Anyone using a Fumoto oil drain valve on 2013 PCX150?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Anyone using a Fumoto oil drain valve on 2013 PCX150?

Post by you you »

Thats a different design to mine. Yours is a bit more Austin Powers :lol:
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

WhiteNoise wrote:I've heard of those valves and I have to admit I was tempted to buy one. But inner self said beware for some reason. Leaking was one doubt, the second was perhaps at smacking a Speedbump. Ours seem to be growing in height here, so big. I dislike them, but they serve a purpose, I suppose. There are 3 of them just on one block that I dribble over (p.i.t.a.)! And more just to get out of my community.
As far as my oil rig shown above, only 2 dots of oil escaped the plastic tub. That was my fault lining things up. Easy fix.

Now I have a vacuum to try next oil change: (look 2yous ;)
@ homie...come up with something man, that spring bolt set-up is badass! oops, sorry! :x
If the speed-bumps are high enough to hit the installed valve, they've already flattened the exhaust pipe. The valve doesn't extend lower than that. Apparently the problem fitting them is the case-casting structure around the plug.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:Thats a different design to mine. Yours is a bit more Austin Powers :lol:
I know.
Mike Myer's as AP! He makes me LMAO!! So dang funny! I should ask him to autograph my extractor :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

j.d.b. wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:I've heard of those valves and I have to admit I was tempted to buy one. But inner self said beware for some reason. Leaking was one doubt, the second was perhaps at smacking a Speedbump. Ours seem to be growing in height here, so big. I dislike them, but they serve a purpose, I suppose. There are 3 of them just on one block that I dribble over (p.i.t.a.)! And more just to get out of my community.
As far as my oil rig shown above, only 2 dots of oil escaped the plastic tub. That was my fault lining things up. Easy fix.

@ homie...come up with something man, that spring bolt set-up is badass! oops, sorry! :x
If the speed-bumps are high enough to hit the installed valve, they've already flattened the exhaust pipe. The valve doesn't extend lower than that. Apparently the problem fitting them is the case-casting structure around the plug.
So, what do you do about that? Change or add a fitting? More stuff, and as others would say...more Weight :o I don't care about the additional weight, I did my racing around back in yester year (ok, every now and then...a Burst occurs 8) ...."I Don't Care, I Love It!" (racing)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Adding an adaptor to extend it down past the casting makes it hang below the exhaust pipe(too low). I'm reticent to alter that casting as it's structural(and a non-reversable mod). One of our contributors is going to try the Stahlbus product. Those appear to be a good solution to a clean fit. My problem with theirs is that the price comes close to $100 US, shipped to me. Too pricey for convenience of something I do only once a year.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Stay tuned for the stahlbus.....not sure why many don't want this to work? and have never experienced it! . The stahlbus was $60 to me shipped....a bit more than I want to pay , but when it's the right part for a hobby, price become inconsequential for me ( certainly within reason)
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

j.d.b. wrote:Adding an adaptor to extend it down past the casting makes it hang below the exhaust pipe(too low). I'm reticent to alter that casting as it's structural(and a non-reversable mod). One of our contributors is going to try the Stahlbus product. Those appear to be a good solution to a clean fit. My problem with theirs is that the price comes close to $100 US, shipped to me. Too pricey for convenience of something I do only once a year.
Drew how did you get 100? Right off the stahlbus site, the part is 54 plus 6 shipping.....
Glen
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

There's seller on line in the UK who has shipping at $41 to me(clearing $90US). I just now saw there is a factory store US location, thanks! Still not cheap, but within the realm of possibilty pending your review.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

j.d.b. wrote:

I could get over a flat out exhaust pipe but a ripped out sump plug would be something different.

Hold the valve and its adaptor under the sump and tell me you still want to fit it....
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

I hear ya Double U. My riding is pretty well-defined. All surface streets, flat, suburban and low-mileage overall. My commute is 14 miles round-trip. 900 miles would be a very big season, here for me. I'm not at all concerned I'll bottom the bike. My last bike was lower and is still going after 40 years, in three states, untouched. I suppose it's possible I could bottom it, but it's very likely I'll be somewhere other than the bike after a hit like that, and far more concerned for the parts I can't easily replace. These bikes are made every day. My O.E? Not so much(HAH!).
I'm interested in simplified maintenance. I'll look at this valve. I still think it's too expensive, but I'll look at it.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

These guys are pretty good
got one one my cummns diesel - dropping 44 litres of oil
don't know if i would spend the dough for one litre -but they are slick
https://www.nospillsystems.com/products-parts.cfm
valve $35.00 -#15-12150.01
drainer $13.00-#cd 2001
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Interesting find, Relic, thank you!
I e-mailed them as to my 2013 150. I just took some pix of the area in question around the plug. There isn't much clearance to the casting at the front of the plug. The plug, itself, extends down 10mm, so it's no further that the casting. The exhaust pipe is quite a bit lower than that as you can see. That "Spill-proof" plug comes in a "compact design" which they show, on their site as extending that same 10MM off the surface. Could work well, and at a lower cost.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Josh - here is the Stahlbus valve and I'm satisfied it's high enuf to not cause trouble, It is about 8 mm below ridge, 7 without cap, and still plenty high that the pipe and the iron skids on the crankcase are gonna hit big time first. Looking forward to your eval of the other valve:

Glen
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:Josh - here is the Stahlbus valve and I'm satisfied it's high enuf to not cause trouble, It is about 8 mm below ridge, 7 without cap, and still plenty high that the pipe and the iron skids on the crankcase are gonna hit big time first. Looking forward to your eval of the other valve:

That does llook pretty neat and tidy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Nice thread on this so far... adding the 'no spill' to my fav's but unlikely to pay 48.00 plus shipping to avoid picking up a wrench and oiling my C-stand.

Chief says... 50 bucks buys a decent wrench and a box of rags.
Attachments
juicyfruit.jpg
juicyfruit.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Looks pretty good, Glen. We'll compare notes after I do my "try me" with the Femco product.
I hear you, Homie, $50 is decent money to me(though occasionally, I've spent more on less). I'm not a fan, though, of oily messes and the convenience appeals to me, as well as not having to pay attention to how I tighten the plug. The ratchet, extension and socket I use to loosen/tighten the drain plug were more than $50 worth.
I contacted another company that makes and sells a very similar valve setup in brass, and it appears to be shorter than the Stahlbus. They're sending one of theirs out for me to try as they aren't sure their valve's hex-section will clear that front rib on the motor case. If it fits, it's just about the same money as the Stahlbus product. Seems if one wants a nice, tidy oil change set-up, that's the going rate. Now, off to an evening ride!
RRocket

Post by RRocket »

J.B.D,

Please keep us posted!
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

Yeah j.d.b.
keep us posted
the Femco product was so well thought of by Cummins Western Canada
they sold me mine
the hex-section clearing the PCX's case is the kicker
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

some follow up
one could round the hex off enough to clear
my valve on the big truck has preformed flawless over 20 changes
dosen't take much torque to install the brass plug and should never have to screw with it
not like the stock one
screwing things in and out aluminium casings are always a gamble
the Femco saves you the chance of stripping something once installed
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

One thing that was at the back of my mind when i used to fit drainers was making sure the threaded section didnt protrude into the sump sothat some of the oil didnt drain out. (or worse) Presume you have checked this?