Naked again aka insurance rip off

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Naked again aka insurance rip off

Post by brains_t »

Well after enjoying my Givi windscreen (D322ST) for a couple of weeks, I remembered it was a mod so the insurance will need to be informed.

MCE Insurance advised there was no increase in the £230 premium however the underwriters will require £68.17 to cover the admin :o . I laughed and told them I can wait till renewal time so have taken it off not to giving them an excuse to void the policy if I claim.
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Naked again aka insurance rip off

Post by Anfield800 »

What a rip off? Will you be taking your custom elsewhere when you renew?
More than two wheels is too many.

brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

Anfield800 wrote:What a rip off? Will you be taking your custom elsewhere when you renew?
Probably, not ever had bike insurance before so I went with them as the cost and benefits were reasonable although the excess was high. Hopefully next year I will have more reasonable options.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Insurance in the UK is so silly. I can mod the hell out of my scooter here in the US, and as long as I don't change the displacement, they don't care. That said, even if I did change the displacement and didn't tell them, they would probably process any claim anyways. :lol: Insurance here protects the rider, not the insurer.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In the UK insurance is mandatory.
The insurance market is very competitive, most people focus on the initial headline cost of the policy and pay scant regard to the small print.
Through time and experience one learns how to select a good insurance deal which properly meets one's needs.
Most insurers do not charge any admin fee for non performance related modifications.
As with all things, caveat emptor.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Gotcha. Insurance is mandatory here too. I have insurance through an organization (USAA) that only provides insurance to a certain demographic by only providing insurance to people associated with our DoD (basically any armed services -- USAF, Navy, Army, etc). The demographic is less prone to accidents and stupidity than the general populous, so my rates are generally lower and service better too. :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

gn2 wrote: Most insurers do not charge any admin fee for non performance related modifications.
Most now state you may or will incur a fee for any change on the policy and the better of them detail those changes that can wait until renewal (some speeding codes for example). I was with Ford Insure for many years and they never charged me any changes so it may be linked to newer policies. My current insurers via Sainsburys will charge £15 which is cheap, I think the average is or was £30.

I think it has more to do with keeping their quotes keen as they now generate a lot of business via comparison sites. I would not be surprised if deals via brokers did not attract admin fees.
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

maddiedog wrote:Insurance in the UK is so silly. I can mod the hell out of my scooter here in the US, and as long as I don't change the displacement, they don't care. That said, even if I did change the displacement and didn't tell them, they would probably process any claim anyways. :lol: Insurance here protects the rider, not the insurer.
If you have state farm, all they want to know about is cylinder count... this is a statement from my agent. Upgrading from 4 to 6 or 6 to 8, etc... lol. 300+ horsepower boosted 95 civic hatchback sits in my driveway now, insurance as cheap as a whistle