2014 Forza availability

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 2014 Forza availability

Post by Taz »

Ive got one uphill stretch on my commute that if Im stopped at the lights there, grannies in VW beatles can burn me off and at WOT (wide open throttle) Im barely able to reach the 45mph speed limit on that hill. And if I go on club touring on a weekend its tiring spending most of the day at WOT. Apart from that PCX is fine, though nice to haves on a Forza will be the 12V charge socket and ABS braking! Ive only locked up a front wheel a couple of times in motorbiking/trailbiking but thats enough to make me want ABS!
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I don't know what version of the PCX is being sold in Australia, the 125 or the 150. But I have read that there is a very noticeable difference in both top speed and off-the-line acceleration. If, on my PCX 150, I find myself at the front of the pack of cars at a red light, regardless of hill or not, I twist my right hand grip throttle and all cars disappear instantly behind me in my rear view mirrors when the light turns green. I live in the Seattle area, second only to San Francisco in steepness of hills. I have absolutely no problems outrunning any car up a hill where I live. Just sayin'---. On a steep city street in my city there is very likely no vehicle that could do any better than my PCX getting up to 35mph. After that, maybe some cars start catching up but I don't care. I'm using far less fuel here on the city hills. Also the sticker price of my PCX was so very much less than a Forza or Forza type Kymco.
But, If I were ever to be tempted by a more expensive motorcycle of any type if I had the money, in my dream world I would add a cruiser-type Harley to my rides. But I would keep my PCX.
Of course you know this is fantasy. I chose the PCX 150 because I thought it was the best automatic transmission cycle for the money I have available as a cash purchase.
I do not borrow money for cars or motorcycles. I pay cash.
I have one child in University, and another starting next year, and I have to pay for their tuition. The cash for the PCX 150 is all I could find.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Taz wrote:Ive got one uphill stretch on my commute that if Im stopped at the lights there, grannies in VW beatles can burn me off and at WOT (wide open throttle) Im barely able to reach the 45mph speed limit on that hill. And if I go on club touring on a weekend its tiring spending most of the day at WOT. Apart from that PCX is fine, though nice to haves on a Forza will be the 12V charge socket and ABS braking! Ive only locked up a front wheel a couple of times in motorbiking/trailbiking but thats enough to make me want ABS!
Shame youre not in to a modding...Pcx can be transformed in to a beast for around $1000 and keep you smiling for a quite a while...Still though Forza will be nice step up from 125..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:Pcx can be transformed in to a beast for around $1000
Some points:

1. Depends where you live what the costs are
2. The quality of the performance parts is not to the same standard as genuine Honda parts
3. Where I live, adding performance parts gives you a PCX with a resale value that's less than a standard one and costs more to insure

And finally, with a bigger scooter, like the Forza, Downtown, Joymax, Xmax etc you don't just get better performance, you get a bigger more spacious more comfortable body with much better luggage space and potentially ABS too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

bigger scooter = bigger weight! o_O

now if you could swap a Forza motor into the PCX that could be interesting... 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

dasshreddar wrote:bigger scooter = bigger weight! o_O
Lets look at that in some more detail.

Honda PCX150 claimed power is 13.5bhp torque is 14nm and weighs circa 126kg
Honda Forza300 claimed power is 24bhp torque is 25.7nm and weighs circa 192kg

Adding in a rider at say 80kg...

PCX150: Power 206/13.5 = 15.25kg/bhp Torque 206/14 = 14.7kg/nm
Forza300: Power 272/24 = 11.3kg/bhp Torque 272/25.7 = 10.58kg/nm

Then add a pillion at say 70kg

PCX150: Power 276/13.5 = 20.4 kg/bhp Torque 276/14 = 19.7kg/nm
Forza300: Power 342/24 = 14.25kg/bhp Torque 342/25.7 = 13.3kg/nm

Looking at these numbers the clear winner is the Forza.
The Forza has to shift fewer kilos per horsepower (or newton metre) even when the PCX is solo and the Forza is two up.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

To correct my earlier post, it was the Maxsym 400i that the dealer removed the seat hump/backrest for me and became nice for a tall rider. Not sure that the Downtown's hump is as easy to remove/modify. I hope the Forza's is. I havent found any threads or pics of Forza's, even older models with modified seats or the hump removed. Im 6'3.5" by the way. An ideal could be to take off the hump, make it much thinner, then reinstall it. Or it maybe comfy like the Maxsym, without any hump. Anyway enough humping for today!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Sorry gn2, but I believe more along the lines of "adding lightness"
you can thank your english buddy Colin Chapman for that :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:Sorry gn2, but I believe more along the lines of "adding lightness"
you can thank your english buddy Colin Chapman for that :lol:

What a hero. And Cooper and Issigomis.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

dasshreddar wrote:Sorry gn2, but I believe more along the lines of "adding lightness"
You better lay off the pies then! :lol:
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

more storage space = more pies! :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:more storage space = more pies! :D
Mmmmm...pies

And pasties :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:To correct my earlier post, it was the Maxsym 400i that the dealer removed the seat hump/backrest for me and became nice for a tall rider. Not sure that the Downtown's hump is as easy to remove/modify. I hope the Forza's is. I havent found any threads or pics of Forza's, even older models with modified seats or the hump removed. Im 6'3.5" by the way. An ideal could be to take off the hump, make it much thinner, then reinstall it. Or it maybe comfy like the Maxsym, without any hump. Anyway enough humping for today!

Shortarse :D
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
dasshreddar wrote:bigger scooter = bigger weight! o_O
Lets look at that in some more detail.

Honda PCX150 claimed power is 13.5bhp torque is 14nm and weighs circa 126kg
Honda Forza300 claimed power is 24bhp torque is 25.7nm and weighs circa 192kg

Adding in a rider at say 80kg...

PCX150: Power 206/13.5 = 15.25kg/bhp Torque 206/14 = 14.7kg/nm
Forza300: Power 272/24 = 11.3kg/bhp Torque 272/25.7 = 10.58kg/nm

Then add a pillion at say 70kg

PCX150: Power 276/13.5 = 20.4 kg/bhp Torque 276/14 = 19.7kg/nm
Forza300: Power 342/24 = 14.25kg/bhp Torque 342/25.7 = 13.3kg/nm

Looking at these numbers the clear winner is the Forza.
The Forza has to shift fewer kilos per horsepower (or newton metre) even when the PCX is solo and the Forza is two up.
Fair enough...to add to the mix and after bit of research and studying im confident enough to say my mildly modded Pcx puts out 16hp at the wheel not like at the crank as posted above,but to add the losses id say im putting out around 18hp at the crank right now to be comparable to the above. Im going by Pcx 150 thats rated 13.5hp at the crank but wheel hp is actually only 11hp.
Now:
PCX170: Power (same weight as 150) 206/18=12.875kg/bhp 8) , torque is..well,huge :D ,i can ride this thing 2/5 throttle to achieve same acceleration as stock 125,150 its just a torque monster right now..

So as you can see for $1000 or so it can be achieved to have same power to weight of the bigger engined scooter while remaining on a small light frame for the city use,tight parking,manoeuvrability etc etc ,also i know which one would be way more fun thru the twisties...
Just saying though,each to its own but modding can have and give great rewards and pleasures,I know from personal experience.. :D
Ps how am i basing my power output? Well there is a guy in Japan thats racing his Pcx and he has done lots of things to it over last 3 years.Most of his mods are similar to my set up except he runs 150 Head on 125 crank/170cc kit with slightly more aggressive tune and he is just shy of 19hp at the wheel so id say my numbers are fairly safe.. :geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you enjoy doing modifications and get pleasure from it, then that's a good thing, but its not for everyone ;)
The cost may be $1000 where you are, but would be significantly more here.
That's even before reliability issues are taken into consideration...