Check engine light PGM-FI

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

smrbike
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Check engine light PGM-FI

Post by smrbike »

On vacation vs at home for in depth analysis. Driving ok for 9 days. After multiple starts and stops today, went to start and nothing. Stand up, kill switch to run position nothing. Noticed CE Light on. Checked 10A FI fuse, ckd OK. Tried to jump start, nothing. BP UP at this point. Tried a few times more , eventually manic and started. Drove 6 miles back to overnight location, turned off and restarted 3 times ok. Confused. Possible corrosion on 10 fuse, took a few moments for battery jump to energize old battery or itself?, battery is GTZ8V so no water checks - agm.

Pcx150 is important get around vehicle for 3 more weeks. Need been there answer vs guesses for now. Should I bite the bullet and purchase a replacement battery jic?
Now: '16 PCX150, '13 CB1100
Still-To-Do: Life, ...
Prior: '70s CB450, '90s-00s CB750 Nighthawk
First: '60s Honda 50 or 90
smrbike

Re: Check engine light PGM-FI

Post by smrbike »

Managed not manic in first post.

Is there any way to have power on with a battery drain if the key was
removed from the seat/ fuel position vs the off locked position? Obviously the engine is not running and the lights are off.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Can't help diagnose your issue - but is there a 10Ah or 12Ah battery of the same physical size as your little battery? YUASA batteries have a chart on their website to check. More powerful batteries cost little more than orig. small ones.
Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

What is the resting voltage? Is it Above 12.0 w/ engine off? Also you might want to pull the battery and take it to any auto parts store , and they can do a “load test”. This is not a voltage test.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

Fyi, I'm technical and happen to be a battery retailer as one of my businesses. Thanks for the replies. I could do detail analysis if I were home, but on the road I don't have access to my equipment or resources. I was wondering if anyone had actually seen this situation before. Once I finally resolve it, I'll post my lessons learned to assist future members.

I called my local Honda service department back home and he agreed with my suspicion that it may be related to the fact I washed off my 150 to remove a boatload of pollen and possibly some water got into the kill or ignition switches. It was just strange that it didn't happen right away vs many starts later. Possible due to the daily riding shook a drop or two loose later in the day. I'll check voltage and restart tomorrow. If all ok, probably my suggested theory will be my best thought on this subject. Let you know tomorrow.
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

Jge64 wrote:What is the resting voltage? Is it Above 12.0 w/ engine off? Also you might want to pull the battery and take it to any auto parts store , and they can do a “load test”. This is not a voltage test.
A charged resting battery should be 12.8 to 13.2 Vdc. I'd be looking for a new battery below 12.5-12.7.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

smrbike wrote:
Jge64 wrote:What is the resting voltage? Is it Above 12.0 w/ engine off? Also you might want to pull the battery and take it to any auto parts store , and they can do a “load test”. This is not a voltage test.
A charged resting battery should be 12.8 to 13.2 Vdc. I'd be looking for a new battery below 12.5-12.7.
Yeah I know that, I was in the battery business too. Sold AGM’s odyssey’s for a few years....But above 12.0 the bike should start, that would at least tell you if you got a problem ....if it’s below 12.as you know, low voltage csn generate phantom faults like the CEL....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Hi smrbike -
I had a no start episode a couple of years back. Eventually I got to the point of checking the ECU. In doing so, I had to unplug and replug the multi-pin connectors. I have not had a problem since. Obviously I can't say for sure that this is your problem, but it may be something to check if the situation persists. It does involve undressing the little darling a bit, but it is a free thing to check. The ECU is located on the right side of the frame just behind the front wheel.

My saga is here - final solution on page three.
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7878
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

Update
I let the 150 sit overnight- resting voltage before anything was 12.71. It started, but I did notice it was somewhat of a weaker sound than I am used to. After start, the voltage was 12.55. So I am confident that the battery was the cause for the CE light even though it is not documented anywhere as a reason. I called my knowledgeable local service manager and he concurred. He has seen a bad battery illuminate the CE light many times. Condition solved! I'll get a new battery when I get back home. Until then, I'll keep jumper cables under the seat jic.
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

Reverified problem. Awoke early to catch first light atop Cadillac mountain in Acadia National Park in Bar Harbour, Maine. Every thing completed, ready to, turn the switch, watch the needles over and back and the CE light never went off. With jumper cables under the seat standard now, 5 minutes later destiny was met.