Scuffs and a melt!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Scuffs and a melt!

Post by gbru2505 »

Here's the scuffs from when I came down on the frost. Luckily I was moving slowly. I've used very fine grade sandpaper before. Would it do the trick on the front end? I've had some success taking scratches out of an acrylic rooltop bath in the past. I've no idea what to do about the rear scrape. There's actually a fixing visible through the 'crack'.

Incidentally posting another pick of heat damage from the tall Givi. Must have happened with an unlikely bout of hot weather a month or so ago. The pic isn't very clear, but the plastic has discoloured and there are slight undulations. I guess if I lived in the states or med, my bike would just be a blob of melted plastic by now!
Attachments
Melt.jpg
Melt.jpg (216.24 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
scrape 2.jpg
scrape 2.jpg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Scrape 1.jpg
Scrape 1.jpg (152.36 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
G'Bru
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Scuffs and a melt!

Post by gn2 »

Replacing the damaged panels is the best option.
Or leave as is.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I must say that I have not seen a panel melt on a PCX. I have taken my bike out in 100°F temps and the only thing that got really hot was the seat. I have a 2013 model with the tall Givi windscreen. Maybe Honda decided to make their panels a little thinner? It is interesting that any panel on their bike melts, especially since the bikes are built in SE Asia, which gets very hot in the summer months.

As far as the scuffs go, try working on the back ones first. They will be the least obvious. Start with the somewhat course sandpaper to knock off the rough edges. Then work your way down to fine and super fine sandpaper. Keep in mind that the paint thickness on the parts is not much, so you can find out how much effort will give you the results you want by working slowly. Good luck. If it does not work, at least those particular panels are inexpensive and easy to install. The front one?? Not so easy.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

I guess it depends on how much it would bother you to see the scars every time you ride? If you use a light touch you might get the front scrapes acceptable, but the footpeg area is going to be more difficult to make pretty again.

Regarding the Givi, is it the bike plastic or the windscreen that's deforming? If it's the bike plastic, I wonder if it was parked at the right angle to generate some magnifying effect from the sun shining thru the windscreen?
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

The bike plastics. The warning that comes with the tall Givi is not to face the bike away from the sun, with the inside of the screen causing a concave reflection concentrated back onto the plastics. It was unusually hot in early March - with the sun low in the sky in the UK even at midday. I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago but don't really know when it happened for sure. I'll try to get a better picture of the distorted bodywork. I really don't know what else could have caused it. Others might have a better explanation.
G'Bru
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I HAVE heard of melts! They're always around the windscreen. It takes just the right angle to searing sun to considerate the heat under OR near the edge of a windscreen. Something to think about when parking on a hot summer day. That's too bad but very interesting post... thanks for the reminder.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Wow gn2, I am really surprised to read about a building doing that. I have seen buildings with reflective glass everywhere, many of them built way back in the '70s. Does this mean those buildings are just as dangerous as that "Walkie-Talkie" building?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Check the curves on that building. While is looks awesomely cool, it also looks like a parabolic collector, and probably has a focal point that wasn't thought out very well.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Worried about the sun ?.The ground winds from that same bldg will give you a whirlwind ride.Great girl watching spot too.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

gbru2505 wrote:The bike plastics. The warning that comes with the tall Givi is not to face the bike away from the sun, with the inside of the screen causing a concave reflection concentrated back onto the plastics.
Wow! I don't remember my Honda tall windscreen having the same warning. I'll have to find the install instructions and look for that! Thanks!!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

I'm surprised that there was only £946 damage (for the listed parts) to a Jaguar!!
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

Here's a clearer pic of the distortion. Didn't think this would be possible during an English springtime.
Attachments
Melt closeup.jpg
Melt closeup.jpg (164.9 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
G'Bru
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Here's a clearer pic of the distortion. Didn't think this would be possible during an English springtime.
Hot damn!

Thank you for sharing this info . . ..

Sorry that it happened to you but FWIW you may have saved that aggravation from happening to countless others who paid heed to your warning! ;)
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

Yes. The tall Givi. Parking is tight on the street so I pop the bike out from the front garden onto the road as we use the car at weekends so we have parking when we get home. I used to take the cover off and leave it off if the weather was dry just to make it easy to wheel out, but I'll be keeping the cover on in sunny weather from now on. I need to have a think about parking it in the shade at work now too. I suppose owners in hot countries are more cautious, or just don't use tall screens. They seem popular in Italy though.
G'Bru
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gbru2505 wrote:Here's a clearer pic of the distortion. Didn't think this would be possible during an English springtime.

It’s rain damage then.
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

Ha, ha. Or freeze-thaw action.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
G'Bru