New PCX owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Trawlerman

New PCX owner

Post by Trawlerman »

Hi,

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I'm Mick fron Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've been riding for three years or so and enjoy it immensely.

I currently ride a 2005 Vespa ET4 125 and am expecting to take delivery of a brand spanking new PCX in the next day or so.

I saw my first PCX about three months ago whilst out on my Vespa and was very impressed with what I say of it. A young lad from my area was out and stopped to say hello and we had a good chat about it. I've decided to move to Vespa because as nice as they are, they're no good broken down on the side of the road. I got my Vespa 18months ago for £1000 and have spent well over another grand in repairing it. Everything that could go wrong has done and even stuff that shouldn't has also failed so my faith in it is rock bottom.

Anyway, I ordered my 2012 PCX-125 on Tuesday and should take delivery in the next few days or so. I originally planned on getting a White one but eventually settled on Black as I got a fair discount off the book price. I could have gone for a second hand one and saved even more but paying a little extra has given me peace of mind, a full one year warranty and some dealer support.

I love the features of the PCX but I do intend to modify it or personalise it to my own liking. I plan on the following mods ....

Givi Smoked Screen (Ordered)
Givi E300 Topbox
Givi Tunnel Bag
TomTom Rider GPS
GoPro HD Hero ActionCam
12V Outlet (To Fit)
Stebel Nautilus Airhorn (To Fit)
CNC Mirrors
Adjustable Brake Levers
T10 Led Sidelights (Ordered)
Oxford HotGrips (considering these)
Momo Carbon Composite Grips (have these but not sure if i'll fit 'em)
Stainless Steel Bar Clock
Checker plate floor runners
LeoVince Granturismo exhaust

For security I intend using

Griplock
Zena XX6 Disc lock
Oxford HD Chain (already have)

I had considered a Tranformers logo for the screen but I've seen on a PCX somewhere so I shelved that idea. Perhaps I may go with one of the baddies instead - a Decepticon logo lol

So, soon as I get my new ride i'll post up some shots. I'll have to do some arty farty ones up near the Humber Bridge or by the sea or something.

Cheers for now.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New PCX owner

Post by Taz »

Gday and welcome!
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Hi and welcome !

lots of blong there indeed- dont forget to post a pic up soon.

btw you have a 2 yr warranty with it also ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Top tip: fit some fork gaiters.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

V4 TRV wrote:Hi and welcome !

Wots blong? :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Top tip: fit some fork gaiters.
To the bike?
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Hello and welcome to the forum
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

gn2 wrote:Top tip: fit some fork gaiters.

Thanks for the tip. Any idea on what diameter/length I would need?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No, but when you find out let me know.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

qed wrote:
V4 TRV wrote:Hi and welcome !

Wots blong? :D
Its bling typed in a careless fashion :lol:
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Here are some images of my new PCX125.

After the bad weather here in the UK, it finally cleared on Friday and I managed a quick outing to the coast. These images are from Hornsea about 15 miles away from here.

As you can see I have already fitted a larger screen which make an incredible difference to the ride. Apart from the looks it reduces rider fatigue and throws the airstream up over my head instead of on my chest.

I also transferred my RiderScan blind spot mirror to this bike from my Vespa. This is a relatively cheap but very effective way of keeping an eye on what's going on around you.

I'll be sorting the front L plate out too as looks a bit cock-eyed to me.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

BTW, maybe it's an anomaly but out on a dual carriageway stretch of the A165 yesterday I had doing 70mph indicated. I'm gonna verify her speed with GPS in the next week week or so. Assuming the speedo is reasonably accurate i'll be more than happy at that :D

Compared to my '05 Vespa she is considerably lighter, more agile, has better acceleration, handles better and is just a more enjoyable ride in every respect. Any doubts and concerns I had in leaving Vespa for Honda have been put right to rest.

I'll be a pariah at the local scooter club now for sure :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Nice pictures

The mirror looks good. Doesn't it catch the sunlight?

Mine does 70 easy(ish) too. Some seem to struggle to get to 60. That extra 10mph makes a lot of difference. An indicated 60 is a bit too slow, 70 is just enough.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Looking good! What is the screen? I've been looking at one similar to that but haven't taken the plunge yet (Givi - D322ST).

On a flat A road without riding into the wind I get early 60's on the speedo
oyessum
Year: 2021
Color: white

Post by oyessum »

gse123, I'm there with you. There's so many choices, and I want to make sure I get the right size for my height. I'm 5"3' with a short torso... At 55mph+ the wind hits my chest so hard that if my collar is fastened, it nearly chokes me! Not a problem at lower speeds. And I always have to lean forward, which as trwlerman said adds to riding fatigue.

By the way, tourandride.com is having a 20% off sale on Givi and Kappa products until Monday. $5 shipping in continental US! I may take the plunge...
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome there Trawlerman, nice looking bike ya got there! I never saw a "rear view" mirror like that. Did it take some time getting use to? Yeah, good point qed, about the sun light's reflection. Is that a problem Trawlerman? How about the distorted view? Nice safety addition...(I think?)
That's a long list of goodies you're planning.....you might want to ask Santa for some help ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi oyessum welcome to the forum(s) too ;) Happy fun days ahead! Are we not still kids after all?
Hope the following input helps both you and gse123: About your windscreen concerns/questions, do you want to look over the the top lip (of the screen you choose)...or, do you want a screen you will look through? Perhaps even rise above your head? The screen seen above on Trawlerman's PCX looks like a Givi D322S (S = smoke color) this one also comes in a Clear, D322ST. I have the clear version and it works well at my height, 5' 4 and 1/2. My eyes look over the top lip of the screen. I also wear a full face hat with a dark smoke screen. I am very happy with mine although I'd like a try at the higher Givi screen, the 323DT (like maddiedog has) just to feel the difference. For sure there's a definite difference with any screen higher than the stock....you just have the job of picking it :D
Note, there are other brands fitting to the PCX, members here discuss them and have them. Good luck to you both & rider safe! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Thanks for the great welcome guys.

The screen is indeed the Givi D322S in smoked finish. I thought a more pleasing match to the bike over the plain clear one. One of the main reasons for getting a screen is that i'm partially deaf and wind noise just drives me up the wall so I wanted to throw the airstream up over my head to lessen that somewhat. I'm also a short arse at 5' 5" so this screen is more or less right for me. I may consider an MRA X-Creen in the future to adjust the airflow a little.

As for the mirror. I've been using it for a few months now and become accustomed to it. With it being parabolic it gives almost 180' coverage and it does look a little odd riding and being able to see yourself in it. The sun does not bother it too much as the wide-angle makes it look quite small. However, vehicles in the blind spot look big enough so it's a good thing to have. Obviously it does not negate the need for a good old fashioned 'shoulder check' but it's nice to have.

You can find out more here: http://www.huntercreate.com/ I'm not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer. IRC mine was one the very early prototypes.

BTW, i'm unemployed right now and normally broke but fate has smiled on me and I managed to get back some of my PPI money that the banks robbed me of so i've replaced my old Vespa whilst funds allow.

The list I put up was more of a wishlist really. Some of it will come to pass, others will stay as a whim.
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

Nice pictures of your scooter! I have (may be) a silly question; Why do you have to put this L-sign on your scooter?
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

glad to see so many other short riders out there! (I'm 5'4) I think I will go for the D322ST now - especially after a couple of you guys around my height has vouched for them working well!

Bit of an odd question for my fellow short riders: how exactly do you get on / off your PCX? Obviously taller people easily step over the lower part at the front to get on/off, but due to my short legs and restricted movement of my trousers means that I end up scraping the black plastic with the heel of my boot when I get on or off this way, so sometime I get on and off it like a full size bike - 'leg over' which strikes me as being a bit odd on a scooter! Damn my short legs. :)