Tail Light Assembly & Fix

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Tail Light Assembly & Fix

Post by you you »

I'll do it first thing tomorrow. Bit late dark here atm
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Snap....shots! :P I'll be checking in after me Sunday brunch. Requesting close photo of the brake light switch As it sits "before" you disengage it from it's port. Are you sure, sure you want to try this? :lol: Forum member qed to the rescue 8) thanks!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Tail Light Assembly Ebay

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Snap....shots! :P I'll be checking in after me Sunday brunch. Requesting close photo of the brake light switch As it sits "before" you disengage it from it's port. Are you sure, sure you want to try this? :lol: Forum member qed to the rescue 8) thanks!

My switch looks different

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What a pillock. Just realised its the rear brake. I'll try again
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:roll: yup....spotted that right away. (Tapping foot)...hmm, Wazz up qed? Is it still dark in your universe? :lol:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Man flu remember
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Tail Light Assembly Ebay

Post by you you »

Here you go chum.

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Tippin' my hat
Ah yes, that is the left brake lever side :) but.....your Cables are different looking :| Why?
qed, by any chance did you pull the switch out to see what's inside? If so, did it look the same as my photo?
Fellow U.S. members, do your cables look like the photo qed took ? OR similar to my cables pictured on the 1st page of this thread?
I'm posting another pic....be right back ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sorry I'm harping on this, but I am still confused as to Why this brake switch plug won't go in all the way in,.... why it looks different than qed's and If I am missing a part :roll:
Here are a few more pictures of the parts that make up this switch. The left rear brake lever has a tab on the bottom of it (not seen in photos)that presses the button seen in photo #1 when the brake is applied which then activates the switch to turn on the brake light. Am I correct with that guys/gals/Sir Dave/maddie?
Oh,....I need a beer :|
Attachments
4 down the hatch.jpg
4 down the hatch.jpg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
1. Sleeve that this  pushbutton goes inside of (shown in the right direction  when it's inserted).JPG
1. Sleeve that this pushbutton goes inside of (shown in the right direction when it's inserted).JPG (54.33 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
2. This is the rear brake light switch Cable with Only the sleeve on (no pushbutton).JPG
2. This is the rear brake light switch Cable with Only the sleeve on (no pushbutton).JPG (53.24 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
3. This is on the cable & it goes into the other end of the sleeve. Then the assembled sleeve goes into the open port you  see here.JPG
3. This is on the cable & it goes into the other end of the sleeve. Then the assembled sleeve goes into the open port you see here.JPG (40.3 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
sorry the picture of the sleeve & cable is facing opposite the others, but that was due to lighting
sorry the picture of the sleeve & cable is facing opposite the others, but that was due to lighting
4. The bottom is the cable inserted. Won't sit flush. That ribbing you see should be inside the sleeve fully. That's my thought.JPG (36.79 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

They didn't want to budge so I wasn't going to force them

The only real difference is the stop start and I can't see why that would affect the rear brake. Unless the ECM checks this too
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

WN, I'll check mine tonight and get back to ya.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh good, thanks Dave! :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Ok WN, got some good pics for ya. Looks like you will have to order a new switch assembly.

Here's the brake lever:
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG (193.65 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

Zooming in, we can see a tab. This prevents the switch from coming out in the direction it broke towards.
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG (212.67 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

I forgot to remove the boot, here's what the lever looks like with the boot off (identical to yours):
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG (187.29 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

Finally, you can see that I can push mine away from the center of the bike, freeing the tab.
IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG (205.9 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

Given the fact that the internal switch assembly has separated from the housing with the tab, you should try to FORCE it in. You have nothing to lose at this point, since if jamming it in forcefully won't work, you'll have to order another switch anyways.

It looks like installing a new switch is very straightforward -- remove the brake lever, thread the switch through (matching up the tab), then run those wires into the harness where they belong. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I should add that the part is only $7.48 here: http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/se ... parts.html

You want #14 on the Microfiche, Honda Part number 35345-KWN-701 (SWITCH ASSY., RR. STOP)

:D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thumbs up Dave! :) I appreciate all your help & the pics!
qed's photo of the switch area was not "a-look-alike" to ours. I really appreciate your help to "sausage fingers" :D
Surprising how the smallest of parts are different from across the lake ( :lol: )...okay, okay....edit: the "pond." I called my bike shop and my new switch should arrive late today or tomorrow, I ordered it when I realized this "fix" was going nowhere fast :( In the meantime I will take another close look (what! Again?) for that little lock tab piece. Sigh.
Dave, by any chance did You pull out the inner guts of your switch (the tan bit with the spring?) Was wondering if you held the black button looking piece....it has a stem on it that goes into the spring and then into a tiny pinhole under the spring (base of tan piece). Reason asking? My "stem" piece is curved (Not straight as it should be) so it Won't align to enter that tiny hole at the base :x Hope I'm making sense?
I'm thinking maybe this happened during the initial assembly.? That this button part was jammed into the springs base causing it to curve the stem (I think you can see that in one of my pics above).
Wow!!! All this crap over a stinking little plastic switch! Much rather be riding #%\f!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I attempted to get the innards out, but I think that whole thing is a sealed assembly (meaning you shouldn't have been able to pull it out in the first place! :lol: ). If I could have gotten mine open without breaking it, I would have.

My guess is the stem piece is supposed to be straight, as you said you suspect. Perhaps try bending it back? Meh, either way it doesn't matter since the part will be here tomorrow! :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Part has arrived. Will pickup today and also look at the 150 PCX (if they have one).
I'll be back :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Part has arrived. Will pickup today and also look at the 150 PCX (if they have one).
I'll be back :D
OK Arnie..
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

arnie? not ta-day, that was yesterday :lol:
Now I have it, it's different. All parts to it are fitted tightly together and NO threading is showing on the new cable switch (see Dave's photo and mine, both our cables show some threads sticking out). I'm betting there were problems with some of the mid year 2010 brake light switches so they corrected it :roll: oh well, it's a one piece tight fit cable now :)
About the install.....I do have a question, of course :D
Do I "have to" remove these bits to do the job:
1. Front grill and the 2 side weatherstrips
2. Meter Visor (windscreen)
3. and the Front Meter Panel (black one under the windscreen) <<<< really? do I Have too? :x
What other little tips do you have before I gently (with patience) Remove/Replace this $10.00 part?
Thank you for your interest, concern and help wise ones :ugeek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh yes....I had fun at the dealership today, shot the bull for an hour. Sat me bum on a traded in T-Max, and a Vino (I know, crazy power extremes). T-max to heavy for me (bad back) and Vino like a feather. Saw a red 125 PCX and discussed trading in my 125 for a 150. Spoke to bossman, he worked the numbers and gave me an "out the door" price (that includes motor vehicle registration and plate) of $2,000. Good deal? Bad deal?
About the switch I just got.... he said "don't even bother putting it in, just trade it in and we'll take the switch price off the total." The 150 was in his warehouse or whatever and he's getting it in and assembled so I can See the color (some of you said the color Red is deeper on the 2013). Am I trading mine in? Opinions? Wrong move? Hmmmm......probably :?