So, I dropped my bike. A cautionary tale.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Nines

So, I dropped my bike. A cautionary tale.

Post by Nines »

Yes, I dropped it (2013 PCX 150). How did it happen, you may ask? I got back from the first ride of the season, a lovely sunny day. I zipped up the driveway, turned off the bike and kicked down the side stand. I proceeded to get off and lean the bike on the stand. It leaned, and leaned and leaned. I realized too late what was going on. By this point, I was desperately hopping on one leg, trying to catch my scoot. It caught me in the leg and knocked me down over the 10ft high, boulder-strewn embankment at the edge of my yard. I got back up the bank, and thought I managed my swan dive unobserved, but then my neighbor came running around the corner of the house (bless him) to see who was killed. I still had on all my gear when I pitched down over the bank, so beat up my shins/knees, but that was it, luckily (bought some proper bike pants the next day). The scoot has a few scuffs, by the footboards, passenger peg, mirror, and the wingy part below the handlebars. Nothing's actually broken, I may get new body panels eventually. Anyways, watch out for that side stand, she's a b*tch! o_O
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: So, I dropped my bike. A cautionary tale.

Post by you you »

Nines wrote:Yes, I dropped it (2013 PCX 150). How did it happen, you may ask? I got back from the first ride of the season, a lovely sunny day. I zipped up the driveway, turned off the bike and kicked down the side stand. I proceeded to get off and lean the bike on the stand. It leaned, and leaned and leaned. I realized too late what was going on. By this point, I was desperately hopping on one leg, trying to catch my scoot. It caught me in the leg and knocked me down over the 10ft high, boulder-strewn embankment at the edge of my yard. I got back up the bank, and thought I managed my swan dive unobserved, but then my neighbor came running around the corner of the house (bless him) to see who was killed. I still had on all my gear when I pitched down over the bank, so beat up my shins/knees, but that was it, luckily (bought some proper bike pants the next day). The scoot has a few scuffs, by the footboards, passenger peg, mirror, and the wingy part below the handlebars. Nothing's actually broken, I may get new body panels eventually. Anyways, watch out for that side stand, she's a b*tch! o_O

Tipped of the side stand then :D
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Sorry to hear! I was filling the oil on my other scooter (Hnda Elite 110) the other day and rather than get a funnel, I tipped it way over and poured straight from the bottle. When I leaned it back on the centerstand, it rocked off it and I tried to catch it. I was SOOO close, but nope. It fell over but fortunately the scuffs aren't too bad.

Today, I was peeling off the black plastic cover on the grab rail to check the actual grab rail for potential surf rack mounting options. I was being as careful as I could, but I cracked the plastic about 2 inches. Just got off the phone with the dealer ordering the $19 part. =)

One thing I LOVE about this bike...the parts are SUPER cheap! 3 times cheaper almost than my 2010 Elite 110!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Nines, you were lucky. I forgot to put the kickstand down and at the last min tried to put it down like a dummy and the motorcycle landed on my foot and I broke it. I'm glad that you are okay other then a few bumps and scrapes. I'm sure your pride is more damaged then anything else.

The accident I had on my scooter it cost $250 in parts (most of that was the turn signal at $79) and the rest was labor from the dealer so my total came up to $711. Since it was the other person's fault her insurance company paid for it. Let me tell you the dealer went over the scooter with a fine tooth comb. A few of the parts I didn't even see. If I drop it in the future I would replace the parts myself.

I don't understand when I've gone on Craigslist and I see a lot of scooters in my area with damage on them, why wouldn't they repair them.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

The panels are surprisingly inexpensive... or at least much less expensive than I would have guessed. Probably wouldn't take much to do some self-repair.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Many people that ride scooters never reach 4k miles and then some person buys it cheap that doesn't know what they are doing on it. Just like most owners of cars can't change their own tires, most riders know how to start it and ride, but that's the extent of it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh, one of Those Falls where you say what the heck? :roll: :o
So glad you're alright!! Famous quote: Could have been worse, right?

Wow, Memories. The 'ol side stand fall. Recognize it. Not me (as of yet). Here's another tale:
It was at the very end of our Basic Riding Course, me and a friend (always more fun with a buddy, right?) It was Hot As Hell out 100+, the sun was Fire! We were wide open on an (unused) airport runway. Gear on, Sweating, & threatened all day with getting dehydrated.
You just couldn't drink enough, it would leave our bodies in minutes back on the runway. By tails end of training the heat made us tired and overly Anxious. We wanted to get past the training and onto the Riding "Test." So close, so close....Not there yet!
This combination brought a fall. Unexpectedly the instructor stopped all 10 of us. Then told us to dismount "properly." It was then I heard screaming. I turned and saw my friend o_O & bike going down. Panic mode on the runway! The instructor told everyone to stand their ground while he went over to help. Heart pounding, I yelled, are you alright, are you alright? Yes, yes came back. Relieved I watched. We were all so exhausted and now this! The damage? A few bruises & oh no! FEAR. But not enough. He continued the training, but failed "inside the box" during the "Riding Test." So Sad.

So why the fall, what happened? The side stand was Not faulty. The rider was tired, exhausted, dizzy & dehydrated. The stand was Never "fully" engaged. Upon dismounting, down went the bike taking the rider along. Unbelievable. All the play & hard work failed in just moments. Such a shame. I too lost, a scooter riding buddy...all because of that. Sigh.

Moral of story, "We don't have to move at all to fall." Watch those side stands. Give them a good test every so often, Before the ride.

Nines, I know you know what to do hereon. We all learn stuff by mistake, the hard way no matter how young or old, we gotta keep trying to do right. "That's the Way, of The World...." "We're Only Human"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Oh, one of Those Falls where you say what the heck? :roll: :o
So glad you're alright!! Famous quote: Could have been worse, right?

Wow, Memories. The 'ol side stand fall. Recognize it. Not me (as of yet). Here's another tale:
It was at the very end of our Basic Riding Course, me and a friend (always more fun with a buddy, right?) It was Hot As Hell out 100+, the sun was Fire! We were wide open on an (unused) airport runway. Gear on, Sweating, & threatened all day with getting dehydrated.
You just couldn't drink enough, it would leave our bodies in minutes back on the runway. By tails end of training the heat made us tired and overly Anxious. We wanted to get past the training and onto the Riding "Test." So close, so close....Not there yet!
This combination brought a fall. Unexpectedly the instructor stopped all 10 of us. Then told us to dismount "properly." It was then I heard screaming. I turned and saw my friend o_O & bike going down. Panic mode on the runway! The instructor told everyone to stand their ground while he went over to help. Heart pounding, I yelled, are you alright, are you alright? Yes, yes came back. Relieved I watched. We were all so exhausted and now this! The damage? A few bruises & oh no! FEAR. But not enough. He continued the training, but failed "inside the box" during the "Riding Test." So Sad.

So why the fall, what happened? The side stand was Not faulty. The rider was tired, exhausted, dizzy & dehydrated. The stand was Never "fully" engaged. Upon dismounting, down went the bike taking the rider along. Unbelievable. All the play & hard work failed in just moments. Such a shame. I too lost, a scooter riding buddy...all because of that. Sigh.

Moral of story, "We don't have to move at all to fall." Watch those side stands. Give them a good test every so often, Before the ride.

Nines, I know you know what to do hereon. We all learn stuff by mistake, the hard way no matter how young or old, we gotta keep trying to do right. "That's the Way, of The World...." "We're Only Human"
So they tipped over then?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I did the same thing a few months ago. I put the side stand down, but I guess I didn't fully extend it and it folded back up when I let the bike lean and over it went. Got away with no damage to me or the bike.

I also laid it down just over a month ago as I pulled into the spot where I always park it at work. The cement is real smooth and we were getting some repair work done to the exterior of the building, so there was a fair amount of dust on top of it which made it even more slick. That combined with the fact that I came in a little hot and just as I leaned it a little left, before I knew it, the wheels came out from under me and I was on the ground with my foot caught by the seat, unable to move. A few workers lifted the bike to free my foot and were pretty concerned about me. I was more embarrassed than anything and actually found it kind of humorous. It would have been funny to be able to get a selfie of being stuck there. :lol: :lol:

I forget who it is on these forums that has a signature that states something like: I have learned from my mistakes and I am pretty sure that I could repeat them all perfectly. That's one mistake I hope I don't repeat perfectly or otherwise.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

I tried to use the side stand on a downhill once.....
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoops!
:? and..............?
Tale goes........?
Good ending........? :geek:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If it was anything like my try on a downhill, things did not go well. I escaped easily enough, but there are a couple of souvenirs on the left running board and a scuff on the handlebar end. Not too high a price for the lesson learned.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Nines

Post by Nines »

Aaah! Thanks for the stories, it makes me feel a bit less embarrassed about it :)
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Well when I broke my foot I was at the BRC. I did it before we started the testing otherwise it would have been an automatic fail. I thought it was just a sprang so I iced it and laced up my boots tight and took the test. I did end up failing the driving part of the test by 4 points. If I had took the time to limp down to see the course I would have been fine.

Nines, we all have done things that we're embarrassed about. Now I make sure that I put the kick stand down first to kill the engine so I know that it is down and make sure that I keep my leg out of the way just in case it isn't all the way down.
Nines

Post by Nines »

katschamne wrote:Well when I broke my foot I was at the BRC. I did it before we started the testing otherwise it would have been an automatic fail. I thought it was just a sprang so I iced it and laced up my boots tight and took the test. I did end up failing the driving part of the test by 4 points. If I had took the time to limp down to see the course I would have been fine.

Nines, we all have done things that we're embarrassed about. Now I make sure that I put the kick stand down first to kill the engine so I know that it is down and make sure that I keep my leg out of the way just in case it isn't all the way down.
That's an excellent point. I shut the bike off with the kill switch before I put it down...I'll be doing it your way from now on!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

katschamne wrote:... Now I make sure that I put the kick stand down first to kill the engine so I know that it is down ...
This doesn't necessarily assure that it won't happen. The kill switch engages when the kick stand is only about one-third of the way extended. Thus, the motor cuts out before the kick stand is fully engaged so you can't trust that just because the motor is off that the kick stand is locked in place. As in my case, I failed to fully extend the kick stand, so when I leaned the bike on it, it simply folded back in and the bike fell over. It was completely my fault, but it was a lesson learned ... which I am sure I can repeat perfectly. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(