Winter riding tips?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Winter riding tips?

Post by romnation »

I don't know what it is about sub freezing temps here in Chicago, but it seems like the cold weather has brought out some absolutely awful drivers. Or maybe they're just not used to seeing people on 2 wheels still, I dunno. I've had a couple close calls recently and my winter riding confidence has waned. Almost ready to just lock it up till we're back to warm weather again. Also even with dry roads in under freezing temps it seems like the handling isn't quite as good and its easier to lock the wheels. Do cold tires have an effect on the scoot handling and if so, how long does it take the tires to warm up?
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Winter riding tips?

Post by NADman »

how long does it take the tires to warm up?

April 2019.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When the weather gets cold drivers turn up the heaters in their cars. From that point of view, they are probably not as awake and observant. Add the fact that they believe no one else has important business to get to, and you have a bunch of jerks behind the wheel.

Hmmm...I wonder what their excuses are during the summer.

Ok, so they are always jerks. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Mel46 wrote:When the weather gets cold drivers turn up the heaters in their cars. From that point of view, they are probably not as awake and observant.
Hmmm...I wonder what their excuses are during the summer.
Correct, look up "heat induced fatigue" and how it affects driving skills. So bottom line: when it is cold they turn up the heating in the car to induce fatigue, during summer those without AC also experience this heat induced fatigue :lol: :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Also Tis the Season... see other post.
Cold weather has a deleterious affect on tire pressures and will minimize maneuverability and ride characteristics. Best tip is to park it in the winter and if you go out make sure its a dry, sunny day, with no wind and temps are up(?).. dress warm and keep it under 45.. wind chill is penetrating. Some use heated jackets /gloves to aid them in the winter.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

As long as there's no snow or ice on the roads I think the danger lies with people having too much on their minds. . .they just can't multitask like a computer and keep up opening tabs in their heads without it taking away from their primary mission which is to focus on the driving. :geek:

Year's end means property taxes coming due, $$ for presents for family and friends, $$ for food/beverages for the Holiday get-togethers, kids coming home from college, who's going to pick up Grandpa and Grandma for the Holiday celebration and bring them home?, frost on the windshield with lousy wiper blades, bad cold/keep sneezing, traffic jams/trying to make up for lost time, what presents to buy and for whom?, store front decorations distractions, and the list goes on. All this stuff gets swirling around in peoples brains while they are behind the wheel trying to figure out solutions to every little challenge. And then you suddenly come along on your motor scooter. . .. 8)

To add insult to injury you also have people under the influence, on medications, suffering from dementia and won't hang up the keys, and just plain air heads to content with. o_O

Other than that some people are just fine and totally committed to the driving task at hand. . .I think. :roll:

Basically, and as others have mentioned here, ride like nobody sees you. Wear ATGATT, or at least most of it. . .helmet for sure. Live and be well. . .Happy Holidays! :D
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Nothing stopped me more quickly than cold hands. NO glove, muff combo worked in the temps I rode....until I found battery heated glove liners. ("Gerbing") Worn under thick leather gauntlets. ...hands stay warm for 3 hours.
No concerns about drawing down on small scooter batteries....the last thing I want miles from home on a frigid day.
Fish
Last edited by fish on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by xixon »

I'm able to ride my PCX almost everyday of the winter, as we seldom get snow but I do limit my rides to short trips to pick up food/beer

I park in an underground lot, so the temps never go below 60F (15C) and typically the outside winter temps are around 35 to 50F (2 to 10C)

I use Chevron high-octane fuel during the winter which also has no ethanol which helps prevent condensation, and I also keep a close eye on my tire pressure
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

xixon wrote:I'm able to ride my PCX almost everyday of the winter, as we seldom get snow but I do limit my rides to short trips to pick up food/beer

I park in an underground lot, so the temps never go below 60F (15C) and typically the outside winter temps are around 35 to 50F (2 to 10C)

I use Chevron high-octane fuel during the winter which also has no ethanol which helps prevent condensation, and I also keep a close eye on my tire pressure
I don't understand - how does high octane/no ethanol fuel prevent condensation?
My understanding is that ethanol laced fuels prevent/absorb water in the station and gas tanks. Bottled "dry gas" additives are no longer needed with the fuel blends here in Ohio.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

fish wrote:
xixon wrote:I'm able to ride my PCX almost everyday of the winter, as we seldom get snow but I do limit my rides to short trips to pick up food/beer

My understanding is that ethanol laced fuels prevent/absorb water in the station and gas tanks. Bottled "dry gas" additives are no longer needed with the fuel blends here in Ohio.
Fish
I think he means phase separation instead of condensation.
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by xixon »

fish wrote:

Fish
I buy the Chevron 94 super only because it's the only fuel I can buy here without ethanol.

I'm not an expert in fuel, but I was under the impression that ethanol does absorb the water which can cause issues
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The water comes from the air in the tank.
Keep the tank full there's no water to absorb ;)
All current Honda motorcycles and scooters can cope with up to 10% ethanol, for any PCX it makes absolutely no difference whether the fuel has up to 10% ethanol or not.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:The water comes from the air in the tank.
All current Honda motorcycles and scooters can cope with up to 10% ethanol, for any PCX it makes absolutely no difference whether the fuel has up to 10% ethanol or not.
HMMM!?? Always a good idea to keep the tank full for other reasons such as emergency situations that suddenly arise, but in actuality even at 100 % humidity you will never get enough water to condense inside your tank to affect any significant contamination.. Most water contaminates come from fuel stations by leaking groundwater, above ground fill points , fuelers , rain water finds its way into the tanks. Use newer stations and never get gas when there is refueling taking place. GN2 is right it doesnt matter 10% or not .
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

easyrider wrote:
gn2 wrote:The water comes from the air in the tank.
easyrider said "Always a good idea to keep the tank full for other reasons such as emergency situations that suddenly arise," AND...."Use newer stations and never get gas when there is refueling taking place"
Agree totally. Told by Dad and Uncle and doing since the late 60's. All my vehicles. Add a little seafoam as well. Never hurt, infact more oomph and ahhh felt. Could be me though. I like GO power! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Sometimes I put fuel in, and I wipe off the dust, but the scooter doesn't want to go...so I have to get my lazy butt in gear and climb on, start it, and ride like the wind! I always feel better afterword. I think it is great for what ails you. :lol:

...and my scooter likes it too!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

romnation wrote:I don't know what it is about sub freezing temps here in Chicago, but it seems like the cold weather has brought out some absolutely awful drivers.
I remember years ago reading about Saab's analysis of heated seats and driving safety. Their view was that cold drivers were tense and less responsive, and that the heat (especially to the lower back) helped to relax the torso muscles thereby making a safer, more responsive driver. I'm still surprised that so many new cars sold here in Colorado don't come with heated seats as standard!
romnation wrote:Or maybe they're just not used to seeing people on 2 wheels still, I dunno.
It seems as though they're never used to 2-wheeled riders at any time of the year around here!
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

The only mod I do for winter riding is to wear closed-toed shoes instead of flip flops - my toes don't like sub 80 degree weather :D
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Don't wear flip flops when you ride. Not only is it bad on your feet if anything happens (such as an accident), but if the strap on your flip flop breaks while you are riding it will take your attention away from the road. Ride for the accident, not for the "fun-in-the-sun".
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Don't wear flip flops when you ride. Not only is it bad on your feet if anything happens (such as an accident), but if the strap on your flip flop breaks while you are riding it will take your attention away from the road. Ride for the accident, not for the "fun-in-the-sun".

Sorry Mel, I’m never going to ride for the accident.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

you you wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Don't wear flip flops when you ride. Not only is it bad on your feet if anything happens (such as an accident), but if the strap on your flip flop breaks while you are riding it will take your attention away from the road. Ride for the accident, not for the "fun-in-the-sun".

Sorry Mel, I’m never going to ride for the accident.
Me neither. I know Mel and his wife had a bad spill a few years ago and I've seen others get in some terrible accidents, but it's a risk/reward I'm willing to take. I'm sure wearing ATGATT on a scooter is much safer but it's a hell of a lot more fun to go without :D That said, when I did the high speed highway test on my new SMAX I was wearing full gear.

1/1/19 Edited/WN
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube