Changing tires, what are the options?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Changing tires, what are the options?

Post by cessna151 »

When i bought my PCX the local shop would happily mount any tire i brought to them for a nice flat fee of $15. I've since moved to a new area and none of the local shops will touch any tire i bring to them, they require i purchase the tire from them directly. Of course their tire prices are ridiculous. I attempted to remove the tire myself with irons but it was impossible. So it seems i have 2 options: pay their ridiculous prices or buy a tire changing machine.

Is there another option i've missed? What is everyone else doing?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Changing tires, what are the options?

Post by gn2 »

Go to a shop further away.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

For my motorcycles I found that ordering the tire from a dealership and bringing in just the wheel to have them remove the old and replace with the new works OK. There are still enough dealerships in my area to compete. But in areas where the dealerships are far and few between I can see where they sort of have you over a barrel and may lean towards price gouging. 8)

I did look at some different tire changing machines and was seriously thinking about getting one but I had to ask myself two big questions.

1) How much longer do I think I'm going to live and how many tires do I think I'll actually have to have changed before my riding days are over? :o
2) Where the heck am I going to find space to store the thing? o_O

I concluded that it's just easier to have the dealerships do it. . .. But that's just me. ;)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Not impossible. Using enough spoons its not a bad job to take off and put another one on. Just use enough screw drivers and take little bites at a time and you will see its rather easy. I don't think you need to balance scooter tires of this size.Give it another go !
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Dishwater soap or tire lube helps too. Maybe leave the tire out in the sun for a bit so it will be more pliable as well if you DIY. Easy Rider has a good point. :geek:
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

I have experience from my Chinese scooter 10" tires before I got my PCX, And while I was able to accomplish many tire changes on my own, the biggest challenge is getting them filled up after changing. I've literally had to tie a rope around the tire to help set the bead. It is not a fun experience. But many tire shops won't touch such a small tire. The one time I had them mount a tire, they tore up the rim pretty badly. I'm guessing a motorcycle shop has the equipment for these smaller tires. and when it comes time to change my tires, I think I'll probably have them do it.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

mhdgraphics
Year: 2014
Color: Red Forza

Post by mhdgraphics »

d1ckyh wrote:I have experience from my Chinese scooter 10" tires before I got my PCX, And while I was able to accomplish many tire changes on my own, the biggest challenge is getting them filled up after changing. I've literally had to tie a rope around the tire to help set the bead. It is not a fun experience. But many tire shops won't touch such a small tire. The one time I had them mount a tire, they tore up the rim pretty badly. I'm guessing a motorcycle shop has the equipment for these smaller tires. and when it comes time to change my tires, I think I'll probably have them do it.
instead of a rope, try a ratcheting tie down next time...
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

I changed my own tires the last time. I asked a shop about it--they had done it before for 20$ a tire--and they quoted me 50$. I complained. They said that was the only way they could make money on the deal ( it was a small shop too and as far as I know they don't sell tires there). Anyway, I used long tire irons and lots of Murphy's oil soap. It is not really that hard. Breaking the bead is probably the most difficult part. I used a couple of big c clamps. But there are other ways. Look on youtube. There are a lot of good videos of people making short work of it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I may be willing to take all of the panels off, and even take the rest of the bike apart, but I will not touch a tire change.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Breaking the bead was very easy. I simply could not get the lip of the tire over the rim. Sure there's lots of good videos, they all make it look so easy but it certainly is not.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

We're lucky to have a few independent small motorcycle shops locally, as well as two main dealers within easy riding distance.

What I figure is that I do what maintenance I can myself but I'll need these guys for things I don't want to, or don't have the time to tackle.

For that, they need to stay in business and make money. For the convenience of being able to ride in, leave my bike, and pick it up with fresh tyres fitted I'll quite happily pay. If more folks do the same, they'll stay in business and be there when I truly need them.

:)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The dealers here charge $55 to change a tire out. I order the tire online, ride over there with the tire secured to the back of the bike, and they take care of the rest while my wife and I go off to lunch in the same area. Nothing is cheap around here. If you don't want to attempt it yourself they will be glad to take your money...but they also wash your bike before giving it back. I like that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

cessna151 wrote:Breaking the bead was very easy. I simply could not get the lip of the tire over the rim. Sure there's lots of good videos, they all make it look so easy but it certainly is not.
The videos look easy cause the people doing them have done it so many times, it's second nature. Not to mention the time is takes just to get the wheels off and then back on. With my new PCX, it will be a job I leave to someone else.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

lillypinkjenny wrote:We're lucky to have a few independent small motorcycle shops locally, as well as two main dealers within easy riding distance.

What I figure is that I do what maintenance I can myself but I'll need these guys for things I don't want to, or don't have the time to tackle.

For that, they need to stay in business and make money. For the convenience of being able to ride in, leave my bike, and pick it up with fresh tyres fitted I'll quite happily pay. If more folks do the same, they'll stay in business and be there when I truly need them.

Which ones lillypinkjenny.Thanks
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

dick the den wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:We're lucky to have a few independent small motorcycle shops locally, as well as two main dealers within easy riding distance.

Recommended independents: KC Motorcycles, Portslade; TPG Motorcycles, Southwick; Sussex Rolling Road, Worthing

Recommended main dealers: Alf's Motorcycles, Worthing; On The Wheel, Southwick

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

cessna151 wrote:Breaking the bead was very easy. I simply could not get the lip of the tire over the rim. Sure there's lots of good videos, they all make it look so easy but it certainly is not.
I sometimes use a dremel tool to cut thru the bead in order to remove a tire. Just use a tire iron to lift a portion of the bead over the rim and then cut thru it, wire and all. But it’s a messy job with all that residue dusting everywhere.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dick the den »

lillypinkjenny wrote:
dick the den wrote:

Recommended independents: KC Motorcycles, Portslade; TPG Motorcycles, Southwick; Sussex Rolling Road, Worthing

Recommended main dealers: Alf's Motorcycles, Worthing; On The Wheel, Southwick

Thanks lpj,is there a small,i think motorbike/scooter place in Littlehampton.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

PCX150Rider wrote:Dishwater soap or tire lube helps too. Maybe leave the tire out in the sun for a bit so it will be more pliable as well if you DIY. Easy Rider has a good point. :geek:
THIS /\
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113