Video cameras for riding

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Video cameras for riding

Post by Taz »

I just ordered a 720P HD keychain video camera off eBay and a bike handle bar mount for it, along with a class 10 micro sd card. Around $50 all up. Wonder if I can get a helmet mount too?

Anyone else with cameras you use whilst riding can you post details here of what you use and the type of mount. Then I looking fwd to seeing highlights of your commutes or rides, especially rides in the company of other bikes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Video cameras for riding

Post by you you »

Got any pictures. I use the insides of a keychain camera. I coat it in epoxy, apart from the buttons obv, and then duct tape it to wherever is needed

Works fine for the price and I'd not be too bothered if I lost it
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I use a gopro when I'm dirt biking, with the helmet mount. Works great, and it's been whacked on hundreds of branches, fallen on, been in mud, etc.

Here's a video of my lowsiding. :lol:

The slide is at 4:28 -- I hit a patch of mud as I ripped out of a corner, lost traction in the rear and slid.

Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

QED
Mine hasnt arrived yet, just ordered it. Can you take a pic of yours with the epoxy coating. Sounds interesting. Have you been able to tape it to your helmet? I want to do that with mine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:QED
Mine hasnt arrived yet, just ordered it. Can you take a pic of yours with the epoxy coating. Sounds interesting. Have you been able to tape it to your helmet? I want to do that with mine.
Bit late now so I'll dig it out and take a picture

I just duct tape it anywhere including helmets
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Here is my 808 #18 keychain cam I just attached to the bike, around $30 on eBay. I tried it on the handlebar first but all you could see was my big ermax screen. So now its on the port mirror!

IMG_0473 by TazPCX, on Flickr

IMG_0476 by TazPCX, on Flickr

Oh yeh its summer here, about 30 (86F) degrees today but yesterday was 42 (108) which was too hot! This is the local beach about 20 seconds PCX ride from my house.
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Nice rearview mirror you got there Taz! Hows the vibration on that camera mount?
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

Looks good! How did you attach it?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Black Bandit wrote:Nice rearview mirror you got there Taz! Hows the vibration on that camera mount?
Only seems to vibrate when am idling at lights but I have the idle stop so motor cuts out after a couple of seconds.
ms_sparky wrote:Looks good! How did you attach it?
Attached with bike handlebar mounting kit, again a few bucks on eBay. Went on handlebar as is but to go on mirror I needed to wrap tape around my mirror mount to thicken it up.

Will upload sample video shortly.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Here are a couple of videos using the keychain camera, no vibes except at idle till idle stop kicks in. Quality is brilliant on the raw 600mb MOV file but by the time I get it to vimeo its become a crappy 15mb WMV as I only have windows movie maker on an XP to edit.

https://vimeo.com/56799143 (2 1/2 min summary of commute, cut out the boring bits)

https://vimeo.com/56799434 (30 second test shot)

Next time will angle the camera up a bit more. This is my first effort with bike cam! Hopefully on a scooter rally next week so will do vids then. If you are bored you can prob find some sailing vids I took on other cams also on vimeo!

The camera is so small that some folk are mounting them inside their full face helmets so I may try that sometime!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Sorry. I forgot to post a picture of my camera. I'll try to find it and sort it out. I've bought a little muvi camera too
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

I've seen great quality videos come out of those 808 keychain cameras. Only issue I have with them is the batteries don't last long enough and a minor point that they aren't weather proof.

Then again, using a gopro, you have to constantly change between the full casing and the vented ones depending on the weather/humidity levels. Very rugged, but a pain because condensation can form inside the lens as the weather comes in and out. Certainly not a set and forget thing.
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Wow - I'm really impressed with the quality of the movie clips. Obviously the brilliant sunshine (something absent this year in Britain!) has helped with the quality, but it is at least as good as a Sony videocam I used a year or two ago.
Please post a pic of the camera, as I would like to ensure I get the right one when looking on the web.
Cheers.
Tom
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Tom
The battery lasts 85 min in record mode on mine which is model 808 #18. You can power it by usb cable if you wanted extenal power and in my version you can replace the battery when it gets tired. I added in a class 10 micro sd card for storage, bought seperately along with the keychain cam bike handlebar kit also bought seperately.

From my research, the only verified eBay sellers of the #18 camera are:

power-gps beetleonline eletech086 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/eletech086/18- ... 34.c0.m322

hxelepro360 powerdigital898 internet-shop365 or
HETAI Digital Technology

Ive given the link for eletech086 as they are eBay UK though I got mine from powerdigital898 but took nearly 4 weeks to be delivered!

There is also a 808 #16 version which after I ordered mine I researched and realised was a bit better as has a wider angle lens and apparently the 18 is a copy of the 16 but with video out. You can get the 808 #16 from eletoponline365 digitalele889 or novotm eBay vendors.

Ive been told that there are plenty of fakes for these cameras and to get them from above listed eBayers only.

They are 720p HD at 16 x 9 aspect ratio which is what I wanted. Dont get full HD 1080p as the processor cant do it and you end with loads of missing frames. If you want 1080p get a bigger and more expensive GoPro hero Black!

If you want to make it waterproof people are putting them inside tic tac cases! But I only plan taking vids on nice days which is most of the time here!

Get a known brand micro sd card. Class 4 should work but I got the best. Again there are fakes out there that will cause missing frames.
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Thanks Taz. I've been reading around since posting above and discovered there were a few fakes out there. I've now ordered one from one of the sellers listed and will post some clips in a few weeks all being well.
Thanks again.
Tom.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Taz wrote:Here is my 808 #18 keychain cam I just attached to the bike, around $30 on eBay. I tried it on the handlebar first but all you could see was my big ermax screen. So now its on the port mirror!
Where did you obtain that center mirror? Would love to get one!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

philvb wrote:
Taz wrote:Here is my 808 #18 keychain cam I just attached to the bike, around $30 on eBay. I tried it on the handlebar first but all you could see was my big ermax screen. So now its on the port mirror!
Where did you obtain that center mirror? Would love to get one!
Saw it on Trawlerman's bike photos here. Bought from http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/riderscan/m. ... ksid=p3686 and its a RiderScan Motorcycle Blind Spot Mirror.

I bought it mainly for when on scooter rallys so I can see mates scooters when riding in formation. Only just put it on. Obviously you cant see right behind your back but you can see blind spots. Its for sticking on a windscreen and not sure if stock windscreen is big enough for it, but will be fine on aftermarket screens.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Taz wrote:Saw it on Trawlerman's bike photos here. Bought from http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/riderscan/m. ... ksid=p3686 and its a RiderScan Motorcycle Blind Spot Mirror.

I bought it mainly for when on scooter rallys so I can see mates scooters when riding in formation. Only just put it on. Obviously you cant see right behind your back but you can see blind spots. Its for sticking on a windscreen and not sure if stock windscreen is big enough for it, but will be fine on aftermarket screens.
Thanks for the info, gonna get one. I am just waiting on my ermax +25 to be shipped from same.same, which is supposed to happen on Monday.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Just checked for the mirror, they are pretty pricey! $69 US for the mirror, plus another $16 for the shipping. Thought I might be able to find a U.S. dealer, but no luck. What I did find was something that was pretty interesting, and a much cheaper alternative, albeit somewhat permanent solution.

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-a ... s-mod.html
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

I have looked at auto supply stores for convex mirrors aka "eyeball" mirrors. Can't find any small enough to go on side mirrors on the PCX. They are perfect size for autos... The PCX mirrors are smaller and closer than car mirrors and the wide view mirror needs to be smaller too.

Anybody got a favorite motorcycle supply house that has really small convex mirrors?