My winter ride

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

My winter ride

Post by khaosaming »

Like I said in another thread, I used to have a Zoomer (Ruckus). I used it as my primary winter transport and commuter. Sometimes temperatures would drop to 20 degrees Celsius below zero, and she would still start. Ride-wise, it's paradoxical that the colder it gets, the better the grip on the road. The ice kind of gets sticky and the air is void of moisture, hence the improved riding conditions. The ideal weather would be something like -15, clear sky, no wind. If it dropped below minus 25, the Ruckus had a hard time waking up, because of the battery charge dropping too low.

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My winter ride

Post by Taz »

Never knew it got that cold in Trat ;)
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I try to forget about those lovely snow white winter days when I'm here.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

khaosaming wrote:Sometimes temperatures would drop to 20 degrees Celsius below zero, and she would still start. Ride-wise, it's paradoxical that the colder it gets, the better the grip on the road.
Stunning story there! I can’t imagine riding in that weather. o_O

An advantage of a Ruckus over a PCX in that weather is that the Ruckus goes slower and you are less apt to frostbite from wind chill.
Ice is slipperiest at 32 F (0 C). Ice molecules are too fragile and break or melt from the friction of the weight of your footsteps or tire treads.

As temps go down, the structure of ice is stronger, and so becomes less slippery. Ice on the road is not at all slippery at -20 F. It is difficult to ice skate below 20 F, and near impossible below 0 F. Ice skate blades don’t melt the ice at low temps, so the skates won’t go.

I wish I didn’t know all this stuff, but my year in Minneapolis taught me more than I ever wanted to know. :roll:
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

Taz wrote:Never knew it got that cold in Trat ;)
I think this is when he was in Finland