the motorcyclist Wave

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Re: the motorcyclist Wave

Post by socoguy78 »

Bash On! wrote:Don't let the image sway you to buy or not buy a Harley (or any bike). Buy it because you like the bike itself, or not buy it if you don't. Buying for image is why so many Harleys end up being garage queens and being sold after a few years with low mileage. Actually the Harley image is a turn-off for me: bunch of "individualists" that dress alike and pose alike (with many exceptions, of course). All faintly ridiculous in a Village People kind of way, frankly.

Ignoring the image (as mentioned above), I've had two new Harleys (one in '92 and the last in '08). Never had a bit of trouble with either. Darn reliable and loads of fun to ride. Almost didn't buy the second one, though, as Harleys are almost too common around here (almost to where a Honda is an exotic). I prefer something a little more rare, like the '71 Beemer I bought recently. On that, surprisingly, I don't get waves, I get honks and thumbs up from all sorts of riders.
If I was younger I would've bought a Harley and probably had some bad accidents... ha. But I'm more cautious now and decided for the PCX150. Harley has a new bike out for "Urban" driving called Street at 500cc and 750cc. I like it a lot, very basic and I fit the bike perfectly... But the price I feel is ridicules for the 500cc model at 6,799, maybe I would pay 5,000 for such a basic bike that gets 45mpg. This model makes me think of the old Buell Blast model which also fitted me perfectly.

The bike I almost bought before the PCX and decided to learn on the scooter is the Honda CTX700... Most used bikes on craigs list in my area are Harleys, or sports bikes.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Nobody ever accuses Harley of being inexpensive. After buying an extended warranty and some other options, my Road King Classic cost more than my car. Added to that, my wife decided on the spot that she also wanted a Harley so we got her a Sportster at the same time. It was an expensive day.

If I were buying another, I'd get one of those garage queen Harleys with low mileage. They don't keep their value like the old days, and there are good deals to be had.

[That CTX is a fine bike. If my commute were longer than 3.5 mi., I seriously consider trading the PCX for it.]
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm missing out on this argument.

Harley's are cheap and expensive and tbh rubbish

Other brands of bikes are available

North Americans have a certain issue with them and like most other things where North America leads other fools follow

Just ride your scooters. If you want a harley buy one. They aren't better than you they have just spent another thousand dollars buying a sportster rather than a scooter

Don't fawn to them FFS
JCVA
Banned User
Banned User

Post by JCVA »

Bash On! wrote:Nobody ever accuses Harley of being inexpensive. After buying an extended warranty and some other options, my Road King Classic cost more than my car. Added to that, my wife decided on the spot that she also wanted a Harley so we got her a Sportster at the same time. It was an expensive day.

If I were buying another, I'd get one of those garage queen Harleys with low mileage. They don't keep their value like the old days, and there are good deals to be had.

[That CTX is a fine bike. If my commute were longer than 3.5 mi., I seriously consider trading the PCX for it.]
I find it ironic that an extended warranty is needed for the most expensive products on the market. Conversely, I would never consider buying an extended warranty for any Honda, one of the least expensive products in any class on the market.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

[quote="JCVA][/quote]
I find it ironic that an extended warranty is needed for the most expensive products on the market. Conversely, I would never consider buying an extended warranty for any Honda, one of the least expensive products in any class on the market.[/quote]

No irony. Actually, that was the problem with the Harley extended warranty, it was never needed. Any m/c company will try to sell you one. Lord knows, I keep getting mail from Honda attempting to do so.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I wave to everyone -- sport bike riders, harley riders, kids on school buses, old people... Anyone who looks at me gets a smile and a wave. It's amazing how many people smile and wave back.

I do get a few people ignoring me, surprisingly the group that ignores me the most or rolls their eyes are the guys riding adventure style bikes -- BMW GSes, V-stroms, etc. I find that ironic considering I bought a V-strom... After that, the super sports ignore me -- GSXRs, Ducatis, etc. Usually the cheaper sport bikes (like Ninjas) wave back, they're out to have fun too rather than to look like they're cooler than me. :lol:

I have noticed that I get way more waves when the dog rides with me. Everyone loves four paws on a bike. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

maddiedog wrote:the group that ignores me the most or rolls their eyes are the guys riding adventure style bikes -- BMW GSes,
I find them least likely to wave also, maybe its the upright riding position which encourages a snobby stuck up attitude :lol:

After them its probably fat guys on sports bikes!
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

maddiedog wrote:I have noticed that I get way more waves when the dog rides with me. Everyone loves four paws on a bike. :D
How does the Dog ride with you?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

socoguy78 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:I have noticed that I get way more waves when the dog rides with me. Everyone loves four paws on a bike. :D
How does the Dog ride with you?
Like a boss!