Memories 1969 ?? Today

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Memories 1969 ?? Today

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, but imagine putting 3.5 gallons in your bike for 60 cents.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

easyrider wrote:
JohnL wrote:Wow, beautiful eyes :o :o :o
There's something else you're missing ??
Nope, that's married man's code. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yes, but imagine putting 3.5 gallons in your bike for 60 cents.
I remember Sunoco 260 selling for 60 cents a gallon in the later 70's. But as a kid I can still remember seeing "Gas Land" stations posting 28 cents a gallon for regular.

And American "White Gas" (Amoco Premium) contained no lead and was the preferred fuel for 2-stroke outboard engines. :lol:

Somehow I still remember this TV commercial. . .don't ask me how. . .but I think it was made in the later '60s. :roll:

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Just FYI, when I started driving back in 1964 - 65 gas wars were common. I was stationed in West Texas where there were lots of oil wells. The refineries were in East Texas, but still in Texas.

Now that I have set the stage, let me tell you about the times. The Ford Mustang had been out for one year. Big engines were in. Choose a Boss car that you like or have heard about. It was out or would be out within a year or so.
Gas prices in West Texas ranged from 17 cents to 25 cents per gallon. We didn't make a lot of money at that time, but I could fill the gas tank on my Harley Sportster for change.

Yes, those were the days. There were problems such as Vietnam, but there were good things as well, like Woodstock.

And you were five years into finally ending racial segregation.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was stationed in Montgomery, Alabama when the racial tensions were high. We were told on some days not to go into town because of the violence. In the military at that time we did not have segregation, so some of us had no idea why there was such a problem.

I grew up in a private "institution" (Boystown) which had no such thing as segregated anything...except the priests quarters were separate from the nuns quarters. We didn't know that there was a color barrier anywhere.

Imagine my shock when I ended up being stationed in Montgomery for 6 months and saw things like separate bathrooms for each race, when I went downtown with other military personnel. Someone had to explain it all to me. I guess I had a sheltered life.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) 1969 Rocked!! 8)

"Summer of 1969" - Bryan Adams
Those Were the Best Days of My Life!

What a year it was. 1969. Music at it's Best, came from the gut. We felt it. We sang it. We bought it.
33 1/3 rpm Vinyl and 8 track tapes. We've certainly come a long way. Love my vinyl

"The Guitar Man" - Bread
w/Famous guitarist's clips

Is there a forum for 1969? :roll: Probably
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

In '69 I was 21 and called the the road my own.
Jackson Browne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq25ZJwZJzU
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Was still in High School. . .still under Mom and Dad's roof. . .no drivers license. . .no money. . .no job. . .but life was great and the good times were plenty!

Still wish I kept that Raleigh Robin Hood 3-speed and McDonald's hamburgers were 15 cents. :D

Mellow Yellow was a song. . .not a fizzy drink.

On that note . . . one of the all time greats from Donovan . . .. 8)

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Wasn't Bryan Adams only 10 years old in 1969?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Old Grinner wrote:Was still in High School. . .still under Mom and Dad's roof. . .no drivers license. . .no money. . .no job. . .but life was great and the good times were plenty!

Still wish I kept that Raleigh Robin Hood 3-speed and McDonald's hamburgers were 15 cents. :D

Mellow Yellow was a song. . .not a fizzy drink.

On that note . . . one of the all time greats from Donovan . . .. 8)

1967, just out of HS, thumbed from Mass. with my Martin and backpack to see the Big Sur
Saw Donovan one night at the Hollywood Bowl. He was still doing Catch The Wind, Colours, etc......mixed with the new stuff...
Saw Baez at Polly Pavilion, Simon&Garf in W. Covina, Jefferson Airplane in the Golden Gate Park's Panhandle in 'Frisco. Judy Collins, Pat Sky, Tom Rush, Lighfoot, etc. in Mass.
Maybe best were the Eagles playing as warm-up for drunken Rod Stewart....and Ravi Shankar at Tanglewood.
Who knew my 7 months living in an apt. on Haight St. in 1967...would later become "The Summer of Love"? Just good fun for an 18yr old!
Then Uncle S. sent me a "greetings". Marched for peace....and then, shortly...in much better cadence. Went over as a 'conchy" Medic --- so, sort of a natural progression.
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

1967, just out of HS, thumbed from Mass. with my Martin and backpack to see the Big Sur
Saw Donovan one night at the Hollywood Bowl. He was still doing Catch The Wind, Colours, etc......mixed with the new stuff...
Saw Baez at Polly Pavilion, Simon&Garf in W. Covina, Jefferson Airplane in the Golden Gate Park's Panhandle in 'Frisco. Judy Collins, Pat Sky, Tom Rush, Lighfoot, etc. in Mass.
Maybe best were the Eagles playing as warm-up for drunken Rod Stewart....and Ravi Shankar at Tanglewood.
Who knew my 7 months living in an apt. on Haight St. in 1967...would later become "The Summer of Love"? Just good fun for an 18yr old!
Then Uncle S. sent me a "greetings". Marched for peace....and then, shortly...in much better cadence. Went over as a 'conchy" Medic --- so, sort of a natural progression.
Fish
Write the book. . .get Spielberg to make the movie.

All I can say is WOW!

Here is a tune (and I did buy the album) that I distinctly remember while riding in the back seat of my parents "nearly new" '68 Ford Torino GT up on Rt. 28 heading into Hyannis from West Yarmouth. Marvelous times indeed. . .but the war was something that should have never been. The rest is history. . .and history's mistakes need to be learned so as not to repeat. :geek:

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Jefferson Airplane perhaps my most favouritest band of all time, wish I could have been there.
Have to make do with videos instead.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Although this was 1970, my GF and I were on this train for over 900 miles.
Met, traveled and partied with all of them.
Later called 'Festival Express', it was known as 'The Peace Train' at that time.
They were handing out cloth 'Peace Train' stickers.
I put one on the GF's ass she couldn't get off for many days. (it took some rubbing) Ha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_Express
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

NADman wrote:Although this was 1970, my GF and I were on this train for over 900 miles.
Met, traveled and partied with all of them.
Later called 'Festival Express', it was known as 'The Peace Train' at that time.
They were handing out cloth 'Peace Train' stickers.
I put one on the GF's ass she couldn't get off for many days. (it took some rubbing) Ha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_Express

I think that is donkey cruelty. You should be ashamed :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I did see the movie. . .several times. . .the train stop at the package store was quite amusing.

It was most fortunate for you to have traveled with the Band and the Bands! :D

A real "Wow" moment in life. . .. 8)

Still have my "Cheap Thrills" album. . .a fond memory of Janice. ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:Wasn't Bryan Adams only 10 years old in 1969?
Yeah yes yup, I just looked. Bryan Born Nov 5, 1959. A mere pup.
I was referring to the song anywho (about 1969).
I'm pretty sure those Weren't the best days of His life :lol: but then..., ya never know

gn2, White Rabbit! (1967)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You