Why are motorcycles relegated to less light than cars?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Why are motorcycles relegated to less light than cars?

Post by homie »

Is this over, was the question ever answered? Long read and I admit I didn't go over it thoroughly but was concern enough to get off tonight and have a look at what other drivers see. I don't feel there is a problem being noticed at night so this must be about OUR viability with the motorcycle head lamp... right? As long as they see me I can deal with illumination distance ahead of me the best I can at 45 mph in the city with well lite streets.

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Thanks for that Homie. The lights are more glaring due to the camera not liking bright light on the sensor, but it does show no more light is really necessary. When I pull out of the drive and turn the scoot on, I always try and turn the bike at an angle to the houses across the street (smaller dwellings and small width roads compared to the open plains and expanse of the USA) and even then lots of houses and gardens light up with the LED lighting from the scoot.
As to the brake light and running light, if cars get close it's due to them being a-holes and not caring rather than not seeing you.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:As long as they see me I can deal with illumination distance ahead of me the best I can at 45 mph in the city with well lite streets.
How is your ability to see at 50 mph on back country roads in the rain with oncoming traffic shining in your face?
The new led headlight in the PCX is cutting edge though. Probably the best motorcycle headlight ever put on the road. But none of my bikes came with LED's. But they all have HID conversions now. The ultra white color temp of LED's and HID's is a big step up in conspicuity for other drivers during the day and their increased output helps a lot at night.
Your next video should be in bright daylight to see if you still feel that no car will ever pull out in front of you. Then look at other motorcycles with their yellowish halogen bulbs to see the poor conspicuity they were stuck with.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

The camera doesn't pay justice to the bright LED on high with PCX in daylight. Whereas I might have given you the cell phone camera at night as exaggerating, the Mobius HD action cam tones it way down compared to the naked eye. Anyone with a PCX could get off and walk away and see for themselves. This is acceptable for me and I can't see it getting any better without we are irritating other drivers.

LoL... go full screen settings HD and this looks so fake

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Keep in mind the LED light in the PCX is the best motorcycle headlight on the road right now. Go look at a busy boulevard as the bikes and cars go by and see how much better the high end cars with their brght white daytime running lights stand out compared to the common motorcycles with their single halogen.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

homie wrote:The camera doesn't pay justice to the bright LED on high with PCX in daylight. Whereas I might have given you the cell phone camera at night as exaggerating, the Mobius HD action cam tones it way down compared to the naked eye. Anyone with a PCX could get off and walk away and see for themselves. This is acceptable for me and I can't see it getting any better without we are irritating other drivers.
LoL... go full screen settings HD and this looks so fake
Never appreciated they were this bright - almost think approaching traffic would get annoyed with those lights coming towards you :) Just watching you YT vid and it came up with CC's and at around '13 where you say 'far better than those old school headlamps' the CC says 'far better animals cool' :)
Wulfy
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Wulfy »

I have been out a few times in the dark since i got my new pcx last week and 3 instances ive been flashed at by oncoming cars (and a truck) to warn me they think my main beam is on when its not!!! They are really bright and have a good range both sides so im confident I can see any animals or anything lurking on the sides of the roads and still see quiet a distance ahead, switching to main beam makes almost no difference at all in fact i was gonna raise the question with the dealer if this was "the norm".

Overall great lighting and well impressed with it compared to the vision and the kymco agility ive ridden before.

Wulfy
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Wulfy wrote:switching to main beam makes almost no difference at all
Sounds like the dip beam is set too high then.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Wulfy
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Wulfy »

gn2 wrote:

Is this user adjustable or should i get them to tweak it at its first service?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Wulfy wrote: Overall great lighting and well impressed with it compared to the vision and the kymco agility ive ridden before. Wulfy
In the dark, the distance you get is mostly off reflective materials ONLY (signs, paint, animal eye's) and it's great when you can ride high beam alone on a dark night for the formerly stated. The complaint here is the lack of visibility of anything non-reflective as the PCX LED's don't give the kind of broad spectrum illumination a car does for the cycle rider and that most likely has always been the case with two wheelers. So we don't have any great visibility with non-reflective RANGE in reference to what people expect.

Multiple aspects running in this thread that are getting confusing ;)

1. How well PCX illuminates the road in front of us in all weather conditions IMO;
(A+) for luminous materials even on low beam
(F) for non-luminous materials like a person or pot hole o_O

2. How well other motorist might notice our LED's over everyone else out there;
(A) after dark
(C) in daylight

Effective range of visibility depends on what we are talking about being able to see verses what you can see from a car.
Last edited by homie on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Wulfy wrote:
gn2 wrote:

Is this user adjustable or should i get them to tweak it at its first service?
Normally user adjustable, check the user manual.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:(F) for non-luminous materials like a person or pot hole o_O
Your PCX LED headlights are leagues ahead of any other bike on the road. If you think those are an "F", what grade is less than F?
Last edited by sendler2112 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Chief says "don't be one of those people walking along the side of the road at night in dark clothing, a fast moving motorcyclist with LED equipment only isn't getting the full spectrum and range of view" The key words here from Chief were (fast moving)

We are not so fast on PCX
Attachments
mac&chief.jpg
mac&chief.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:
homie wrote:(F) for non-luminous materials like a person or pot hole o_O
Your PCX LED headlights are leagues ahead of any other bike on the road. If you think those are an "F", what grade is less than F?
IMO and I don't vouch for Chief :lol: it must be pricey to outfit big bikes with quality LED headlamps needed to meet the standard and visibility requirements, give them time.

We are seen but not really seeing at night with PCX and as a night rider I live with that and slow down to compensate.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I installed extra led front lights in my pcx as well as some red led rear lights and they have helped visibility tremendously. One night I was riding home on a street that had very sparce lighting. I realized that I was "outriding" my lights, so I turned on the extra led headlights and WOW, what a difference!
well, my wife wanted some for her bike but she thought the ones on my bike were too large....I don't think so, but its her bike . I have Kawell lights and love them, so I looked for some more Kawell lights that were a little smaller. I found them on amaxon, as usual. With some engineering I have installed them, and they look great. Here are some pictures.
IMG_20150728_221014.jpg
IMG_20150728_221014.jpg (120.47 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
IMG_20150728_221115.jpg
IMG_20150728_221115.jpg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers