"3 Wheels Maybe....."

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

"3 Wheels Maybe....."

Post by skuuter »

Mitzie and I have KMX Typhoon 8 Recumbent Trikes now also...8 speeds, disc brakes, etc. I added Headrests, Lights, and Cargo Bags since these Pics were taken.....

These Things are FANTASTIC FUN...and, "YES", we are the "engines"....!!!!!... :D 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: "3 Wheels Maybe....."

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoa! Can someone "strike a pose" on that rig? Pa...leeze? Hmm...wonder how my back would feel on one of those?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

WhiteNoise wrote:Whoa! Can someone "strike a pose" on that rig? Pa...leeze? Hmm...wonder how my back would feel on one of those?
I will take a Pic for You one day. My Wife has "Back Issues" riding regular bicycles, and motorcycles/scooters, but can ride pretty much all day on Her Recumbent Trike....seriously, these things are GREAT...!!!!!... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by blackcat54 »

Looks like the chain is guided through two (steel or plastic?) tubes under the seat area.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

blackcat54 wrote:Looks like the chain is guided through two (steel or plastic?) tubes under the seat area.
"Plastic".....They virtually just "float" with the chain. They work really well...simple idea for chain alignment and protection, and basically never wear out..... 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow! I just saw the price online. Costly. Do they ride like "butter?" I watched a YouTube Happy Women riding hers. Tempting. But for the money, I don't know. I would try one if one were around.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Hi Skuuter,

My wife and I have been riding recumbents for about 10 years now. Two years ago, we bought a couple of Catrikes. With their 20" rear wheel they can climb a wall so they are great for our hillier rides. Plus, when you come to a stop you don't have to unclip! Only downside--I have to be careful not to fall asleep while riding them on our longer rides.

Enjoy you KMX Karts!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ can we see? :D Got any pics of yer catrikes?
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

GeezyRider wrote:Hi Skuuter,

My wife and I have been riding recumbents for about 10 years now. Two years ago, we bought a couple of Catrikes. With their 20" rear wheel they can climb a wall so they are great for our hillier rides. Plus, when you come to a stop you don't have to unclip! Only downside--I have to be careful not to fall asleep while riding them on our longer rides.

Enjoy you KMX Karts!
NICE....I rode a Friend's Catrike 700 2 weeks ago....30 speed, and super narrow tires...a "Hot Rod"..... ;)
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

A few Pics from Sunday's Ride......

A rare Sunny, 56 degree January day on Monteagle Mountain around Sewanee, Tennessee..... ;) ... 8)
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Great ride pics Skuuter!

May I suggest some sort of foot retention system for your pedals? Two reasons. First, pedaling will become much more efficient. Second, and most important, safety. If your foot should slip off the pedal at speed on a tadpole trike you can experience "leg suck" with your foot/leg being pulled back under the cruciform. I have heard of people breaking their leg this way.

We use clipless pedals but that requires special shoes and pedals. A less expensive option is "Power Grip" pedals (about $40.00) which have a diagonal strap across the pedals. You turn your foot at an angle, slide it under the strap then straighten your foot and the strap holds it on the pedal. Very simple to engage and disengage but much safer.

The good thing about a trike is when you come to a stop you don't have to disengage a pedal to put a foot down to keep from toppling over.
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

I have 3 recumbents:
- Easy Racers Gold Rush long wheelbase bike

- WizWheelz tadpole trike (2 front wheels, 1 rear wheel)

- Easy Racers Titanium Javelin 30-speed long wheelbase bike (my latest purchase) seen here:

http://johnnysstuffblog.blogspot.com/se ... -results=1

The trike is a lot of fun to ride, but you have to pick your routes carefully, as it takes up more room on the road. It can be scary on downhills
above 30 mph. You DEFINITELY need some type of retention for your feet. I use Speedplay Light Action clipless pedals.

The Titanium Javelin is the best and fastest recumbent I've ever owned. It has a base weight of about 22 pounds....very light for a recumbent.
It is even faster than the Carbon Aero high racer recumbents that I previously owned, and its full fairing adds about 15% higher speeds and
provides excellent weather protection. You can view the Carbon Aeros on the web site listed above,too. One of them had a frame failure one day
just after a series of rolling hills where I had been running 40+ mph on the downhill portions !! Luckily, I was only going about 5 mph when the
rear stays came unglued.....

Johnny
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

I owned a Bicycle Shop for about 10 years in the 80s, early 90s and raced Bicycles for a while. I used clipless pedals and shoes to "lock in"....my Wife is totally new to any kind of Bicycle Recreation, so keeping it "simple" at first.....Cleated Pedals/Shoes are being discussed though..... ;) :D