Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

Post by gn2 »

You're out of date.
Current model PX125 does 100mpg no bother at all.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Current model is the same as it ever was -- carburetted, two-stroke. The engine is almost 40 years old. No improvements at all (apart from a catalyzer). At full throttle any PX consumes way more fuel than the PCX. With the PX, full throttle is the only way if you want to see it move.

Even the new LX 150 3v consumes more than the PCX (I own one of those, too).
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

in japan

less than 50cc on a car license
less than 125cc is very cheap on insurance and tax compared to 125cc and up. many urban motorcycle parking facilities only allow 124cc and below
under 250cc bikes do not require the biannual inspection = less hassle to own and mod without undoing/redoing mods every two years
under 400cc bikes require about half of the classes to get a license so that license is cheaper to get.

i do not want a 150cc here in japan because it would be much more expensive to own and the 125cc is perfectly adequate for urban commuting and running about. the 150cc does not sell well here in japan, but the PCX 125 is wildly popular and you see them everywhere!
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

haildamage wrote:in japan

less than 125cc is very cheap on insurance and tax compared to 125cc and up. many urban motorcycle parking facilities only allow 124cc and below
under 250cc bikes do not require the biannual inspection = less hassle to own and mod without undoing/redoing mods every two years
under 400cc bikes require about half of the classes to get a license so that license is cheaper to get.

i do not want a 150cc here in japan because it would be much more expensive to own and the 125cc is perfectly adequate for urban commuting and running about. the 150cc does not sell well here in japan, but the PCX 125 is wildly popular and you see them everywhere!
If you get a chance, take some pictures and post them on here, that would be neat to see, a bunch of PCXs :)
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

strkngfang wrote:
haildamage wrote:in japan

If you get a chance, take some pictures and post them on here, that would be neat to see, a bunch of PCXs :)
ok, will try tomorrow. usually there are several parked near each other in the bike parking lot at my Friday gig. generally, it is more like i am at a traffic light with another PCX very often since bikes filter to the front here.

it really is noticeable how popular they are here. other guys in my motorcycle club have asked me why they are so popular because they have noticed that the PCX seems to be dominating the market based on how many they see around.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have to say that our 150 can and does go on the freeways. If 65 mph is the speed limit then people will be doing 70. The little PCX 150 can do 70 and has some juice to spare. I would not suggest that anyone on a motorcycle or scooter get on some of the freeways here in Atlanta, (I think that many drivers think the sign that says I285 means go 285 mph!!), but the little 150 is quite capable. I have seen all sorts of scooters on the freeway, which is OK as long as they can keep up with traffic. I actually have heard other scooter owners who have had the cheap Chinese 200CC scooters say that they would not go on the freeways because their scooters couldn't keep up with traffic. That says something for this little scooter that can. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

My PCX125 accelerates faster than my chinese 250 did and has about the same top speed. The chino 250 only had 13 hp in a relatively heavy maxi-scooter body.

I've ridden a PCX150 and I can definitely tell that the 150 is a bit stronger and feels "beefier"... but my PCX is more than adequate for the kind of riding that I use it for. I have the Burgman 650 for the big stuff. I find the 125 to be pretty darn peppy for being as small as it is, and it always seems to have some juice left even when I think I'ts tapped out.

I did notice that the 150 doesn't get "raspy" and "buzzy" around 45-50+ mph like the 125 does... the 150 stays calm and quiet all the way up to it's top speed. I also felt the rev limiter in the 150, I've never felt it in my 125.

I'm slowly becoming the only 125 owner in our local scooter club, but that is just fine... I have no interest in trading up to the 150 when I am more than satisfied with the 125. I'll likely ride my 125 until the end of it's useful lifespan.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Mel46 wrote:I have to say that our 150 can and does go on the freeways. If 65 mph is the speed limit then people will be doing 70. The little PCX 150 can do 70 and has some juice to spare.
Either you have a real creampuff or i've got a real turd, and i wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter. I can only go 60mph, no wind level ground, and if i tuck down till my helmet is resting on the dash i can barely hit the rev limiter at 66mph. Any headwind or slight grade will bog it down considerably.