Respray versus replacement?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Respray versus replacement?

Post by aphid »

I have three small and relatively minor scrapes on three panels of my ‘red’ PCX 125. Not noticeable but I know they are there. Will it be cheaper and/or easier to just replace the panels, or respray them?

Although I am willing to learn, I have no experience of rubbing down, filling and then respraying scratched panels nor am I sure how easy it would be to acquire the correct paint colour. Maybe the time and trouble carrying out the repairs isn’t justified with the possibility of the end result not looking pristine? The cost of the three new panels would be about £50 before associated shipping and import taxes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, please.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Respray versus replacement?

Post by Jge64 »

Having sprayed many panels and been auto painting for many years, my opinion is you should replace the panels. I am amazed how cheap each of these panels come completely ready to go , paint clearcoat, it it's just not worth the effort and the money on materials that you put into a scratch.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

New panels, but don't fit them, they'll only get scratched.
Fit them just before you sell it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Yes, replace with new -- the marks are barely noticeable -- yet you're still bothered by them.
Your amateur paint job will certainly prove even more disappointing!
Fish
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I 4th the recommendation to replace the panels. I did a full respray on a Buddy scooter once, it still wasn't as nice looking as the factory fairings. You'll be able to tell, and if the scratches bother you, the touchup paint will even more. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Haha....I am touched by your faith in my ability to learn and to do a professional looking respray job!
Seriously though, the unanimous advise, to simply replace the panels, is as I thought but having informed opinions from those who have experienced this dilemma is helpful and much appreciated. Thank you.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Maddiedog, you're alive! Glad to see that you have the time to check in on us. :lol:

I concur with Maddiedog and all the rest of the group. Replace the panel. HOWEVER... keep in mind that where the scratches are and how they got there may play a big part in the replacement process.

If the scratches are on one of the front covers, it will take quite a bit of effort and time to replace it. Like one member suggested, save the replacement panel until you are getting ready to sell the bike.

Next: how they got there.
If the scratches just occurred due to normal driving, such as gravel being kicked up against the panel somewhere along your normal travel route, then you have a high chance that the new panel will have the same fate.

I had some areas on my red PCX that received minor scratches, and this is what I did.

First, I ordered a new panel.

Second, while waiting for the replacement panel to arrive I purchased a small bottle of paint used for plastic models, at a hobby shop. Since I rode the bike to the store, they let me go out to the bike with the various shades until I found one that was close.

Last, I went home and touched up the scratches before parking the bike for the night. It took a couple of coats, but in the end it worked out nicely.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

if you must do a touchup,google DR COLORCHIP if you want and easy way to color the scratch...it works extremely well.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Mel46 wrote: If the scratches are on one of the front covers, it will take quite a bit of effort and time to replace it. Like one member suggested, save the replacement panel until you are getting ready to sell the bike.
Left and right side covers have scratches, and the left sticky out panel (!) by the headlight.

Right side cover got scratched because I once got too close to the curb, squeezing past an annoying car driver at a roundabout and heard the scrape as I squeezed through...he was taking sooo long to pull out.

The other scratches were one of those ‘WTF’ moments. I got my bike out of the garage, as I have done most mornings for over four years. Side stand out, as I always do at this point, while I closed the garage door. As I walked to the garage something caught my eye followed by a thump. Because there is a slight downward gradient at the end of my drive, the side stand collapsed back and up and the bike slid over. I was amazed there was so little damage, to be honest. But these things irritate and fester.

I have no plans to sell in the near future, so a fix is for peace of mind.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ignore the scratches and keep the money for petrol or for your next bike?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

aphid wrote: The other scratches were one of those ‘WTF’ moments. I got my bike out of the garage, as I have done most mornings for over four years. Side stand out, as I always do at this point, while I closed the garage door. As I walked to the garage something caught my eye followed by a thump. Because there is a slight downward gradient at the end of my drive, the side stand collapsed back and up and the bike slid over. I was amazed there was so little damage, to be honest. But these things irritate and fester.
Oh yes! I did the same thing with my Burgman 400. It sucks when that happens. Now I know why you want to replace the panel. :lol:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers