speedometer and odometer stopped working.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: speedometer and odometer stopped working.

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Mel, I just remembered that maddiedog provided us with the PCX wiring diagram :) it's right here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=771
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fungomerry

Post by fungomerry »

thanks all, I had already downloaded the wiring diagram and traced them as far as i could and they checked out fine.

the display seemed to start going wrong very soon after my last refuel so maybe the problem is associated with the fuel sensor?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How does the fuel sensor affect the speedometer and odometer? I havent followed the diagram all the way through yet, but it would seem to me that you should at least be able to see your old mileage on the odometer.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fungomerry

Post by fungomerry »

Mel46 wrote:How does the fuel sensor affect the speedometer and odometer? I havent followed the diagram all the way through yet, but it would seem to me that you should at least be able to see your old mileage on the odometer.
No reason apart from the fact that that fault coincided with a refuel. Also as the digital display also no longer displays fuel level

The more I think about it the more I think it is a faulty dashboard.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The 2011-13 123 dash is £65 on Ebay - then there is the nice electronic alternative :)
fungomerry

Post by fungomerry »

iceman wrote:The 2011-13 123 dash is £65 on Ebay - then there is the nice electronic alternative :)
If it is the dash then I will be saving up for the kitico one :-)
fungomerry

Post by fungomerry »

Local dealer says that it wont be fixed under warranty as I have missed to services. He wanted £80 just to have a look at the problem :-(

Is Webike the cheapest site to pick up the Kitaco speedo at £225 inc shipping to the UK?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fungomerry wrote:Local dealer says that it wont be fixed under warranty as I have missed to services. He wanted £80 just to have a look at the problem :-(

Is Webike the cheapest site to pick up the Kitaco speedo at £225 inc shipping to the UK?

That's almost 10% of the bikes new price
rebrab842
Year: 2011
Color: black

Post by rebrab842 »

Its a broken wire somewhere on the loom. I had this problem fixed under warranty so don't know a lot about it.Its something to do with the suspension going up and down and rubbing through the wire .
fungomerry

Post by fungomerry »

rebrab842 wrote:Its a broken wire somewhere on the loom. I had this problem fixed under warranty so don't know a lot about it.Its something to do with the suspension going up and down and rubbing through the wire .
Damn, that is depressing as I have no idea how to go about checking that :-(

Can I check the current with a voltmeter where the loom plugs into the dashboard?
rebrab842
Year: 2011
Color: black

Post by rebrab842 »

Sorry not really sure, it will be one of the wires to the speed sensor ,but you'll still need to take off some of the bodywork to see where it rubs. they told me that the rear suspension moves up and down and chafes the wire causing it to break.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

fungomerry wrote:
rebrab842 wrote:Its a broken wire somewhere on the loom. I had this problem fixed under warranty so don't know a lot about it.Its something to do with the suspension going up and down and rubbing through the wire .
Can I check the current with a voltmeter where the loom plugs into the dashboard?
Although you may be able to spot where the problem is by removing panels, a better way to check end-end continuity is to remove the battery (don't want any shorts!) and with panels removed, check using the ohm (resistance measurement) on a meter one end to other - if the wiring loom and diagram makes sense. May be a lot of work not knowing where things are routed, but once found, you may be able to lay a new wire in for next to nothing.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

fungomerry wrote:
Although you may be able to spot where the problem is by removing panels, a better way to check end-end continuity is to remove the battery (don't want any shorts!) and with panels removed, check using the ohm (resistance measurement) on a meter one end to other - if the wiring loom and diagram makes sense. May be a lot of work not knowing where things are routed, but once found, you may be able to lay a new wire in for next to nothing. Thanks fungomerry, useful to know this - without 'something' reaching the dash, it acts dumb and shows nothing rather than zero or such.