plenty of storage on a bike like that.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Just because you can't take it on the highways doesn't mean you can't take it anywhere. Almost all my mileage is from trips, not commuting... I've ridden a few 500+ mile days, and several 200+ mile days from Georgia through North Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, and Alabama -- all avoiding interstates. Here's one of my rides: Summer Smokies Ride. Most GPSes have an avoid highways option, use it and a PCX will take you anywhere.

Your dealer is correct that the PCX 150 is not suited for the highway. You'd be much better off with a 200cc or more. The Suzuki DR200 gets almost as good of gas mileage as the PCX, but has a top speed much higher, and is easier to change sprockets to get more top speed. It does have gears though, not sure if that matters to you.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

no reply from OP? :lol:
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Maybe mom saw the thread on his pc and changed her mind....
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i think a lot of fickle young noobs get excited about getting a new bike and SPAM the various forums with their questions only to lose interest and disappear. prove me wrong in this case OP!
JetFalcon

Post by JetFalcon »

ItsaHonda wrote:And as far as the sport bikes are concerned, remember that you'll be shifting gears manually and storage is pretty much nonexistent on a sport bike...as is wind and weather protection. I also find them much less comfortable... scooters just make much better commuters, IMO. I THINK the Ninja 250 and CBR 250 are also carbureted, but I could be wrong.
I kind of agree with you. I straddled a Honda PCX150 at the dealership and it felt much more comfortable than the ninja 250-300 I wanted at first. I just liked the ninja 250 because it looked cool and there was no honda PCX. But I'm glad this bike came out because it has that futurisitic look.

I think I can settle getting a scooter as my first bike so I can enjoy a bike that's easier to handle than something that looks cool but harder to use. The PCX was easy to straddle and seems like a bike that's easier to board each time. As for freeway use, I live in OC in Southern CA. I wonder if this could handle going from OC to LA. But the one place I wanna use this for is the beach because the stress of finding parking will be reduced by alot and probably will have more options of where I can park. And any public event where parking will be a big hassle.

Eventually I may want a real motorcycle (sport or cruiser or maxi/touring scooter) if I enjoy the scooter long term and feel like moving up. I hope this can count as riding a beginners bike which will give me the skill necessary to move up to 500-600 cc or up. Hopefully by then there will be no accidents and I plan on being a safe rider and my mom can accept me having a motorcycle without ruining our relationship.
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

The only thing that would tell me to say scooter over a sport bike are these 2 factors: seat time and the demographic area you live in.

If you live in a populated area and have little seat time, I recommend a scooter simply for the fact that you don't have changing gears to worry about, and can focus more on riding safely than what gear you're in. To some riders, this will come naturally with seat time on a gearbox bike.

If vise versa, the ninja 250/300, hyosung 250 sport or cruiser, or cbr250, or any 350cc or less bike would be fine.

Depending on the area you live in as well, you might prefer a scooter over sportbike. Stoplight to stoplight gets aggravating at times when riding a gearbox equipped bike. This is where my scooter comes in very handy, for running errands and such in town
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I think it is the perfect first bike for you. Nice storage space under the seat for some bits for the beach. A more relaxed ride than a small motorbike and you will hqve a lot of fun too. Learn the basics and once you are 18 move up to something bigger. Surely when you are of that age you are not going to let your mother run your life?
JetFalcon

Re: Mom allows

Post by JetFalcon »

TC3 wrote:I think it is the perfect first bike for you. Nice storage space under the seat for some bits for the beach. A more relaxed ride than a small motorbike and you will hqve a lot of fun too. Learn the basics and once you are 18 move up to something bigger. Surely when you are of that age you are not going to let your mother run your life?
I'm 24 now. Sorry for being so lame, but I had to get through college and my mom made many threats about cutting me off and how I have to be out of her life. And she made me feel very bad about it and treated me like if I was going to become a misfit leading a life of committing felonies and going to jail regularly. I feel it's more than just safety because she is also very strongly against me getting a tattoo which is much safer than a motorcycle, so I feel it could also be that misfit bad boy image when she see's those powerful sport bikes breaking speed limits on the freeway or Harley riders with tattoos and leather vests.

Well I have graduated college and for some reason this is when my mom settled to allow me to buy a scooter when I almost considered joining some pyramid scheme job so I could be on my own and buy a motorcycle. However she still got mad at me today for mentioning about taking a motorcycle training course.

I am also considering a Honda Reflex since it's 250 cc and a scooter. My dad recommended at least 250cc and people say that's the minimum for comfortable freeway riding. I do like the Honda PCX 150, but I'm worried about it's limitations when it comes to freeways since in So Cal it is kind of hard to go to another city if you can't hop on the freeway. I know someone said it can be done, but just won't have much power left to pass cars. If I do use freeway, I mainly consider to just go from Orange County to LA. I just wish I can ride it already and figure if it's the bike for me.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Mom allows "scooter"

Post by Alibally »

I think "mom" might be a control freak. Grow a backbone and get on with your life.