Frustrated iron cage drivers

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Frustrated iron cage drivers

Post by Mel46 »

Must be nice to be able to ride today. We have severe weather warnings, and it's raining. Looks ugly outside. Same front up north of us has snow and ice. Neither of these conditions is good riding weather...but neither is mad hatter weather. Choose wisely young Jedi.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oops, Sorry Mel. I should've mentioned that that was back in 2011 while living in Florida. Yeah, I wish I was there now. Perfect riding weather with beautiful skies, stunning sunsets.
Let's Pack!! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

As of now I will have to join the iron cage drivers again temporarily.
Not due to bad weather but due to a lowside crash with the pcx at around 50km/h - was in the port area near my house and there this patch of road which is somehow very very slippery. Once it nearly went wrong there and as of since I have been very cautious there but apparently not cautious enough this time.

Good news is: the doctor gave me the thumbs up and got dismissed from hospital without anything permanent (i hope). I am ok apart from my hand which took most of the initial impact on the ground and my upper thigh - strange sight taking off your gloves to see your hand covered in blood... No road rash as I was wearing my battle dress.

Even more a strange sight to slide down the road while you watch your bike sliding without a rider into the road separation area. And thank whoever I have to thank that the truck who was behind me managed to stop in time!

As soon as I recover fully so I can hold a wrench again I will probably be around the technical help part asking for some advice of you pcx whisperers. Haven't had the chance to assess all the damage but cosmetic wise there is plenty of work to do, i just hope nothing serious to the chassis - steering etc happened.

Off for some more rest and more painkillers - stay safe out there!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Sorry to hear about your spill. Take care of yourself and worry about the bike later.

I have had several wrecks in my life, and each time it was weird to be out-thinking my reactions and bike...like in slow motion. I can remember seeing my bike go in a different direction than I was going, and wondering where it was going without me. Then I remember telling myself that I had better prepare to hit the pavement, so tuck and roll, which I did. Then everything speeded up again as I was rolling down the highway. I got up afterwards, dusted myself off, and went to look for my bike. Very strange feeling. It is like being on the outside looking in and commenting to myself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

As of now I will have to join the iron cage drivers again temporarily.
Not due to bad weather but due to a lowside crash with the pcx at around 50km/h - was in the port area near my house and there this patch of road which is somehow very very slippery. Once it nearly went wrong there and as of since I have been very cautious there but apparently not cautious enough this time.
Sorry to hear about your spill. Take care of yourself and worry about the bike later.

I have had several wrecks in my life, and each time it was weird to be out-thinking my reactions and bike...like in slow motion. I can remember seeing my bike go in a different direction than I was going, and wondering where it was going without me. Then I remember telling myself that I had better prepare to hit the pavement, so tuck and roll, which I did. Then everything speeded up again as I was rolling down the highway. I got up afterwards, dusted myself off, and went to look for my bike. Very strange feeling. It is like being on the outside looking in and commenting to myself.
X2 what Mel said his explanation really kind of say's it all about the "like in slow motion" or "It's like being on the outside looking in" . . ..

One time I had a "get off" in a rotary (roundabout) at about the same speed you were going and my biggest concern was to get my left leg out from underneath the bike while everything was kind of playing itself out. I kept my hand on the throttle trying to spin the rear tire so as not to "high side" and just ease it down. The culprit was chain oil spray on the tire profile. . .stupid me. But it taught me a good lesson and not to be in a hurry doing chain maintenance from there on. :roll:

Get well soon!
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Mel46 wrote: I can remember seeing my bike go in a different direction than I was going, and wondering where it was going without me.
It is like being on the outside looking in and commenting to myself.
Perfect description of how I felt at the time.
Old Grinner wrote: One time I had a "get off" in a rotary (roundabout) at about the same speed you were going and my biggest concern was to get my left leg out from underneath the bike while everything was kind of playing itself out. I kept my hand on the throttle trying to spin the rear tire so as not to "high side" and just ease it down. The culprit was chain oil spray on the tire profile. . .stupid me. But it taught me a good lesson and not to be in a hurry doing chain maintenance from there on. :roll:
Roundabout exit with me as well - I started turning to exit the roundabout, felt the rear wheel going and from there on it first went very fast towards the ground. Slowmotion sliding and looking at the bike sliding, next seeing the truck coming up behind me. Fastforward again and crawling over to the road separation just to get as fast as I could away from the oncoming truck.

I did a first inspection of the bike this morning, steering seems ok and everything starts up, no leaks at radiator or whatever to be found. The most noticeable thing is that it seems as if the right passenger foot peg (I think it is aluminum) has seen a cheese grater together with the surrounding area. Other contact areas with the grater are the right handlebar weight, plastic muffler protection - which has melted/fused onto the muffler itself at some areas due to the heat of the exhaust. Due to the initial impact the right center console body panels seem to have snapped out of place. Anyhow the plan is, as soon as I am able to, to remove all the body panels to check the structural integrity of the frame etc...

At this point driving my car is also not an option as I can not use my right hand to shift so I will have my designated driver (a.k.a the misses) be driving me around :) .