PCX 150 top speed?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kjmillig
Year: 2013
Color: Red

PCX 150 top speed?

Post by kjmillig »

My 2013 PCX 150 will maintain a top speed of ~60 mph. At about 63-64 it starts to "chug" or hesitate. Is 60 about right, or do I need some service to increase that?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: PCX 150 top speed?

Post by Mel46 »

How many miles are on the belt? Does it have any other "windshield" other than the original one that does nothing? When was the bike last serviced, valves checked, oil changed, plug changed, etc?

There are a lot of variables that can affect your top end.

As an example:
My 2013 has a tall windshield, new belt, NCY variator & drive face, 13 gram rollers, fresh oil, new tires (Michelin City Grips), and better rear shocks. It can top out at 75 mph. Before I added upgrades it could top out in the mid 60s. I am not sure about it without the tall windshield. I have had it on almost since the day I bought it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

I have a National Cycle Touring tall windshield. I don't know about the belt, so I have to assume that it's the original with almost 9000 miles on it, and everything else original. Just changed the oil, with no difference in performance. Just added a 30 liter tail box with no difference in performance. I bout the bike about 1500 miles ago, so I do not know if it has ever had anything else done to it mechanically, like spark plug and valves.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Replace the belt and spark plug.
Then:
Go to Corsportusa.com and buy NCY variator, drive face and 13 gram rollers. They are advertised for 2011 pcx 125. Don't be concerned. They fit the 2013 PCX 150 nicely.
Once those are fitted and broken in you should be hitting 70 mph on flat roads easily. Have fun. :-)

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... ke%3DHONDA
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

kjmillig wrote:I have a National Cycle Touring tall windshield. I don't know about the belt, so I have to assume that it's the original with almost 9000 miles on it, and everything else original. Just changed the oil, with no difference in performance. Just added a 30 liter tail box with no difference in performance. I bout the bike about 1500 miles ago, so I do not know if it has ever had anything else done to it mechanically, like spark plug and valves.
FWIW, I own the same bike 2013 with 1700 miles on it. Just adjusted valves, changed oil, and final. I don't have a windshield yet, but mine will barely hit 63 on the flat. I've yet to drive it without some kind of side wind though.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The 2013 model is the fastest PCX model Honda produced. After that they started messing with the hearing, and then the whole bike was redone, with the latest version having less cc than the 2013.

There are things to think about on all of them though, such as the amount of wind you will be driving into, and how broken in the engine is. Also, On any cvt scooter that has over 5,000 miles on the belt you will observe some loss of top end.

Getting back to your particular machines...
Without a windshield to divert the wind, you are riding the scooter into a wall of resistance. The wind will hit you right in the chest and it will not be diverted so you will be riding into resistance.

Next thing..
If you want more out of the scooter you will need to change the variator to an aftermarket so that the belt will move further out onto it and give you higher top end.
Changing the rollers only changes how fast you get to whatever top end it already has. It will not give you more top end.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

That feeling at 63-64 is the scooter hitting the limiter. Mine hit the limiter at the same speed until I Swapped out the variator and roller weights. Now it hits the limiter at 75.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

honkerman wrote:That feeling at 63-64 is the scooter hitting the limiter. Mine hit the limiter at the same speed until I Swapped out the variator and roller weights. Now it hits the limiter at 75.
That's 15mph faster than the scooter was intended to be ridden by Honda.
Ride safer - save your $, buy a bigger bike. PCX is not a highway bike. Too light, too short.
Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Although I agree that the PCX has no reason or right to be up there at 75 miles an hour, (the bike is entirely too light for interstate work), But that’s a decision that Honda has made, its not indigenous to the segment. Yamaha feels differently, their Smax will routinely do in the mid 70s because of the way that it’s geared, variator wise.

Do the NCY thing on a PCX and it will do mid 70s too.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
kjmillig

Post by kjmillig »

Honkerman and Mel46, thanks for the explanations on how the variator and rollers work and why I am feeling that top end hesitation. I like my PCX, perfect for running back and forth to work and errands, but I'm saving my pennies for a >300cc scoot.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

There are two major advantages I found for trading in my beautiful Suzuki Burgman 400 for a PCX 150.
The first was because I speed way more time riding in the neighborhood and on back country roads than on freeways. On the freeway the Burgman 400 was comfortable, easily kept up with traffic, and had very little wind buffeting. In town was a different story. I couldn't just turn it into some tight little space to park it, and backing it was a pain.
The second reason was the gas mileage. Yes, the Burgman had a bigger tank, but 100+ mpg is much better. When traveling on back roads it was not unusual to get 114 mpg. Even with only a 1.6 gallon tank it went and went and went. More smiles per gallon for sure.
Everything is a tradeoff.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

iNUKE
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by iNUKE »

Top speed of pcx125 is 60mph.
Sometimes you will go past 60 and hit 62 or even 64 as per meter showing, but pcx is limited to 60mph, you could go faster, the engine has power for more, but its limited to 60.
Theres probably a way to remove that limiter if you care to go faster.

I just rode from manchester to london on a pcx125 on the motorway, 60/62mph constantly non stop.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

As I have stated before, if you want the PCX to go faster you have to purchase and install a. Aftermarket variator. Honda chose the one that came on it because they wanted better economy. Aftermarket companies concentrate on faster, not more economical. It doesn't matter if you have a 125cc or a 150cc, you can go faster with a different variator. I would also change the rollers o that I could get to the top end quicker.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

fish wrote:
honkerman wrote:That feeling at 63-64 is the scooter hitting the limiter. Mine hit the limiter at the same speed until I Swapped out the variator and roller weights. Now it hits the limiter at 75.
That's 15mph faster than the scooter was intended to be ridden by Honda.
Ride safer - save your $, buy a bigger bike. PCX is not a highway bike. Too light, too short.
Fish
You’ve made the assumption that I do this kind of riding often. I’ve only had it up that fast a handful of times and mostly just to test the capacity of the bike. Most of my riding is between 30 and 50 mph. The only reason I even mentioned the top speed at all is that this was the question posed.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

Quote "The 2013 model is the fastest PCX model Honda produced"

And the mods I read on this thread, are all done on the 2013 model.

Has anyone done this to the 2016 or newer. I would like to hear your results.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8759&hilit=2016+with+a+NCY+variator

That should answer some of your questions.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

UK Picxie
Year: 2019

Post by UK Picxie »

iNUKE wrote:Top speed of pcx125 is 60mph.
Sometimes you will go past 60 and hit 62 or even 64 as per meter showing, but pcx is limited to 60mph, you could go faster, the engine has power for more, but its limited to 60.

I just rode from manchester to london on a pcx125 on the motorway, 60/62mph constantly non stop.
Wow, that’s a good effort, how was it comfort wise etc?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The limiter restricts the rpm, not mph. Change the variator to an aftermarket one. It will allow your belt to travel a little farther out which will allow your speed to increase too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

iNUKE
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by iNUKE »

UK Picxie wrote:
iNUKE wrote:Top speed of pcx125 is 60mph.

Wow, that’s a good effort, how was it comfort wise etc?
It was just fine, as long as you change riding positions now and then you wont get tired, its just a little boring the fact that you are stuck at 60mph, so its boring, but not uncomfortable.
What I did was stop here and there (about 5 times, have a coffee and whatnot), and then ride in between 50-60 so its a bit more fun, also swing right and left, whatever just try to enjoy.
Its boring but not uncomfortable is my review of that ride.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:There are two major advantages I found for trading in my beautiful Suzuki Burgman 400 for a PCX 150.
The first was because I speed way more time riding in the neighborhood and on back country roads than on freeways. On the freeway the Burgman 400 was comfortable, easily kept up with traffic, and had very little wind buffeting. In town was a different story. I couldn't just turn it into some tight little space to park it, and backing it was a pain.
The second reason was the gas mileage. Yes, the Burgman had a bigger tank, but 100+ mpg is much better. When traveling on back roads it was not unusual to get 114 mpg. Even with only a 1.6 gallon tank it went and went and went. More smiles per gallon for sure.
Everything is a tradeoff.
I sold my Burgman 400 for exactly the same reasons as quoted above. I kept my PCX for the inverse of the reasons quoted above. Nothing but nothing could move me to sell my PCX. Would you sell your dog who has been faithful and loyal all his life? (Mind you, PCX is NOT a dog in any other sense than in the context of faith and loyalty!)