Wet weather gear

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

myvision
Year: 2013
Color: White

Wet weather gear

Post by myvision »

What does everyone use in the rain? And are they any good?

I have an RST tractech evoII textile jacket and trousers and tonight will be there first outing in the rain a 20 mile commute across London I will post the results of the performance of the suit when I get back tonight.
My second day commuting on the PCX (or any scooter/bike) and the heavens open oh Joy.
roger44
Year: 2015
Color: BLACK

Re: Wet weather gear

Post by roger44 »

if I was commuting I would use a good quality one piece oversuit, over my normal biking gear. and change out of it on arrival.

If Im touring I use textiles.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Hopefully it will be fine, the 'Sinaqau waterproof and breathable membrane' gets reviewed as being good in heavy showers.
myvision

Post by myvision »

It stopped before I set off from the office!!
So I arrived home bone dry!!!
I will update when it gets used in anger!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Absolutely pouring down my whole journey into work this morning - and the trusty waterproof trousers eventually let water in so got wet pants! The water-proof over jacket did it's job and my top half was fine - as was the trusty IRC's :) - never a problem with those on drenched waterlogged roads.

For what it's worth, forget the expensive motor-cycle specific waterproof's costing anywhere from £30-100, instead I would recommend going with the cheaper Ebay over-trousers and for a water-proof lightweight jacket to go over the bulky armoured bike jackets, a Port West 440 works a treat for about £11-15 - can be got in many colours inc. flourescent yellow and flourescent yellow with hi-viz piping. Can be left on or stored, easy to zip up and comes with stow-away hood and storm cuffs and two front flap pockets. i.e http://tinyurl.com/zhx368f
I usually wear a large Armr Moto Kiso touring jacket (but I have an RST jacket to which has better armour and water-proofing built in) and the L size Portwest fits over it perfectly - unlike most of the rain jackets that do not have deep enough cut under-arm openings so wont go over bulky jackets.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I have a pair of rubber rain pants and a frogg toggs jacket. The pants are pretty well impervious to water but they don't breathe at all, so I only wear them if I have to. The jacket is only water resistant and eventual lets water in if the downpour is heavy enough. I also carry a spare pair of jeans in the underseat compartment in case I do accidentally wet my pants. :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I no longer ride in the rain, but when I was younger and did ride in the rain, I was cheap. I had a motorcycle jacket kettle that had a rain liner that I could add if I knew it was going to rain or if it was raining. For my legs I bought a cheap yellow 2 piece rain suit like our parents use to dress us in. I put the pants over my jeans, taped the bottom of the legs with painters tape, and rode off to where ever I was going. No, the bottoms do not breathe, but the jacket did. For long trips it would be very hot, but for around town it worked fine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

My textile gear is waterproof and keeps me dry enough below 50mph. Above 50mph, the wind drives the rain up between my jacket and pants, and also my pants and boots.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

I always wear a textile bike jacket and trousers.

If its looking like rain, I will wear lightweight waterproof trousers and jacket over the top of the textiles. Water not got through both layers in 2 years of commuting. In fact the thin outer layer is all thats really needed.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

If it's cool here in SC (around 7 months of the year), I've got my lap blanket and a waterproof top layer.

If it's summer (the rest of the year), then it's over 80 F and I don't worry about light to moderate rain,
but most of the time it's astoundingly heavy rain or, worse yet, thunderstorms and I don't ride in that.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Although I was not wearing waterproof over-trousers yesterday when I rode through the heaviest continuous rain I've experiencced in 2yrs, the normal protective and fairly weather-proof trousers gave up after most of the 9 mile commute and then that's that, water came in around the seat area. Usually it's water running down the seat on motorcycles but scooters suffer too. Still, you can get fully water-proof overalls fairly cheaply or just place a large plastic bag tucked into your waist band and under your 'a**' - that will stop water coming in :)
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

My jacket is waterproof though it has 7 pockets and only two of them are waterproof... :( :roll: So I use IXS Nimes II on top of it. It's waterproof, windproof an makes me visible . Very visible. :) https://www.ixsusa.com/product/nimes-ii/ And it is much easier to clean it up after riding from all the dirt splashed on me by cars... Washing moto-jacket is... PITA...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
RRocket

Post by RRocket »

I highly, highly recommend the Rev It Pacific 2 H20 rain suit. High visibility, easy to put on and pack down to a little larger than a soda can. Worth every penny!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Always wear Weise X-blade trousers and an Bikers Gear Avalanche jacket.
Have a selection of gloves to suit the weather.
Mostly wear the winter ones...
Fortunately the annual rainfall here is very low so only really pisses down during travel to or from work a handful of times a year.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong