Does size matter - or more to it?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015/Forza 300
Color: Pearl White

Does size matter - or more to it?

Post by erisaman »

Perhaps directed to PCX migrants who have upsized to the Forza 300.

There's an obvious difference in physical size between the two (PCX125 / Forza 300) plus a mighty jump in power - particularly 125cc to 279cc - but is the Forza a completely different character in refinement, fit and finish and general handling - or, a description I don't use often, a different class? My aim is to convert whatever I choose to a trike - and being in the UK, I don't have access to the PCX 150. I'll never carry a pillion passenger, my use will be pleasure runs close to home (quiet roads through countryside and definitely not city or Motorway/Freeway).

What are your thoughts please?

Thanks.
If you don't stand for something - you'll fall for anything.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Does size matter - or more to it?

Post by you you »

Buy a preconverted trike. Decide what you really want. Then sell it on and then do your conversion?
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

My thoughts are more ramblings, so sorry in advance.

I took my motorcycle test simply because my ex wanted to ride a single seat bike and figured if I rode his second bike we could always meet up at destinations.

So, I never got to ride around learning on a 125, I took intensive lessons, only rode a 125 for the CBT and jumped straight onto a 600 after passing my test in a week.

When we split I had next to no money so I bought a cheap Chinese 125 to get around ... and found out that I loved riding smaller bikes. I met the nicest guy ever who not only supports me but shares my views and values too.

When I injured my left hand, and was pregnant, I discovered that I liked auto scooters too, again out of necessity.

So, while we have a collection of bigger bikes, you'll find me mostly putting around on a 125 auto scooter of some description. Why? I simply find more pleasure in it. Whether that's because the lighter weight, less power and less need to concentrate lets me focus on enjoying the rde, I don't know. Maybe that's it or maybe something that defies definition.

All I know is that smaller bikes calm my soul more.

Peace and love.

Lilly ;)
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Lilly - that all sounds very pleasant - heart warming (thank you) - the trouble is, at 72 years of age, I guess I'm in more need of something to stir my soul, not calm it. And guess what - when I look at my own question with that thought in mind - I reckon I've found the answer.

But I'd still like to hear from others - the battle ain't over yet.

To give forum members a bigger picture of my root concerns - I'm over 6' tall and 82kg / 180lbs and don't want to be towering over the machine and making it look 'dwarfed'.

Thanks again.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I own both 150 PCX and a Forza 300. The PCX is a lightweight very maneuverable bike, but suffered terribly going up hills and long grades. I didn't care for the brakes and was noisy and vibrational and crosswinds play hell with it. The seat gives you the feeling of being in a scooter and the seat is horrible unless you have a very small frame. The FORZA on the other hand is way more substantial on all types of roads, hills, long grades, and handles the winds a bit better. Still very light and maneuverable in the city. The Forza seat and body position is more like that of a motorcycle particularly a Gold Wing however not to that degree but much better than the PCX. You sit in it rather than on top of it like the PCX. Leg room on the Forza can be stretched out better on long runs and is quieter running in my view. The PCX is great under 45 mph where as the Forza is great under 60 although both can be pushed much higher, however expect some more vibrations as speed goes up. All in all the FORZA is much more superior bike in almost every category. Expect it to be a little heavier but not anything overwhelming to push about. Maintenance is about the same except the Forza valve adjustment significantly more involved. It really depends on your needs. If you want a more substantial ride especially in hilly open country with wind then the Forza is a better deal. If you plan to use it in traffic and congested city environments perhaps then the PCX is better. I would think conversion into a trike would be better suited on the heavier Forza?? In my view for the cost difference the Forza hands down beats the PCX. I'm sure some will have different thoughts. Good luck.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

easyrider wrote:You sit in it rather than on top of it like the PCX.
That's an interesting point. Him indoors is 22 years older than me and he talks now about preferring to sit on rather than in a bike because of hip/knee issues (old injuries and age, though I don't mention the latter at home :lol: )

Hence he feels at home more on smaller bikes and off-roaders these days. Maybe why Adventure bikes have such a strong following with older riders who like to put in the miles now.

Peace 8) xx
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

So, while we have a collection of bigger bikes, you'll find me mostly putting around on a 125 auto scooter of some description. Why? I simply find more pleasure in it. Whether that's because the lighter weight, less power and less need to concentrate lets me focus on enjoying the rde, I don't know. Maybe that's it or maybe something that defies definition.
It's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Do you plan on going trike or outriggers?

At 72 are you going to be a nuisance on the road? A danger to yourself?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I have investigated trikes and trike kits a lot over the years. Being only 5 feet tall my wife has a problem with reaching the ground without assistance from the extra high boots I bought for her. They have about 3 inch soles. We have seen many trikes on this forum, and in fact I believe there is a thread somewhere that discusses them.
Keep in mind that most trike kits do not remove the rear wheel, so they are more like bikes with training wheels, but that doesn't mean that they don't look nice. That middle wheel is usually hidden enough that it isn't noticed.
Our conclusion was that even on trikes there are advantages and disadvantages based on what you want to do on them.

We both loved the triked Burgman 400. It gave us the power we needed/wanted, the ability to be modified to carry a dog crate behind us, and we could still ride two up if we needed to.

Now let us look at the PCX 150 as a possible trike. We saw some really nice pictures of triked PCXs. The one I loved the most was done by a guy in California...and it looked really nice.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6798

The advantage of triking the PCX is that it is small, so it can go in tight places and small roads without much effort. The disadvantage is still the seat, though when it is triked you may be able to get the seat customized for your size/leg length.
Another disadvantage of trikes in general with a rigid backend is steering, which is not at all like a two wheel vehicle. Still, if you are not going to be screaming down the highways at 65 mph, it might just work out well for you.

...and I will be 72 this year, so don't automatically think that age is the defining factor on riding vs not. I still love to ride, just not as often as I use to.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

At 59 I am a nuisance on the road and off of it too!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you're going to convert it to a trike it makes no odds what you start with you will always end up with a trike.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Wow .... some very philosophical meandering there folks - thank you one and all.

Special thanks perhaps to ‘easyrider’ for a very comprehensive analysis of the choices, the comment re gradients is very applicable in the light of my homeland - one favourite singalong being “We’ll keep a welcome in the hillsides”. But that’s enough of making a molehill out of a mountain (a pun :) ) - back to the job in hand.

No-one can predict what will happen on the road, to themselves or to anyone else but, having been an auto journalist for several years, also writing about fast boats and competitive water skiing, with several years in the company of my own Jaguar XK8s and testing their Supercharged motors on race tracks, I’ve gained a healthy respect for safety for all road users - which means no dawdling and frustrating those behind me. Perhaps I’m old fashioned in that I believe good driving is an art and something to be proud of.

I have a family car for general pleasure trips and readily admit that the trike is something which I could well polish more than ride, may fettle more than race and spend more on custom decor than fuel at the pumps.

The trike conversion will be a true 3 wheeled effort and not a bike on training wheels. Much of my research has been based on Thailand, the original home of the PCX before Vietnam took over, and some of the kits available exhibit a level of engineering which is truly amazing. Seeing the local ‘trike lover's meetings’ on YouTube is a revelation.

But thanks again folks - my next step could well be down to HMRC (Border Customs) as it’ll be down to them as to the Duty and Taxes to be applied. Happy days.
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

I can’t step back without also saying “thank you” to Mel46. His responses thus far, to previous questions I've posed, has always been positive. I agree with his comments on the trike featured in those other pages on this forum - it looks good and is a credit to it's owner - but I think that was a bike with training wheels. What I would suggest is a look at Thailand’s offerings - not cheap by any means but certainly worth a look. I won’t mention individual or company names publicly, but when I cross the posting threshold I’d be pleased to send some pics and general info.

I think one small advantage for me is that I have never ridden a motorcycle, so ‘leaning’ to take a fast bend is not something I have to eliminate - it’s not a habit to be beware of. And as you’ll find out - 72 is not something to be feared - it’s the age in your heart and mind that matters, many a 50 year-old being ‘older’ than me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Can a four wheeled bike be a trike?

Frike as quad and car are taken? :D
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Bike (Bi...ke) has 2 wheels.

Trike (Tr...ke) has 3 wheels - so -

Quike (Qu...ike) has four wheels? :lol:
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

erisaman - what about something like the Piaggio MP3?
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

erisaman wrote:Bike (Bi...ke) has 2 wheels.

Works for me :D
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

you you wrote:

Works for me :D
Except I couldn't spell Tr...ike. Never mind - I can spell Quike ok.
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Cube wrote:erisaman - what about something like the Piaggio MP3?
Thanks for that - I had looked at them and, having enjoyed working with Yamaha outboards (2 stroke) twenty years ago, I looked at the Tricity, but somehow, that 'two in front and one behind' doesn't work for me - especially the sight of them taking the bends.

For anyone interested (Mel46?) you'll find a pic of the PCX trike under the heading 'Three wheeled PCX' posted in August 2016. For anyone interested, the young lady is a busy lass doing Zumba classes in Pattaya and surrounding areas. I'd post more pics here if I knew how :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We get by with a little help from our Friends....." ;)
Link: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... heeled+pcx
~WN~
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (113.06 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Quad bike? Do you total, or take an average?