Observation Rider Training...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Observation Rider Training...

Post by homie »

If you ride your scooter like this fellow you will never have a problem. Very good trainer and an excellent refresher for some of us who have been out there for years and become too comfortable.

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Observation Rider Training...

Post by easyrider »

Video: They don't get any better than that ! Great job . Videography especially shows how vulnerable we are to our brethren at intersections and drives.Just the other day I had a lady coming out of a long drive and as I was approaching I saw her left hand on a large smart cell phone slammed to her left ear and blocking her left eye. I was approaching from her left .Needless to say I was on the brakes and she made an abrupt stop at the end of her drive when she finally saw me. I enjoyed the video as well as the scenery.
One more comment.. Those roundabouts are treacherous here in America. Especially when they are two laned. They cut you off to make an exit with no warning or care. (they wont be denied) !! be careful !
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Going to watch the whole thing on my big TV later. Anything to help us stay alive to ride another day works for me! :lol:

FWIW I was traveling on I-95 early yesterday evening doing about 70 MPH on my Suzuki Bandit just to run the gas through the carbs for a while and cool down. Didn't pass one car. But it seems ever car going in my direction passed me. . .they all had to be doing 75+. What gives? Plus it's Jersey barriers on the median and guard rails on the shoulder. . .no where to go. . .it gets crazy. I don't seem to be able to enjoy riding the Interstates as much any more. . .too many vehicles competing for space. . .and too many drivers already in space. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Did he mention people with junk strapped to their vehicles, mattresses, ladders and these crazy scrapers on the highway. I'm always freaking when I see these ahead of me and jockey to get in front.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Did he mention people with junk strapped to their vehicles, mattresses, ladders and these crazy scrapers on the highway. I'm always freaking when I see these ahead of me and jockey to get in front.
He kept referring to counting the seconds over distance and keeping a good gap between you and the vehicle in front of you, monitoring the brakes if it looks like someone may pull out on you or someone may cut in, and watching the mirrors often. Also to watch the road surface for weird stuff, metal plates, grates, covers etc. ...

The stuff you mention I've seen myself. Complete mattresses just laying in the road. . ..

There was an accident on the exact stretch of road I was riding on early yesterday evening. Stupid people . . .. :roll:

Here's the story http://wtnh.com/2017/07/06/crash-closes ... n-madison/

I'm also starting to notice more road debris as well. Tire retreads, contractor pails, articles of clothing (??? not sure why :lol: ), and other misc. items. I avoid riding at night when it's dark a lot more now because of displaced wild life (deer, coyotes) and stuff in the road. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:
I'm also starting to notice more road debris as well. Tire retreads, contractor pails, articles of clothing (??? not sure why :lol: ), and other misc. items.
My state is so broke and in financial disaster you are likely to see stuff laying for days before the city picks it up. I think this winter's pot holes will not be fixed in the spring so watch out if you are traveling through :roll: Our Governor has lost the fight against Springfield's entrenched knuckle heads over massive tax increases today. Illinois is no place to be right now.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

PCX150Rider wrote:

I'm also starting to notice more road debris as well. Tire retreads, contractor pails, articles of clothing (??? not sure why :lol: ), and other misc. items. I avoid riding at night when it's dark a lot more now because of displaced wild life (deer, coyotes) and stuff in the road. 8)
The next time I see a pair of shoes in road will be the first time. How, exactly, does one go about leaving a single shoe in the middle of the road?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is a good question. Just yesterday I saw a single shoe just sitting on the median, all by itself. I guess the other one had a job to do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Another "Can't believe it. . .but I can totally believe it video".

This is good to see just for the fact that it gives you an idea of how easy it is to get into an accident without even trying. There seems to be an endless supply of stupid people driving (and walking) on this planet. You've really got to be on your game and looking for the suspicious behavior on the road that can lead to a bloody mess in just seconds if you don't take steps to avoid it.
And even then it's another reason to wear ATGATT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrvh6JDuh4 :roll:
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Drivers where he is are a LOT more courteous than where I am. I would have been cut off at least 5 times in the first minutes. Stuck up snobs, pretending they didn't see me.

Checking the mirrors as I come to a stop is something I need to do more of. Riders get rear-ended a lot in my area; folks just can't be bothered to pay attention to the road.

Setting up the brakes is something I do, but I do it differently: I hold the grips with my thumb and index finger, and Hover the other fingers over the brake levers. Taking the free play out will mean dragging the brakes all the time, and displaying brake lights, even when we may not brake.

Scanning is good, but if I scanned as much as he does, I'd be worn out after a 20 minute ride.

Thanks for sharing.

Homie, I've been bugging my wife to let us move to Wisconsin, but she's not having it. Maybe when the new tax bill comes? I keep hoping we will go bankrupt and be taken over by the Feds, but we'd be in worse shape in the hands of the Orange Buffoon.
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Another "Can't believe it. . .but I can totally believe it video".

This is good to see just for the fact that it gives you an idea of how easy it is to get into an accident without even trying. There seems to be an endless supply of stupid people driving (and walking) on this planet. You've really got to be on your game and looking for the suspicious behavior on the road that can lead to a bloody mess in just seconds if you don't take steps to avoid it.
And even then it's another reason to wear ATGATT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrvh6JDuh4 :roll:

Oh no, not again... :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Drivers where he is are a LOT more courteous than where I am. I would have been cut off at least 5 times in the first minutes. Stuck up snobs, pretending they didn't see me.

Checking the mirrors as I come to a stop is something I need to do more of. Riders get rear-ended a lot in my area; folks just can't be bothered to pay attention to the road.

Setting up the brakes is something I do, but I do it differently: I hold the grips with my thumb and index finger, and Hover the other fingers over the brake levers. Taking the free play out will mean dragging the brakes all the time, and displaying brake lights, even when we may not brake.

Scanning is good, but if I scanned as much as he does, I'd be worn out after a 20 minute ride.

Thanks for sharing.

Homie, I've been bugging my wife to let us move to Wisconsin, but she's not having it. Maybe when the new tax bill comes? I keep hoping we will go bankrupt and be taken over by the Feds, but we'd be in worse shape in the hands of the Orange Buffoon.
Chicago has really been in the news lately. . .kind of a war zone in parts of it. . .not all of it. . .but some areas are a killing zone. I'd be particular on what streets I chose to ride if I lived there. Wouldn't want to be an innocent victim due to circumstance. :geek:

That being said it still has a lot to offer and there are a lot of great people who live there and just want to enjoy the day and do their jobs. I have family in Old Town. The "Ale House" is on my list of things to do next time I visit there. http://www.theoldtownalehouse.com/ 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

As Momma used to say, "Stupid is as stupid does!". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Komi7wnAw :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
As Momma used to say, "Stupid is as stupid does!". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Komi7wnAw :lol:
Where are their life jackets?

Just asking to die and it'll be their fault.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I believe the best possible defense is your ability to be seen. Getting people to see you is critical as that is what claims the most rider's lives, they just don't see us or are driving complacent listening to the radio talk shows or on the phone. My theory is to distract them from their norm so I took some steps by adding some distractions. Hopefully by me being distractive I will be attractive, and combined with good defensive , wariness approach maybe I will survive the asphalt jungle. I especially think cancelling your directionals after a turn is crucial as many will jump out on you thinking you are turning when your not. Forgetting to cancel is common so I took some steps on that as well ..
Some ideas :
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvV-j2ZMUDvrnwTMamGCBPCaKmQq
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I believe the best possible defense is your ability to be seen. Getting people to see you is critical as that is what claims the most rider's lives, they just don't see us or are driving complacent listening to the radio talk shows or on the phone. My theory is to distract them from their norm so I took some steps by adding some distractions. Hopefully by me being distractive I will be attractive, and combined with good defensive , wariness approach maybe I will survive the asphalt jungle. I especially think cancelling your directionals after a turn is crucial as many will jump out on you thinking you are turning when your not. Forgetting to cancel is common so I took some steps on that as well ..
Some ideas :
Totally awesome. . .a turn signal beeper should be stock on the Forza and PCX . . . and Metropolitan for that matter. My Genuine Roughhouse came stock with a turn signal audible device. It clicks loud until you shut it off. We are so busy sometimes it's good to have a backup system as a reminder. . .. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:I believe the best possible defense is your ability to be seen. Getting people to see you is critical as that is what claims the most rider's lives, they just don't see us or are driving complacent listening to the radio talk shows or on the phone. My theory is to distract them from their norm so I took some steps by adding some distractions. Hopefully by me being distractive I will be attractive, and combined with good defensive , wariness approach maybe I will survive the asphalt jungle. I especially think cancelling your directionals after a turn is crucial as many will jump out on you thinking you are turning when your not. Forgetting to cancel is common so I took some steps on that as well ..
Some ideas :
I just don't get this when I'm out pottering on my twicle scooty. Why do you have these things if it's Armageddon on each ride?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

In today's world of crowded roads and highways occupied by inattentive and self indulged drivers ,I would more liken it moreso to preventing armegeddon.Complacency and trusting others to your safety in my view is a recipe for an unpleasant and possibly a painful outcome.Its a question of how much you like your bones.For me modifying and improving my odds is kind of enjoyable and challenging.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I agree with ER - it's not like riding in the 70's or 80's anymore. The dangers that existed back then could be somewhat worked around if you used your head. Today there are not only a lot more vehicles competing for road space, but a lot more high profile vehicles (SUVs), plus the cell phones for talking and texting causing distraction, navigation screens on dashboards that take time to fiddle with, a pain killer epidemic, declining infrastructure and the list goes on and on . . .. Yesterday I got behind a car that pulled out of a restaurant. The guy clearly had been drinking and it was early afternoon. He kept drifting way over the yellow line for about 4 miles before he turned off onto another road. When he did he totally went into the oncoming lane entering the other street. I had honked my horn several times behind him to wake him up but to no avail. So I proceeded on down the road as originally intended to do some dirt trail riding on my KLR. Finally I was able to start enjoying the day after he turned off. 8)

Riding for me. . .whether it be a motorcycle or scooter, or even bicycle, is a great way to pass the time. I've always enjoyed it and continue to. But the interruptions are becoming more frequent on the road from both stupid drivers and displaced wildlife and I just can't relax as much as I used to. One thing for sure is it gets my mind off things and it's all about focusing on surviving the ride. o_O 8) :lol: :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I think if It's a survival exercise for you each time you ride the sensible thing would be to consider giving it us.

Think of the children.