2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by Old Grinner »

My god, you are overthinking again, worried about something that wont happen for 18 months?

I popped it open with my hands...worry about something else.....
Got it! Good to know as well . . ..

As far as other stuff to worry about?

Tolls on CT Highways and failing infrastructure replacement costs. :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

OldG, Glen, bigbear, Oldie (@ GeorgeSK, are they reeling you in? 8) )

Ya'll are killin' me! Where the heck is the U.S. New Forza? HONDA, what up!...are you reading along? Dang it!

I'm starting to fancy this XMax 300 bike. You guys are Bad dangling this flavorful lollipop! A lick means trouble. Spring has sprung, dealers are stocked. I must "drive-by" - eyes on the horizon, not turning head....till I'm in the SafeZone :lol: (past the dealer).

If you were to make a list ( :D )....of the pros, the cons of this Yami-licious XMax 300 what would that read?

I can start this with a personal Con:No White for 2019 (only '18) :cry:
Thank you Glen you did respond to my asking > are there any differences between '18 and '19 besides color choice? Your Answer: No. So whats the discount If any, on leftover '18's? $200-400?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

if honda would of sold an updated forza here i might of bought one instead of the x max but then im not sure if even the updated forza has as many good points as the x max
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

if honda would of sold an updated forza here i might of bought one instead of the x max but then im not sure if even the updated forza has as many good points as the x max
Although I still have less than 100 miles on my new XMax I am quite pleased with it so far. My only concern was the the feel of the ABS brake system compared to everything else I've ridden over the years. There won't be anymore locking up the rear brake to skid sideways . . .. :lol:

I find the comfort, performance, and handling are superb and Yamaha did a nice job with the design. People do look at it . . .. :o

If Honda did offer, or even suggest that they would offer, a new Forza in the U.S. this year I would have held back and compared both scooters before making the purchase. But Honda's news articles on their website just continued with Metropolitan and PCX information. Nothing about a Forza for the U.S. :roll:

That said the only gripe I would have right off the bat with the Forza would be the location of the horn button. Honda just insists on putting the horn button and turn signal switch opposite to what most other marques have and continue to do. . . horn on the bottom, turn signal in the middle, high and low beam on top. :geek:

The new Forza reviews have been great. The adjustable windscreen and Honda quality of fit and finish are exemplary of their continuous improvement process. :D

Here's a link to the Honda scooter news as of today. It appears their last post was in November of 2018 at this time. . .. :(

https://hondanews.com/powersports/chann ... oters-home
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

big bear wrote:if honda would of sold an updated forza here i might of bought one instead of the x max but then im not sure if even the updated forza has as many good points as the x max
The bikes are so similar that it's a hard to pick one over the other. They're both great scoots and there are also others in the same segment which are equally fine machines. I'd be happy with any of them, even the older models. Scoots are just great :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If I had to pick between the current model Xmax 300 and Forza 300 I would have a hard time coming to a decision.
Think I would pay the extra grand and get a Burgman 400
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

I've never ridden the Burgman 400 but somehow suspect that it's an altogether more substantial machine, and not a lot more expensive either. Burgmans also have a great reputation. Of course, it's far heavier than the Xmax/Forza and not something that I'd personally want to live with. It's not that I couldn't live with it (most of my bikes have much heavier) it's just that there's no need any more.

The beauty of the latest 300cc scoots is their weight. It just makes day to day living with the bike more pleasurable. And yet, that light weight belies their all round ability to take you anywhere, with the added benefit of all the latest technology. Their engines give just enough power to cope with most riding conditions and they have long service intervals. Add to that the fact that they are one of the least expesive entry points to the world of two wheels and you have a sure fire winner.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Current Burgman 400 only 15kg more than 2013 Forza 300.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Someone should write a book . . . "Finding the One Perfect Motorcycle in Your Life" and then announce on TV/Radio talk shows their next publication to be released soon called "Finding the One Perfect Motor Scooter in Your Life". :lol:

Before I bought the XMax 300 I researched the Burgman 200 and 400. Also the Vespa GTS 300, Kymco X-Town 300i, Honda Forza 300, Honda CBR300R, CBR500R, Honda CTX700N DCT, Suzuki TU250X, S40 Boulevard, Kawaski Versys-X 300, and Harley Davidson Street 500 and 750 and Iron 883. Long story short I bounced around from the extremes within this range until I became more focused on what I'd want to live with for the duration of my riding years. It was a real contrast of pros and cons, availability locally, and pricing. It was going to be my "last one". Sadly the Harley Electra Glide was not going to be part of the mix. In my younger days I envisioned an "Electra Glide" in blue with a white seat to be my last one. . .it was the first one I ever sat on as a child . . . but reality rules and so it goes. :(

I settled on the XMax for price, fit, performance, ease of use, and availability. It soon impressed me with the technology, comfort, and under seat box capacity. I decided in all practicality a top box wouldn't be needed . . . at least not for me. As it is I can easily fit my new HJC SyMax III modular in there along with my Daughter's older SyMax modular with space left for more stuff. :D

That said I could have gotten a deal on a recently "used" Burgman 200 with low mileage but was concerned about the ergonomics. :roll:

The Burgman 400 was nice but at 474 lbs. not what I ultimately decided I wanted to deal with 10 years from now. I'm already dealing with my almost 500 lb. Bandit GSF1200S. Getting that up on the center stand is what it is. Also the Burg is $8,579 (including shipping) plus tax and prep. The OTD price always varies on how the deal goes of course. But I wanted to keep my OTD price under $6K if I could. :?

Now that I'm in "retirement" I find that less is more . . .. The scooters really "fill the bill" so-to-speak. However keeping the old machines is an incentive to stay physically fit, keep the connective tissue in good order, and be able to get a leg over the saddle to ride another day. ;)

Time for another coffee . . . and maybe another. It is Friday! :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Forgot to mention I also evaluated the Yamaha SMax, Kymco Like 150i, and Royal Enfield.

Having looked at such a broad range of rides I have no regrets getting the XMax. Now if the weather will only cooperate . . .. :lol:

I read an article yesterday that said the ocean levels in my area will rise by 3 feet in the next 75 years. So some of the roads I take for granted riding on now will be underwater year round then.

Help fight global warming . . . ride a scooter! :D
P1010023a.jpg
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

For the last six months I've read every test and YouTube review I can find on both bikes. And I think it comes down to the following:

I think they both look transformer-like and I'm meh on that....

I really would like to have the motorized windshield and turn signals on the mirrors, however I've read two instances on Reddit where owners of the Forza have found the windshield to rattle after a while...

Every comparison I've seen says the Yamaha is faster and handles better. Those are significant advantages for me.

If you mod a lot like me, you will appreciate having the battery higher up and on the front, it makes wiring jobs on the xmax a snap.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks to All of you! You each added helpful input. A little bit of this n that covering most if not all the bases. Your Opinions and individual Experiences matter.
The weight of any bike is important to me. After having 2 Honda Shadows and a Piaggio MP3 I know what heavy is "to me." My body says no more 450 + lbs.
If the width of any saddle pushes my thighs outward preventing a dropdown straight leg effect, that's out, no good for me. My broken lower back will never tolerate it and the ride will suck (oops!)
Being able to put both feet flat (or near to it) on the ground while stopped is also a priority now.

There are many positives written about this Xmax gents so I can see why you're courting one. Love at first sight? I'm thinking so (starry emoticon eyes).

I must go look and take a seat - this 300 XMax - is intriguing. I feel a crush coming on

Keep posting, I'll be tailgating ;)

gn2, I've been drawn to the Burgman 400 for years. Cost more than weight kept me at bay, and was always the deciding factor.
(Shhh...not news but, I'd still love me a Zero and an X-ADV - convince me Back please) with that being stated :( The CanAm Ryker looks better every day (who said that?) moi
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

my daughter bought a lithium battery for my x max my son installed it fires right up now no more not starting when its cold
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Took a ride tonight to try out the LEDs on the XMax. If you like the LED headlight on your PCX then you'd like the headlight on the XMax. Whiter and brighter. . .. :D

Long story short I also got a chance to try out the ABS brakes much to my surprise. :o

5 deer tried to cross from left to right in front of me. 2 big ones and 3 small ones. o_O o_O

I hit the brakes hard . . . real hard . . . no lock up and the XMax slowed down without a hitch and kept on course from around 45MPH to about 10 MPH in very short order. The 2 big ones made it across the road in front of me. . .the second one stumbling not being sure if it should tempt fate. . .but continued anyways. The 3 little ones stopped in a hurry. . . bumping into each other and turned around and regrouped. . .heads pointed to their parents on the other side by now. :? :? :?

Fortunately the car behind me had been keeping a good distance so I didn't get slammed.

It all happened really fast. It was the "movement" that got my attention. No time to think. Just react and let experience be my guide. I even was pressing the floorboard searching for the rear brake with my foot it happened so fast. When the brain say's "All hands on deck" I guess it means it. 8)

Went on to do about 40+ miles and averaged 76.3 MPG. :geek:

The best part?, lived to ride another day. :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Decided to take a casual ride today . . . just a few towns distance up river and then back through a less developed rural route. It was foggy on the coast but dry. Rain was forecast for later on and into tomorrow.

Well much to my surprise on the way back I noticed some moisture starting to gather on my windscreen. I had one of those "this just can't be happening" moments. As I proceeded, oncoming vehicles had their windshield wipers on and the moisture on my screen was starting to turn to droplets. From there on it was like a phantom misty rain . . . more of a nuisance than a soaking. :roll:

That said I have some updated info to report on the XMax. :geek:

Weather protection is pretty damn good indeed with stock set-up. The water droplets were mostly just going up and over the top of my helmet as I cruised along around 40 MPH plus or minus. Any droplets that formed on my helmet shield just basically dropped straight down around the gas tank lid area. The aerodynamics seem to provide a pocket of stable air. So if I tried to turn my head sideways to let the droplets clear off my helmet shield (like on a regular motorcycle at speed) they just wouldn't move. So a swipe with the glove would do every now and then.

My feet and most of my legs remained dry. Just the outter edge of my legs got a little damp. Remember it's misty. . .not a full on rain. But I can consider it a "Christening" of the new machine. :lol:

I noticed on roads with a steep crown that if I'd go wide to allow room for a bicyclist or dog walker etc. . . that sometimes it felt like the rear wheel had a bit of a mind of it's own. Sort of like the front will track to the right side of the crown and the rear wheel will catch up soon. No big deal . . . just gives the feeling of a bit of "flex" in the tracking dynamics. The grippy tires may add to the mix also.

Getting just over 80 MPG. Satisfied with that for sure. Brakes are working as advertised. ;)

Didn't push the scoot to test the Traction Control but it was nice knowing it's there. . .. More traffic lately means the possibility of a layer of oil film on the pavement . . . especially at intersections. We all know oil and water don't mix. :?

That's about it. Still giving it a thumbs up. No regrets. But still would like to see Honda sell the new Forza in the U.S.. Or, perhaps should I say more people should save the planet and ride a scooter!

That would surely signal Honda to sell the Forza in the U.S. :D

The older I get the more I think I have chimpanzee in my DNA. :lol:
100_5822a.jpg
100_5823a.jpg
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i put 30 kilometers on my x max today rained this morning but then kinda cleared up roads were damp getting close to 700 kilometers on it now
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

put another 40 kilometers on the x max up to 750 now almost time for the first oil change
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

WIN_20190502_18_55_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190502_18_55_06_Pro.jpg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
bought an oil filter for the x max its a k & n filter WP-56-0141 they dident have any yamaha filters in stock
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The XMax . . ..

Got it . . . ride it! :D

I'm still in the low "hundreds" with mine. Probably won't get to change the oil until around the 4th of July at this rate. :(

More showers forecast on and off for the next week and a half. What the hey? :roll:

But the Zuma will surely be getting some road time. It's my daily rider . . . and easier to clean. :lol:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Checking in:
4700 miles, rectifier replaced at 600, no probs since, I charge at speed at 13.8, slightly reduced due to lithium batt, startup is 13.0
I get great coverage from the front and the side with the stock windshield in the high position , and the addition of a Puig deflector at the top when I’m going long distance.

Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI