Cleaning .....

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

buff45

Cleaning .....

Post by buff45 »

Hello all. Up to nearly 100 miles now. British weather means water, mud , salt and other crap. What is the best product to clean my bike? I've been looking at muc off. Is that any good? Also what is the best way to get the nooks and crannies clean? Will a low powered hose suffice for rinising or will that penetrate the electrics.

Thanks in advance
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Cleaning .....

Post by gn2 »

Do not use a pressure washer. Never. Just don't do it.
Normal tap runny cold water via hose and Zipwax in tepid water in a bucket with a sponge.
Wet bike with hose, rubbity rub with the soapy sponge, rinse off.
Chamois leather it dry and apply ACF-50
If you don't want to be arsed with all that hassle then microfibre cloths and Proshine does the job just perfect.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Do not use a pressure washer. Never. Just don't do it.
Normal tap runny cold water via hose and Zipwax in tepid water in a bucket with a sponge.
Wet bike with hose, rubbity rub with the soapy sponge, rinse off.
Chamois leather it dry and apply ACF-50
If you don't want to be arsed with all that hassle then microfibre cloths and Proshine does the job just perfect.

I use a power washer sensibly but would never ever use a sponge as it collects grit. I use a micro fibre wash mitt instead
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

qed wrote:I use a power washer sensibly
Me too, it gets all the gunk off the patio just luvly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ :lol:
Been looking online for ACF-50 in the states, No luck. Does anyone know of a product similar here? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You can definitely get it in the US: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

buff45 wrote:Hello all. Up to nearly 100 miles now. British weather means water, mud , salt and other crap. What is the best product to clean my bike? I've been looking at muc off. Is that any good? Also what is the best way to get the nooks and crannies clean? Will a low powered hose suffice for rinising or will that penetrate the electrics.

Thanks in advance
I've just cleaned mine for the first time, using Muc Off cleaner, cold water, a couple of soft bristle brushes and then a muc off spray similar to ACF-50.

I'd say I was 90% happy with it - although still a few really tight nooks and crannies around the exhaust I couldn't get as clean as i'd like (even with a very small brush) but looks 'almost' like new! :) Although I was splashing water on it from a bucket, as I currently don't have a garden hose. (a small investment I think!)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cheers gn2 you helped again! ;) thanks to ya
gse123 I use these often, just like old toothbrushes, many uses other than intended)
Lookie here for example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YMC6XQ
(now you Two forum chaps behave, no need to go into "usage details :D ) ....oh, if You must
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I've got scuff marks on my panels where bike boots or saddle bags have scuffed panels. This is from public parking close together with other (mostly bigger) bikes. Any tips on removing black scuff marks from a white PCX? I live in one of the cleanest places on the planet with respect to air and water quality so never had to clean my bike yet. But those scuffs need to go before Christmas.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Black scuffs on white paint (presumably from footwear?) will come off in less than half a jiffy with aforementioned Proshine or just ordinary wax polish like Turtlewax.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I buy Tesco (or similar) basics sponges and use a fresh clean one fresh each wash. Muc Off is very good but you need to rinse thoroughly after use.
Image[/URL
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I second GN2's Zipwax recommendation, it works great. I've had the same bottle of Zipwax concentrate for at least 3 years, and it's still half full.

I use FW1 afterwards instead of ACF-50. It's basically the same stuff though. Here's their site: http://www.fw1shine.com/
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

How are you guys applying the ACF-50 or equiv, and where. When I got my PCX made bit of a mess round the back wheel area and used a cloth to wipe the front forks.
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

buff45 wrote:What is the best product to clean my bike?
In my experience the best product is my wife. So if U have a wife or a girlfriend, let them do the job. If U don`t have, get one! Then U can drive with a big smile and be a happy man!

Just like this example:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Nice fireblade
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

I always use a power pump to get all that shit out from under the bike. Do a lot of off roading and dont care for all that mud and what not that gets stuck to the base of our bikes. Plus its fun ;)

But yes. Do use a pump sensibly or you might damage some seals and small components!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

qed wrote:Nice fireblade
Looks like a ladyboy.
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

gn2 wrote:
Looks like a ladyboy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Silicone is not a fashion anymore!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

gn2 wrote:
Looks like a ladyboy.
Sounds like you are speaking from experience o_O
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Looks like a ladyboy.
Sounds like you are speaking from experience o_O

He (or she) is working on the presumption that its a male as it isn't wearing a skirt :D