Front fork

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Cavallo

Front fork

Post by Cavallo »

Hello, does anyone knows how to open the front fork suspension to change oil? It looks different from others? Thanks
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Front fork

Post by Oyabun »

A very simple search for "Forza fork oil" got me to this topic: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4830
Where glencoeman describes in his post the following about the forza front fork:
"I would suggest that you buy a service manual for your Forza - available on the internet from the USA. The hex hole screw at the bottom of the fork leg should not be removed unless you are going to totally dismantle the internals of each fork leg as it can be very difficult to put the hex screws back in tight.
You have to remove the front wheel and mudguard, disconnect the brake lines from the fork leg bottom. Then remove the top bolt at the top of the fork leg, then slacken off the bolt directly below it. Remove the fork leg and put it into a vice. At the top of the fork leg is a plastic cap which you remove. Then, with an extra pair of hands if you are not used to the process, you have to physically push down the centre of the fork leg (which is basically a large round spacer) where you will see a circlip ring which must be removed.
After removal, the fork spring can be removed and the old fork oil emptied onto a container. Refill with 204cc (+ or - 2.5cc) of 10w fork oil in each fork leg. You can check the correct oil level by removing the spring and pushing the tube into the bottom of the fork leg.
Measure the oil level from the top of the tube to the oil level and it should be 78mm (3.1 inches).
To rebuild, reverse the process."

Addition please find a picture from the forza parts manual to see the items involved:
- itm. 13 plastic cap to remove first
- 14 spacer to be pushed down
- 15 circlip to be removed
forza front fork.gif
forza front fork.gif (46.47 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Hope it helps.

p.s. The whole thing took me net 45 seconds. I suggest to use the search function next time - many issues had been discussed before on this board.
Mario
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Mario »

Great info, just what I needed :)

Any idea how much torque the 4 bold's on the yoke needs to remount the forks?
May the Forza be with you!!
Cavallo

Post by Cavallo »

How come the spacer comes out by pressing it? Do i need to press only the spacer or by pressing the inner pipe? Thanks
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

The assembly is held together by the force of the main spring pushing the spacer to the circlip, what is herefore locked into a groove inside the tube. By pushing down the spacer inside the tube (without pushing the tube itself) one essentially releases the tension on the circlip, which can be removed and the whole assembly can be freed up. It is a lot difficult to describe than actually doing.

Here is a link to a video, where Vlad (a.k.a. PCXdemon) shows how to change the front spring on the PCX. The Forza fork is slightly different, but the removal and reassembly procedure is essentially the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UtGWZGX1jk
It is however helps a lot to have somebody around to remove the circlip and place it back on reassembly if you're not used to do it.
And for the love of god, please find a more suitable tool than a knife to remove the circlip. It just don't seem to be safe on the video.

Mario,
I was looking for the fora torque values, with no luck so far. I'll check the PCX service manual as I believe the values should be the same.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

The PCX service manual asks for 49Nm on the bottom bracket pinch bolts.
The forza can be different, but for the time being I think it would be safe to use the above value.
Cavallo

Post by Cavallo »

Well thats easy. Just a bit of extra strength to push it down
Cavallo

Post by Cavallo »

Mario wrote:Great info, just what I needed :)

69 Newton meters
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

Got the needed info from Blackbeard1718, thanks BB :)

But I share it over here also so everybody can find it.

Mario,

In your top pic of the Yoke, with the 4 Bolts facing the Camera at the top. Are those the Pinch Bolts you're looking for the Torque Specs for? If so, they are:

69 N-m or 7.0 kgf-m or 51 lbf-ft

Also, it says in the Service Manual:

Install the Fork into the Steering Stem and align the Fork pipe groove with the Bolt hole, then install the Upper Fork Pinch Bolt. Tighten the Upper/Lower Fork Pinch Bolts to the specified Torque.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

BB
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

Cavallo wrote:
Mario wrote:Great info, just what I needed :)

69 Newton meters