Winter riding

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rosey

Winter riding

Post by Rosey »

With British winter just around the corner I was wondering if anyone has used there PCX though a winter season and how they got on ?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Winter riding

Post by homie »

Until the temps are freezing I will get on with my snow pants, also some moisture wicking shirts under my riding jackets. But when there is any chance of black ice I'm out. I'm a noob winter rider so I need advice on gloves, not going to put those mittens on my scoot, There must be some other way to keep fingers from freezing.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Until the temps are freezing I will get on with my snow pants, also some moisture wicking shirts under my riding jackets. But when there is any chance of black ice I'm out. I'm a noob winter rider so I need advice on gloves, not going to put those mittens on my scoot, There must be some other way to keep fingers from freezing.

I would stay in if there is black ice about
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

last winter i rode 60 miles round trip to work each day with no major issues apart from the cold and side winds, it was a very mild winter compared to usual in the UK although very windy at times and the pcx seems to get blown all over in high winds compared my previous scoot. I'm thinking of buying the Tucano Urbano Leg Cover and mitts in time for the winter weather i'm getting older now and starting to feel the cold more lol. not quite sure the leg cover will do me any favors tho if the side winds are as bad as they were last winter tho!
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Will using mine through the winter, have done before on scoots and 1000cc bikes just watch the black ice!
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

I ride until the snow stays on the streets usually in December but as early as October here in Wisconsin. 13 degrees F. is the coldest temperature that I have been on the scoot. By using under and outer wear made with modern fabrics in layers, I have never regretted taking the scooter rather than the car.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I used mine to commute 27 miles each way in NE Scotland.
Not a problem if you understand meteorology and follow the weather trends.
Keep an eye out for the forecast when it drops below 5c if there is any chance of rain followed by a drop to 0c leave the scooter at home.
Similarly, any forecast of snow, leave it at home.
Keep rinsing the salt off, cold water, don't be tempted to use hot water to wash it, this actuivates the salt.
Keep the chrome bits on the fork legs clean, they can really suffer badly from rust.
A good going over with ACF-50 is time well spent.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Rosey

Post by Rosey »

gn2 wrote:I used mine to commute 27 miles each way in NE Scotland.
Not a problem if you understand meteorology and follow the weather trends.
Keep an eye out for the forecast when it drops below 5c if there is any chance of rain followed by a drop to 0c leave the scooter at home.
Similarly, any forecast of snow, leave it at home.
Keep rinsing the salt off, cold water, don't be tempted to use hot water to wash it, this actuivates the salt.
Keep the chrome bits on the fork legs clean, they can really suffer badly from rust.
A good going over with ACF-50 is time well spent.

Great advice........
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You'll not have any bother with the PCX in a UK winter, mine started first time every time even in temps well below freezing.
Some folk on here don't rate the OEM IRC tyres, I found them perfectly acceptable in all conditions..... if you ride sensibly.
Michelin City Grips are an excellent alternative, cheaper too and last much longer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Picked my new pcx up today, love it already just got to get in scooter mode and out of big bike mode and I will be fine!!
renlik
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by renlik »

I've fallen off once in 15 years - last year! On black ice, fractured a couple of ribs and hobbled around for a good 4-5 weeks - I'll be borrowing the wife's car if there's any chance of black ice.
2015 Honda PCX125 RED - UK Spec.

Previous Bikes: 99 Honda CB600F Hornet, 01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco, 01 Honda VFR800FI, 08 Honda CG125 ES7