New Owner of a 2015 PCX 150 White

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Alock
Year: 2015
Color: White

New Owner of a 2015 PCX 150 White

Post by Alock »

Hi All: Just signed-up to the forum. Long time scooter guy. I visit my mothers home in Florida like 4-5 times a year. I purchased a new 2013 Kymco Super 8 150 2+ years ago. Great scooter for the money, but I have to drain the carb every time I leave to go home. Came down two days ago on Tuesday & I had to pull the carb out & clean the jets as she wouldn't start for more then 45 seconds, then stop. Took me like an hour+ to clean the jets & re-install the carb. She started right-up after that. I decided that day I'm done with carburetors. I wanted FI.

Looked @ the Yamaha SMAX & absolutely loved the specs, hated the seat & downward floorboard. I'm 6' 220 lbs. & that scoot was way to small for me. Enter the Honda PCX 150. It was obviously a leftover. Really wanted Red, but that was for the new 2016 model. It's White & it's growing on me already. The Honda dealer is 5 miles away (good thing) They gave me $500.00 off retail price ($2949.00) then of course I get whacked with Destination fee @ $320.00, $210.00 Dealer Prep (what a joke), $190.00 plate fee (another joke) & $70.00 for transfer registration of my current plate. Not happy with the fees but what are you going to do. They did give me $1350.00 for my Kymco Super 8 which was pretty good overall. I decided on the 35L Honda Top Case, mount & the one key cylinder. Parts will be in Tuesday & installed on Wednesday (the day before I leave)

The PCX is light years ahead of the Kymco. Love everything about it. Smooth throttle response, great brakes (even for a rear drum), solid suspension, outstanding LED lights, fit & finish is beyond reproach! One thing that I found strange is just how skinny the front & rear tires are. They look so out of place. I think next time I'm down I'm going to switch out to some Michelin City Grips with the dealer. The stock tires seem to be some no-name (IRC?) nylon tire. I might be wrong & they're rubber.

Really digging the PCX with less then 24 hours of ownership. I'm going to posts some pics tomorrow & upload them. Once I get my Top Case, I'll take some more. Sorry for the long thread. BTW...My 2nd scooter @ my main home in Massachusetts in a 2012 Kymco GT300i. Love it.
RRocket

Re: New Owner of a 2015 PCX 150 White

Post by RRocket »

Congrats and welcome!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Well done and good lock with the PCX!

I thought all tyres were some form of rubber but that may not be the case, and all tyres to the same spec's were about the same width - again, may be wrong on that :)

Not everyone has issues with the IRC's - many people riding all year round wet or dry, hot or cold have had no issue with them and yet others have come off within weeks in summer - perhaps people have not run the new tyres in properly. Some find the stock IRC rear tyre doesn't last long and is worn down after 4000 miles or so - I've done over 5000 and see no real wear to be concerned with.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Crockett say "You made a wise choice my man going with the white ride in Florida - that's how I stay so cool myself" :D

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Alock,

I'm in the same boat as you...same size, and same feeling about carbs (not the ones you eat - love those).

My height is the same and I might have five pounds on you, but the PCX just fit...Yammie Smacks? Not so much. Had mine six days and loving every minute of it.

Enjoy that easy start, and I'd love to hear you thoughts and pics on the Honda case.

Welcome,

Mike
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Welcome to the family...

I'm assuming you werent' using something like Stabil during the times when the scoot was dormant?

Just the same, the difference between a carbeurated scoot and an EFI scoot is night and day.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Like RRocket said ... congrats and welcome
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Alock wrote: One thing that I found strange is just how skinny the front & rear tires are. They look so out of place. I think next time I'm down I'm going to switch out to some Michelin City Grips with the dealer. The stock tires seem to be some no-name (IRC?) nylon tire. I might be wrong & they're rubber.
WELCOME! I'm with you on this, here is what the biggest Michelin's that the PCX will take on the rear look like, some slight mods to get the rear in and the front needs no preparation with these sizes... You will lose 4mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Rh1nmcdAo
Attachments
rear.JPG
rear.JPG (207.69 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Alock

Post by Alock »

Thanks All for the welcome. Been reading some posts & people here seem really nice.

Iceman: I did some further digging on the supplied IRC Tires. They are in fact rubber & not nylon. I never cared for nylon tires as they simply don't track as well, but the upside is they last forever. I always liked Michelin City Grips. I have a pair on my Kymco GT300i @ home. I guess I'll keep the stock tires for a little while.

Gator Greg: You're a riot! White is growing on me. It's is "the" color down in Florida. Looks pretty sharp with the black plastics. White saved me $500.00 as well which helped. I was in my late teens early 20's when Miami Vice was @ it's peek. All of us guys wear those cotton jackets with the sleeves rolled up!

Wingscribe: You & I entered the PCX world very close to each other. I only have 109 miles on her right now. Carburetors are fine if you use your scoot everyday or @ least once a week. That's not the case for me as I come down every 3 months. I was simply tired of dealing with it every time I came down to visit my mother.

Honkerman: I stopped using Stabil (alcohol based) years ago & found this insane product called K-100 If you're storing any engine (snow blower, lawn mower etc.) It's so worth it! Ethanol has no chance of water separation. I do use what they call down here in Florida as REC90. Meaning non-ethanol fuel. It's about 80 cents more a gallon, but who cares. Ethanol is no friend to small engines. FI is the standard now. Carbs are behind me.

Homie: I like our efforts. The tire size look is growing on me. I'm a "stock" guy myself. City Grips are awesome! Good luck with your mods.

Thanks all again. I'll posts some pics when my Honda 35L top case gets installed on Wednesday morning. If I wasn't in a rush buying the PCX, I wouldn't have paid the outrageous coin for the case ($275.00) I would have picked up a nice Shad 33L for $120.00 & their bracket for $50.00. The dealer didn't charge me for installation (whoopty doo)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

You're about the same size as me , see my build thread link below for a few pics of optional seats for bigger guys.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Alock

Post by Alock »

Jge64 wrote:You're about the same size as me , see my build thread link below for a few pics of optional seats for bigger guys.
JGE64: Very cool link you provided! Love your mods. Can you tell me what size are the mirrors stems? 8/10mm? I would like to score a mirror extended rise from ebay.

Thanks again.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

10,,..but before you extend, look at the Magazi mirror - built in extenders and a quality of the mittor that exceeds the others I bought....extenders also add complexity, require readjustment and look a bit "added on" .....the magazi also adjusts via hand better than any other mirror, as it adjusts at the base:
Glen
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I might add if you are 200 or so, get a set of new Shocks...big diff. I don't like the super expensive shocks on Bikerzbitz with the reservoir, To me, they look out of place on a 60 mph Max scooter. But bikers has the z series YSS shocks for about $ 125 that work great for my 235 lbs,much nicer ride esp over speed bumps. This is one of my best bang for the buck mods I made:

https://bikerzbits.com/yss-z-series-sho ... 5-150.html
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Alock and welcome to our forum(s)
So, you're a Snowbird :D Cool! You get the chance to escape the cold weather we have up North! Ya gotta Love yer Mama, right?
Thought I'd give you a peep at what those Magazzi mirrors look like on my scoot. OH LOOK! Glen just posted his too :D more the merrier and shown on White scoots, just the way WE like it!
Cheers and Stay Hydrated! (please)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (212.4 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.07 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alock

Post by Alock »

Jge64 wrote:10,,..but before you extend, look at the Magazi mirror - built in extenders and a quality of the mittor that exceeds the others I bought....extenders also add complexity, require readjustment and look a bit "added on" .....the magazi also adjusts via hand better than any other mirror, as it adjusts at the base:
Glen: Again...Thanks so much for your insight. I went to the Magazi website & I cannot find those mirrors with the extenders. Here's the Magazi website:

http://www.magazi-moto.com/main.php?fid ... arent_id=2

Sorry to be a PITA. Anyway I can score a link?

Alex
Alock

Post by Alock »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hi Alock and welcome to our forum(s)
So, you're a Snowbird :D Cool! You get the chance to escape the cold weather we have up North! Ya gotta Love yer Mama, right?
Thought I'd give you a peep at what those Magazzi mirrors look like on my scoot. OH LOOK! Glen just posted his too :D more the merrier and shown on White scoots, just the way WE like it!
Cheers and Stay Hydrated! (please)
WhiteNoise: No I'm not a snowbird yet! I'm 50 so I guess I have a little while to wait (not much) My wife & I purchased my parents home in Palm City after my fathers passing two years ago. My mother lives here 24/7 & keeps things tidy. I come down like 4 times a year. So....my new PCX will get's about appx. 300+ miles with every visit. Would have kept the Kymco, but didn't want to deal with the carb anymore. My 35L top case will be installed on Wednesday. I'll post some pics then.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Got Them from ebay
Glen
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Amazon has an assortment of these in different colors. Here are the black ones - http://www.amazon.com/Magazi-mirrors-mo ... le+mirrors

Amazon also shows this note about the mirrors:
NOTE : Because of the small dimensions of the mirror glass, this product must only be fitted for racing or show purposes.

Up to you :-)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

BobS wrote:NOTE : Because of the small dimensions of the mirror glass, this product must only be fitted for racing or show purposes.

It will take about 15 minutes and you will adjust to them. There is more rear view visibility with those little mirrors than with the normal size ones on my sport bike and a lot less vibration.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

homie wrote:
BobS wrote:NOTE : Because of the small dimensions of the mirror glass, this product must only be fitted for racing or show purposes.

It will take about 15 minutes and you will adjust to them. There is more rear view visibility with those little mirrors than with the normal size ones on my sport bike and a lot less vibration.

Agree 100%......of the 4 sets i mounted that were bigger, these have a better view of the area i need.....10 feet off your off center rear. These are plastic, would love to see thrm in black CNC aluminum.
Glen