Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

Post by khaosaming »

The PCX 125 was first introduced in 2009 in Thailand. It had been available for three consecutive years there until the 150 hit the market. The United States is only a sideshow as it is. You're lucky to get what you get -- when you get. Still no SH300 on your shores.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Yep, ALWAYS New Scooters on the Drawing Boards, and even already out on the roads in "Stealth Mode" being tested. We probably got a "spy sighting" of a possible "Silver Wing Replacement Prototype" here last year on Our Twisties. It had the "700 Laydown Engine" Honda just released in some of it's New Motorcycles (CTX700N), but with a CVT Auto Trans, 14" Wheels, semi-step through Tunnel, PCX-ish Body Work, and in Flat Black....might be Honda's New "Combat the New 700 Kymco Scooter" Weapon one day, Ya' never know...Honda is offering some really nice Dealer/Customer incentives now on the "Long in Tooth" Silver Wing..... ;)

If Someone rides something and really likes it, might as well buy it. "Wonder What They're Coming Out With Next" scenario isn't a very good Plan for acquiring a Great Scooter now, because They WILL introduce some Other Great Rides after Your purchase....Enjoy Your Ride(s)..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

khaosaming wrote:The PCX 125 was first introduced in 2009 in Thailand. It had been available for three consecutive years there until the 150 hit the market. The United States is only a sideshow as it is. You're lucky to get what you get -- when you get. Still no SH300 on your shores.
Not exactly a "sideshow", just a totally different market...Americans tend to buy much Larger Motorcycles and Scooters....It's a Vast Land with lots of square miles to cover, and most Americans are highly mobile. Smaller/Slower Machines tend to not get You where You want to go quickly enough in most cases. There is also a lot more Traffic here to contend with that is also in/on Larger, Faster Vehicles. The ability (More cc, More Horsepower) to accelerate quickly becomes a valid safety factor lots of times.....!!!!!... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Well there's that and there's also that you're a bunch of fat bastards who look daft on normal sized bikes :lol:

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

gn2 wrote:Well there's that and there's also that you're a bunch of fat bastards who look daft on normal sized bikes :lol:

Hmmm.....just "Hmmm"....................
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

My OP has been taken the wrong way, the main point is that a lot of riders here never got to experience the 2011 model, which is a great bike in its own right.
I know there will always be new models coming out & we get what we get & some brands care about American buyers more than others.
The SH300 will never come here because we couldn't afford the 150i model. I personally don't think any of the top 3 care about scooters here & if they sell or not? Except for our local Honda dealer, every other power sports dealer, that I've visited,has minimal knowledge & couldn't give a crap about scooters. Its all about crotch rockets.I looked at a Yamaha Majesty a few years a go & I had to show the salesman where it was & I told him about it.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ I agree, some salesman don't know what's new/coming to their dealership until you call or walk in & bring it to their attention. Been there, done that while waiting for the 125 to enter showrooms. Amazing. :roll: Then, after all the research You've done....You get to Show&Tell them what You know about the bike! What? I'm sure this happens at a lot of vehicle dealerships, (most) salesman aren't as knowledgeable as they were (many) years back (my opinion, anyway). Sad. What about brochures? Always out of them and told to "go online." OK, off the rant.
If I were given the choice between the 125 & 150 back when I took delivery, I would still have chosen the 125. Why, because it's White and white is Not an option on the 150 here in the states. I'd certainly like the extra boost of the 150 though. Mama said...."ya can't have everything." I say.....watch me :D
Well, almost August....Forza on the way (?) Let's hear what they know/say this time round ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

skuuter wrote:
khaosaming wrote:The PCX 125 was first introduced in 2009 in Thailand. It had been available for three consecutive years there until the 150 hit the market. The United States is only a sideshow as it is. You're lucky to get what you get -- when you get. Still no SH300 on your shores.
Not exactly a "sideshow", just a totally different market...Americans tend to buy much Larger Motorcycles and Scooters....It's a Vast Land with lots of square miles to cover, and most Americans are highly mobile. Smaller/Slower Machines tend to not get You where You want to go quickly enough in most cases. There is also a lot more Traffic here to contend with that is also in/on Larger, Faster Vehicles. The ability (More cc, More Horsepower) to accelerate quickly becomes a valid safety factor lots of times.....!!!!!... 8)
So how does HD fit into this theory?
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

strkngfang wrote:My OP has been taken the wrong way, the main point is that a lot of riders here never got to experience the 2011 model, which is a great bike in its own right.
I know there will always be new models coming out & we get what we get & some brands care about American buyers more than others.
The SH300 will never come here because we couldn't afford the 150i model. I personally don't think any of the top 3 care about scooters here & if they sell or not? Except for our local Honda dealer, every other power sports dealer, that I've visited,has minimal knowledge & couldn't give a crap about scooters. Its all about crotch rockets.I looked at a Yamaha Majesty a few years a go & I had to show the salesman where it was & I told him about it.

Yep, the PCX125 was/is a Great Scooter...I put over 10,000 miles on mine, and my Wife logged over 7,000 on Hers before we opted for PCX150s...We also have a pair of FORZA 300s ordered too. My Honda Dealer sells quite a few Scooters every year, and They're very knowledgeable about Them. I lead Scooter Rides for Them quite often...!!!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

you you wrote:
skuuter wrote:
So how does HD fit into this theory?
Harleys are not slow by any means...I've owned and ridden several. They even handle waaaay better than the "Harley Jokesters" give Them credit for. The last V-Rod I rode through The Dragon, I had to pass several Sport Bikes that were holding me up...Most Folks that joke about Harleys, have never owned one or spent a lot of time on one...no longer my Favorite Bikes, but I've managed to go fast on (if needed) and enjoy any Motorcycle or Scooter I've ever owned over the years (exceptions being a 69 Sportster, and a Gold Wing 1200)..... 8)
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

My favourite Harley is the Sportster. The 883 is actually one of the cheapest big bikes in Finland. I know it's considered 'entry level' and a woman's bike. I would love to have one, though.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

skuuter wrote:
Harleys are not slow by any means...I've owned and ridden several. They even handle waaaay better than the "Harley Jokesters" give Them credit for. The last V-Rod I rode through The Dragon, I had to pass several Sport Bikes that were holding me up...Most Folks that joke about Harleys, have never owned one or spent a lot of time on one...no longer my Favorite Bikes, but I've managed to go fast on (if needed) and enjoy any Motorcycle or Scooter I've ever owned over the years (exceptions being a 69 Sportster, and a Gold Wing 1200)..... 8)

True, never had a Harley but I've overtaken 100s
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

skuuter wrote:Most Folks that joke about Harleys, have never owned one or spent a lot of time on one...
That's the problem with a lot of people who ride Harleys too -- if they spent half as much time riding as they did polishing chrome and adding leather tassles, they'd be far more proficient motorcyclists. You're an obvious exception, since you ride a LOT. I don't hate on Harleys, I hate on the culture that goes with them -- 'Merica, FREEDOM, and the whole "FUCK YOU I DO WHAT I WANT IM ON A HARLEY LOOK AT ME" mentality. I can't stand the stupid-loud straight pipes either, it's rude and hurts my ears. I've met plenty of Harley riders I liked, and ridden with many as well, but for every good Harley rider out there, there's 10 twats with assless chaps giving me the finger and telling me to "get a real bike, pipsqueak."

Anyways, back on topic -- I don't feel sorry for the PCX 125 at all, nor do I feel I NEED to upgrade to a 150. It's an agile, miniature errand runner/commuter, but is capable of doing a lot more if you ride it at hard. I wouldn't ever try highway touring on the PCX like I do with my larger bikes, which is why I'll always have the PCX and a bigger bike. The 2012+ PCX 150 is the same at the 2011 Honda PCX 125, just with more displacement. They're the same scooter, and both great bikes. :)

I doubt Honda knew they were going to switch the PCX to 150ccs when they started exporting to the USA. It's likely a marketing or engineering decision that was made after the fact, most likely driven by the development of the new eSP engine that the 150 has. There are a few PCX 125 eSPs, but they're very underpowered compared to the PCX 125. Since they were so underpowered, Honda likely was compelled to bore the engine out to 150 at a slight loss of fuel economy versus the 125 eSP, to get the PCX 150 eSP we have today. The 150 does have the eSP engine -- we just refer to it as the 150 because there is no need to make the distinction like there is on the 125. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Great post, maddiedog.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

"That's the problem with a lot of people who ride Harleys too -- if they spent half as much time riding as they did polishing chrome and adding leather tassles, they'd be far more proficient motorcyclists. You're an obvious exception, since you ride a LOT. I don't hate on Harleys, I hate on the culture that goes with them -- 'Merica, FREEDOM, and the whole "FUCK YOU I DO WHAT I WANT IM ON A HARLEY LOOK AT ME" mentality. I can't stand the stupid-loud straight pipes either, it's rude and hurts my ears. I've met plenty of Harley riders I liked, and ridden with many as well, but for every good Harley rider out there, there's 10 twats with assless chaps giving me the finger and telling me to "get a real bike, pipsqueak."

Exactly....
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

gn2 wrote:
cessna151 wrote:The forza, on the other hand, seems a bit too much and the MPG isn't that great
Au contraire, the Forza has class leading economy.
My typical use of the PCX gives 90mpg.
The Forza will probably do 80-85mpg in the real world, initial indications are that it will easily achieve 80mpg even when used on high speed roads.
So not much in it.
Factor in the 8000 mile service interval and in the economy stakes the Forza looks to be the absolute dogs doo-dahs.
My statement was based on the forza EPA rating of 68MPG. The pcx150 is EPA rated at 102 but i only get 80 on the highway. I can only assume a similar effect on the forza.
gn2 wrote:Well there's that and there's also that you're a bunch of fat bastards who look daft on normal sized bikes :lol:

LOL! I have seen something similar in person on several occasions. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Thing is, the PCX was not designed or optimised for highway use, the Forza is.
Initial indications are that the Forza does achieve 80mpg during highway use. (68mpg US)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

maddiedog wrote:
skuuter wrote:Most Folks that joke about Harleys, have never owned one or spent a lot of time on one...
That's the problem with a lot of people who ride Harleys too -- if they spent half as much time riding as they did polishing chrome and adding leather tassles, they'd be far more proficient motorcyclists. You're an obvious exception, since you ride a LOT. I don't hate on Harleys, I hate on the culture that goes with them -- 'Merica, FREEDOM, and the whole "FUCK YOU I DO WHAT I WANT IM ON A HARLEY LOOK AT ME" mentality. I can't stand the stupid-loud straight pipes either, it's rude and hurts my ears. I've met plenty of Harley riders I liked, and ridden with many as well, but for every good Harley rider out there, there's 10 twats with assless chaps giving me the finger and telling me to "get a real bike, pipsqueak."

Anyways, back on topic -- I don't feel sorry for the PCX 125 at all, nor do I feel I NEED to upgrade to a 150. It's an agile, miniature errand runner/commuter, but is capable of doing a lot more if you ride it at hard. I wouldn't ever try highway touring on the PCX like I do with my larger bikes, which is why I'll always have the PCX and a bigger bike. The 2012+ PCX 150 is the same at the 2011 Honda PCX 125, just with more displacement. They're the same scooter, and both great bikes. :)

I doubt Honda knew they were going to switch the PCX to 150ccs when they started exporting to the USA. It's likely a marketing or engineering decision that was made after the fact, most likely driven by the development of the new eSP engine that the 150 has. There are a few PCX 125 eSPs, but they're very underpowered compared to the PCX 125. Since they were so underpowered, Honda likely was compelled to bore the engine out to 150 at a slight loss of fuel economy versus the 125 eSP, to get the PCX 150 eSP we have today. The 150 does have the eSP engine -- we just refer to it as the 150 because there is no need to make the distinction like there is on the 125. ;)
GREAT Post Maddie.....Yeah, I hate the (cough) "Lifestyle" Harley promotes also, although, obviously Their Marketing Department is the Best in the Motorcycle Industry. Too many much better Motorcycles out there now to own a Harley though in my opinion. I do really like the V-Rod though in the handling department...it can be "flicked" rather easily, and You're to the edge of the rear tire and leaned a lot if anything touches the road....

Now, moving on, Yes I ride a lot, and have for decades. I've come to the realization that I actually have more fun now riding Scooters than Motorcycles. This wasn't the case stepping back about 15 to 20 years ago. Scooters used to be finicky, dismal handling and riding Creatures. Ok for a trip up the road for a Convenience Store snack, very short work commute, but totally useless for most anything else. Times have changed, a lot. Scooters handle, brake, and ride much closer to Their "low price range cousins" in the Motorcycle World. I lead Motorcycle/Trike Rides here now, quite often with my PCX150 with no problems, because 90% of the Route will be in the Mountains, or super twisty Back Roads. It's more than up to the task. In my opinion, the biggest plus the PCX150 has over the PCX125 is it's ability to maintain speed on long climbs and mountains. My PCX125 would hit a mountain grade at 60 MPH, then crest at the top in the 40-45 MPH range having ridden the whole time with a pegged throttle. The PCX150 will still be in the 55-60 MPH range, and even after throttling off and on through corners per "motorcycle technique".

Gas mileage of the Scooters on the market now is almost amazing compared to older "Classic Scooters". In the past, I've had 750+ cc Motorcycles that would get better mileage than 250cc Scooters. I go on the "Hill on Wheels" Scooter Ride out of Chattanooga, Tennessee from Scenic City Scooters sometimes. It's amazing how often Old Classic Vespas, Lambrettas, etc. have to stop for gas on the Ride. Last time I went, I rode my PCX125....the Classic Riders were amazed that I never needed a gas stop...!!!!!...Yep, Scooters have came a Loooooong way in the last decade.

"Most" Folks will be served just as well with Their PCX125 if They already own one, than to lose the $$$ required to trade on a PCX150. If You travel a lot, especially several hundred mile weekend Trips, or ride with Friends with Motorcycles, the PCX150 might be worth the initial Trade....both the PCX125 and 150 are GREAT Scooters....looking forward to my Forza 300s arriving now. The PCX150s will still be kept and ridden though..... ;) 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

A Vespa PX125 has similar economy to a PCX, and a bigger tank.

Many old scooters have very poor economy because their owners have "improved" them...
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

gn2 wrote:A Vespa PX125 has similar economy to a PCX...
-----------
It's not in the same league by a long shot. I have a PX 200. It's very thirsty. Six litres per 100 km is not unheard of. The 125 is not much better at economy.