Riding Tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Riding Tips

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Utter bollocks.
The whole point of oil is to reduce friction, this isn't achieved by increasing the stickyness between the metal components, if it was we would be filling the crankcase with glue.
School is in... read on young man!

http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/ar ... tion-2.php
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Everyone is actually right here - it comes down to the scale that you are looking at. From the molecular, surface chemistry scale, you want a material that will "stick" on the surface when not being flooded by oil pumps and spread by the mechanical motion of metal things. This will prevent corrosion during idle periods, and provide lubrication during those first few milliseconds before the lubricant starts to flow.

At the more common and understandable scale, you want a lubricant that, well, lubricates. "The slippery stuff is best" is totally appropriate at the user's scale. To me, GN2 is clearly making a bit of a joke by stating the obvious in response to a discussion that was getting overly serious.

And Easyrider is also right to give more information to those who choose to go into the technical aspects of lubricants. If your eyes glaze over by the end of the first paragraph, well, move on. OTOH, if an article sparks an interest and starts a new quest for more information, that's great as well.

We have gotten far off the topic of "Riding tips", but that is sort of what happens around here (and pretty much everywhere else).

I've only been riding for three years - my only tip is stay alert (God knows the world needs more lerts), and assume that you are invisible.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

GeorgeSK wrote:To me, GN2 is clearly making a bit of a joke by stating the obvious in response to a discussion that was getting overly serious.
At least somebody gets it :)

As far as the PCX/Forza is concerned, oil is oil, if it says 10w30 on the bottle its the right stuff.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Utter bollocks.
The whole point of oil is to reduce friction, this isn't achieved by increasing the stickyness between the metal components, if it was we would be filling the crankcase with glue. gn2

Yep, this is a joke... where its going I have no idea?? As long as some of us learn something its a good thing. As far as riding tips go... Always keep some air between you and anything solid.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"If the bike fits.....wear it!! :D

Have some Fun, Take a sit here: http://cycle-ergo.com
and see how you look atop your favorite or any/all of them.

Looking Good? Flat-footed? Leaning forward or upright? What's yer pleasure?

Here's an example:
image.png
image.png (68.74 KiB) Viewed 964 times
^^^ This "toon" dude ^^^ is 5'8" with an inseam of 29" sitting upright on a PCX.
You got the idea! Pick your bike, set your height, set your inseam and....then Look at Toon You :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Just realized! :lol: :lol: :lol:
the Toon above is already dressed a-glow!
Snap! 8)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Are you Sure it's a Figure Eight? I thought so too, but not really. The MSF course calls it "The Box."
Now Think "S" (Super-Rider) ;)

From a Full Stop Enter where he stands. Follow S around and Exit (opposite corner).

See it :geek:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Watch it 8)

To enter your location and other: Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of this page). Upon arrival, click Profile in left column. See the questions? Please Complete. Tis Simple. We Thank You Much (o;

"Miles From Nowhere, I Guess I'll Take My Time...Ohh yeah" Cat Stevens
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Now that I see the video above, that's exactly what I just did at the MSF course I took while on my recent trip back to the US ... but it was a bit of an adventure ..... o_O

I passed the exam/test, but the practice rounds had a bit of tension/drama with me losing my bike on its right side during one of the loops. It was a low speed lay-over and I came out of it uninjured, but nonetheless, it threw me down pretty hard. I was using my Yamaha Majesty YP400 which weighs just under 470lbs (212kg) which I had only put about 50 miles on since purchasing it, so I didn't exactly have a good feel for it. I am more use to my PCX which only weighs about 285lbs (130kg).

I banged by head on the ground with a solid clunk. :? Fortunately my helmet did its job. :D My right foot got trapped between the ground and the seat, but my boots did their job as well. In the end I was none the worse for wear.

This all happened just before the test, and I was pretty tense, but I made it through without losing too many points and was issued the certificate which allowed be to go to the DMV and be issued a full NYState motorcycle license.

The experience taught me the importance of ATGATT. If I hadn't had my helmet on, I struck the ground hard enough that I am certain that it would have cracked my skull at a minimum. :o A valuable lesson learned.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The experience taught me the importance of ATGATT. If I hadn't had my helmet on, I struck the ground hard enough that I am certain that it would have cracked my skull at a minimum. :o A valuable lesson learned.
If you ever have another "get off". . .and we all hope you don't (nor ourselves ;) ) think about this inspirational lady who had her challenges and endured and went on with her career. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPOSGVUYgVQ
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Member fish recently posted a thread on "turning your bike around on a hill." You'll find that thread in our PCX How-To board.

I'm just grabbing the videos provided in that thread and adding them here in riding tips. Do watch ;)

Thank you fish ;)

and Thank you E. Foster Salsbury ;)