Newer member, longtime lurker, avid rider.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

allstateclub

Newer member, longtime lurker, avid rider.

Post by allstateclub »

I've been hanging around this site for a while, deciding if a PCX or 2 might be in my future. Last month I puller the trigger on a red and a black model, one for me, one for my wife. They were two of the ones advertised for $2499 in Arkansas. I drove down from Ohio on early Thursday morning and was home late Friday night with 2 shiney new PCX's.

My wife's red one is still 100% stock, mine has been updated with the Givi tall screen, a Givi 30L trunk and I removed the annoying seat hump. Last week we decided to give them a proper test ride/run in with a little jaunt around Lake Erie. The plan was to avoid the interstate routes at all cost, but we did end up going from Toledo to the Detroit area on I-75 due to time issues (her brother wanted us there AT dinnertime and "don't be late").

Joyce's (the wife) bike had the underseat storage filled and a medium sized water tight stuff sack filled to the brim and straped on the seat. I had my underseat filled as well, a larger Givi trunk (not the 30L) on the back and a dog carrier for my constant companion, Max the 7 lb. Yorkie, strapped to the seat.

In the week we were on the road we did 775 miles. Our mileage varied from 84mpg to 104mpg, with the 104 coming in Canada with a healthy wind at our backs. Our mighest miles were 235 in a day. We had a great time and we'll be making lots more trips in the future.

As for how the bikes did; I like the Givi tall windshield. It's quiet behind that large hunk of clear plastic and at 5'8", I mostly look through the shield, but can look over it if I sit up straight like mom always told me to do. Compared to my other rides (2009 BMW R1200GS at 40mpg and my 2013 Ural Gear-Up at 29mpg), the 90+mpg average I'm getting is quite a pleasant surprise and I doubt I'll tire of that any time soon. Removing the seat hump helped with comfort somewhat and the holes allowed additional places to secure Max's carrier. The Givi trunk was way too large, something I knew up front, but being gone a week on a new bike made for challenging packing. So, the big Givi is being replaced with the more appropriate 30L.

The shocks suck and so does the seat. I'll be strapping on my beaded seat cover to see if that helps. The shocks, I'll have to do some more research on that issue. Another thing that bothered me was the tires. Every day I would check pressures and every day all 4 tires needed air, sometimes as much as 5 lbs. I'll be removing the tires, cleaning the beads and remounting them to see if that helps.

In all, I truly do like these PCX's and see a great future of minimalist touring on them.
Other bikes;
2013 Ural Gear-Up
2009 BMW R1200GS (for sale)
2006 Yamaha Vino 125 (for sale)
2006 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (for sale)
Dozens of 1954-1968 Sears/Allstate bikes and scooters
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Re: Newer member, longtime lurker, avid rider.

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Welcome to pcx.org :)

Glad to read you're enjoying your scoots. :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:P Great entrance to the forums, I enjoyed reading your venture and agree with some of the not so good PCX stuff. The tires losing air, & the uncomfortable shocks. The seat really didn't bother me much but then I never went on any long trips :|
Folks here seem to like the YSS shocks and Michelin City Grip tires. When you have time, do a search and read on. We have quite a few couples here that are enjoying the ride(s) together on their Very Own PCX! All good news so far! You two Have Fun! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

Now that's a way to break in some scoots! Welcome! :D
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to hondapcx.org.

The PCX is the only bike I have ever ridden (I'm 56), so I have nothing to compare it to, thus I always enjoy the perspective of riders who have owned several different bikes, large and small. It seem that no matter what size bike someone may have ridden, they have lots of positive things to say about the PCX. It speaks well as the PCX being a great bike.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Hiya, welcome. I think I've seen you on advrider before.

I recently swapped out the suspension on Mel46's wife's bike, and it made a huge difference. Needless to say, a new set of suspension is on order for me. An aftermarket seat from Thailand goes a long way too -- I have no problem on 500+ mile days on my comfy seat.

Someone recently started a super-minimalist touring thread on advrider here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981121, there's some good info there. I posted my typical touring setup there too, if you're interested in reading about it.

Congrats on your PCX, and welcome to the site.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

allstateclub wrote: Every day I would check pressures and every day all 4 tires needed air, sometimes as much as 5 lbs. I'll be removing the tires, cleaning the beads and remounting them to see if that helps.
I would first check to see if the valve cores are tight.
allstateclub

Post by allstateclub »

That was my first check, they're tight.
Other bikes;
2013 Ural Gear-Up
2009 BMW R1200GS (for sale)
2006 Yamaha Vino 125 (for sale)
2006 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (for sale)
Dozens of 1954-1968 Sears/Allstate bikes and scooters