Brought my new (leftover 2013) black PCX 150 home tonight.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Brought my new (leftover 2013) black PCX 150 home tonight.

Post by MKE PCX »

So today I brought my PCX home and took it for a 10-mile inaugural ride. I've been riding motorcycles for 10 years but today was my first time riding a scooter as the dealer didn't allow test rides.

Below are my initial thoughts.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I wonder how long it's going to take me to not feel like I'm about to stall out while coming to a stop? This is not the PCX's fault. It's just due to my inexperience with an automatic 2-wheeled vehicle. I'm so used to having a clutch.

Turn signals. Who needs 'em? Apparently I'm just going to be honking to alert people that I intend to turn. I'm not sure why Honda decided to flip the position of those two buttons. I guess they just wanted to be different than every other cycle.

I've only given it about 1/4 throttle so far but I'm very pleasantly surprised how the PCX moves my 210lb broad-shouldered frame.

The horn is not loud enough. I will be looking into replacements ASAP. Anyone know where the stock one is located?

Underseat storage is nice but not quite deep enough to fit my XL full face helmet. Bummer but I have a big noggin, so I'm used to head-related items not fitting correctly.

The seat hump has got to go. I've ordered a custom seat from Thailand but it's turned into a bit of a fiasco. I'm waiting to see if they can correct the problem, but my gut feeling is that I'm still going to be $165 poorer and still in the market for a seat.

I'm going to get pulled over as a suspected drunk. This thing is so light and nimble that I can't help but swerve back and forth enjoying it's capabilities.

It's a welcome, comfortable change of pace from my Triumph cafe racer. I'm definitely happy I made the purchase.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Brought my new (leftover 2013) black PCX 150 home tonigh

Post by Valiant »

Based on the schematic(part #17), I'd say the horn should be located in the front left side under the fairings:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... re-harness

It'll be interesting to see what else you can shove in there.

I've been eyeballing this one, but I'm not sure if the wiring is compatible:
http://screaming-banshee.com/banshee-ho ... ing-system
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

The horn you linked sure looks interesting but it definitely won't be plug and play. I also question whether the PCX's electrical system can handle it

The screaming banshee controller has 5 wires. From their installation instructions, here is where they go.

Red Wire – connect this to the (+) of your battery using a ring terminal.
Black Wire – Connect to the (--) wire on your existing horn, using one of the piggyback terminals.
Blue Wire – Connect to the (+) wire on your existing horn, using one of the piggyback terminals.
Orange Wire – Connect to the (+) of the new Screaming BansheeTM horn using a spade terminal.
Yellow Wire – Connect this to the High Beam wire on your headlight using a Tap Splice terminal.

You also have to make your own ground wire for the horn. So 6 wires total. The controller has a 30amp fuse which seems like an awful lot for a horn.

I'd really prefer not to splice into my headlights either, so I think the screaming banshee is out of the running for me.

https://www.denniskirk.com/214516.sku?u ... medium=cse

That horn should be plug and play and now that I've seen the schematic, I think it will fit the bill. 133db should be a nice improvement.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Sounds like a pretty big wiring headache.

So maybe something already confirmed to work for scooters?:

The accessory wire harness seems to simplify it by only necessitating connection to the battery terminals.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"I wonder how long it's going to take me to not feel like I'm about to stall out while coming to a stop? This is not the PCX's fault. It's just due to my inexperience with an automatic 2-wheeled vehicle. I'm so used to having a clutch.

Turn signals. Who needs 'em? Apparently I'm just going to be honking to alert people that I intend to turn. I'm not sure why Honda decided to flip the position of those two buttons. I guess they just wanted to be different than every other cycle."

Just don't forget it's a brake lever, not a clutch lever on the left--BTDT. That was a funny arrangement for the horn button. With my three bikes, there's the Honda with the arrangement you mention, the Kawasaki with the horn in the normal place but the two push-to-talk radio and PA buttons very close, and the BMW with unlabled controls and the horn button built into the turn signal switch.

When I switch bikes, a pre-flight refamiliarization of the controls is required. As you would suspect, they all handle differently, too, so taking it easy for the first bit of riding is standard operating procedure.

Congrats on your new bike.

Best,
Bash
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

It's funny, I don't reach for the nonexistent clutch while taking off, it's only when I stop. I think it's the engine noise lessening along with my speed that makes me feel like its going to clunk out.

I'll get used to it quickly as I plan to commute on the PCX as much as possible.

I think I'm going to hold off on the 133db horn until I stop accidentally pressing the button.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The horn is in the center area up and to the left of the gas cap area. I added a Bad Boy horn under the console hood (under that black hood that shades the instrument panel) by stuffing it in with a lot of effort. Then i tie wrapped it in place and ran the wires back to the center console area where the gas cap is. I had to install a relay because the little wires to the original horn won't carry the load. I kept the original horn connected and tapped the relay into those wires. The Bad Boy is an air horn so it takes a second to spool up. Thus, the original horn kicks in just before the air horn. Oh, run the main wires for the air horn directly to the battery, while using the relay connection to make it so that the horn will only work when the key is on. The instructions are fairly easy to follow. I got the Bad Boy at Harbor Freight. It does the job of alerting people that you are there, though some people could care less anyway.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:The horn is in the center area up and to the left of the gas cap area. I added a Bad Boy horn under the console hood (under that black hood that shades the instrument panel) by stuffing it in with a lot of effort. Then i tie wrapped it in place and ran the wires back to the center console area where the gas cap is. I had to install a relay because the little wires to the original horn won't carry the load. I kept the original horn connected and tapped the relay into those wires. The Bad Boy is an air horn so it takes a second to spool up. Thus, the original horn kicks in just before the air horn. Oh, run the main wires for the air horn directly to the battery, while using the relay connection to make it so that the horn will only work when the key is on. The instructions are fairly easy to follow. I got the Bad Boy at Harbor Freight. It does the job of alerting people that you are there, though some people could care less anyway.

Couldn't have anything named Bad Boy.

We have Jamie Oliver over here and he uses it constantly as as adjective

Think awesome
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

MKE PCX wrote: Turn signals. Who needs 'em? Apparently I'm just going to be honking to alert people that I intend to turn. I'm not sure why Honda decided to flip the position of those two buttons. I guess they just wanted to be different than every other cycle.
The horn is not loud enough. I will be looking into replacements ASAP. Anyone know where the stock one is located?
Try a car horn, I know a 90's Civic or Integra horn(much louder than PCX horn) would be a direct bolt on.
I actually prefer the PCX upside down turnsignals/horn button, otherwise I would be using my GSXR hand controls(pass and hazards included 8) ) off of my gy6/ruckus ...
I rarely use the horn anyway (got loud exhaust for that), so I actually put on Ruckus horn (much wimpier sound than the pcx horn) :lol:
caseybea
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by caseybea »

MKE PCX wrote:So today I brought my PCX home and took it for a 10-mile inaugural ride. I've been riding motorcycles for 10 years but today was my first time riding a scooter as the dealer didn't allow test rides.

Below are my initial thoughts.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I wonder how long it's going to take me to not feel like I'm about to stall out while coming to a stop? This is not the PCX's fault. It's just due to my inexperience with an automatic 2-wheeled vehicle. I'm so used to having a clutch.

Turn signals. Who needs 'em? Apparently I'm just going to be honking to alert people that I intend to turn. I'm not sure why Honda decided to flip the position of those two buttons. I guess they just wanted to be different than every other cycle.

I've only given it about 1/4 throttle so far but I'm very pleasantly surprised how the PCX moves my 210lb broad-shouldered frame.

Underseat storage is nice but not quite deep enough to fit my XL full face helmet. Bummer but I have a big noggin, so I'm used to head-related items not fitting correctly.

The seat hump has got to go. I've ordered a custom seat from Thailand but it's turned into a bit of a fiasco. I'm waiting to see if they can correct the problem, but my gut feeling is that I'm still going to be $165 poorer and still in the market for a seat.

I'm going to get pulled over as a suspected drunk. This thing is so light and nimble that I can't help but swerve back and forth enjoying it's capabilities.

It's a welcome, comfortable change of pace from my Triumph cafe racer. I'm definitely happy I made the purchase.
Hey MKE PCX, welcome! I too picked up a new 2013 PCX from a dealer in Waukesha a week ago. Online they advertised three units-- two red, one black. And priced for a song. When I got there I asked, and got the reply "we have one left". I was *so* happy it was red, hahahaha. (maybe that black one was yours?)

Anyway, I totally agree with many of your observations. I'm getting used to the automatic enough (except for still reaching for the clutch when I start it, hahahah) , and the turn signal / horn thing drives me nuts too. (NOTE on the turn signal, took me a while to figure out you PUSH IT IN to 'cancel'. My old school CM450 just had you switch it back to the middle position....). Ditto on the seat, I'm about your size. It arrives in about a week.

I'm surprised (and sorry to hear) your helmet doesn't fit.. I have a huge full face helmet and it fits perfectly.

I love the bike, I love how quiet and smooth it is, yet it still has impressive speed. The one thing that will take me getting used to is that you feel the road bumps MUCH more with the smaller tires. That will take getting used to. thunka... thunka... thunka... thunka.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

MKE PCX wrote:The horn is not loud enough. I will be looking into replacements ASAP. Anyone know where the stock one is located
Just thought I'd toss in maddiedog's "How to Install the Stebel Nautilus Horn" in case you wanted a visual done on his 2011 White :D PCX.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23
(Thread taken from the PCX Technical Help > How To)

Caution! Be careful honking around pedestrians, you'll scare the bejesus out of them. Like....YIKES!! o_O
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

caseybea wrote: Hey MKE PCX, welcome! I too picked up a new 2013 PCX from a dealer in Waukesha a week ago. Online they advertised three units-- two red, one black. And priced for a song. When I got there I asked, and got the reply "we have one left". I was *so* happy it was red, hahahaha. (maybe that black one was yours?)

Anyway, I totally agree with many of your observations. I'm getting used to the automatic enough (except for still reaching for the clutch when I start it, hahahah) , and the turn signal / horn thing drives me nuts too. (NOTE on the turn signal, took me a while to figure out you PUSH IT IN to 'cancel'. My old school CM450 just had you switch it back to the middle position....). Ditto on the seat, I'm about your size. It arrives in about a week.

I'm surprised (and sorry to hear) your helmet doesn't fit.. I have a huge full face helmet and it fits perfectly.

I love the bike, I love how quiet and smooth it is, yet it still has impressive speed. The one thing that will take me getting used to is that you feel the road bumps MUCH more with the smaller tires. That will take getting used to. thunka... thunka... thunka... thunka.
caseybea,

Small world. I moved up to Germantown from the "H" section of Greendale this past July.

I did purchase the PCX out in Waukesha. I saw the same three online. Your salesman was wrong (probably lied) about yours being the last one. Both red ones were gone on Saturday when I paid for mine. They said all three were sold already and I was ready to leave disappointed. They offered to show me a Black 2015 they had in another building and since I had driven 45 minutes to get there I decided to take a look. It turned out to be a 2013 and I bought it right away. When I started shopping these bikes there were eight 2013 models at dealers in Milwaukee but they sold fast at the reduced price.

As far as the dealer in Waukesha goes, I don't foresee myself going back there for any reason. They struck me as a bit shady but they were the only one with a bike left in stock. I'll be doing all maintenance myself.

I'll give fitting my helmet another shot. I honestly didn't spend a lot of time trying since it was pretty cold out and I was just stopping to grab a sandwich. I just left the seat unlatched and you had to really look to notice the seat wasn't closed. If the full face won't fit, I can always use one of my 3/4 helmets that I wear on my cafe racer.

Don't get me started on road bumps. The roads in Germantown make the roads in and around Greendale feel like driving on a cloud. On the bright side, potholes are easily avoided on the nimble PCX.

Hopefully a few more of the new PCX owners will find their way to this site.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Valiant wrote:Based on the schematic(part #17), I'd say the horn should be located in the front left side under the fairings:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... re-harness

It'll be interesting to see what else you can shove in there.

I've been eyeballing this one, but I'm not sure if the wiring is compatible:
http://screaming-banshee.com/banshee-ho ... ing-system
I went to the local car wrecker and picked up car horn for $5.
And this is the outcome..
http://youtu.be/F-TAdSjdvi4
caseybea
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by caseybea »

MKE PCX wrote:
caseybea,

Small world. I moved up to Germantown from the "H" section of Greendale this past July.

I did purchase the PCX out in Waukesha. I saw the same three online. Your salesman was wrong (probably lied) about yours being the last one. Both red ones were gone on Saturday when I paid for mine. They said all three were sold already and I was ready to leave disappointed. They offered to show me a Black 2015 they had in another building and since I had driven 45 minutes to get there I decided to take a look. It turned out to be a 2013 and I bought it right away. When I started shopping these bikes there were eight 2013 models at dealers in Milwaukee but they sold fast at the reduced price.

As far as the dealer in Waukesha goes, I don't foresee myself going back there for any reason. They struck me as a bit shady but they were the only one with a bike left in stock. I'll be doing all maintenance myself.

I'll give fitting my helmet another shot. I honestly didn't spend a lot of time trying since it was pretty cold out and I was just stopping to grab a sandwich. I just left the seat unlatched and you had to really look to notice the seat wasn't closed. If the full face won't fit, I can always use one of my 3/4 helmets that I wear on my cafe racer.
Interesting about the bike availability... either way, I *wanted* the red one, so good to go. Sales dude probably only put one bike out at a time so people would think they were getting the "last one". Wow. Yes, shady indeed. I won't be out there at all for service though, mostly because they're too far. There's a good honda place near me (rawson avenue), and there's also one not too far from where I work. I'll do my "first" service (600mi) at a dealer to be safe, but will likely do future oil changes myself. I'm on the fence about the valve clearance thing, still pondering that.

Glad to know another local pcx fan!

PS: For the helmet, once you set it in the bottom of the seat, try sliding the helmet toward the rear of the bike, THEN close the seat. Makes a difference.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

caseybea wrote: PS: For the helmet, once you set it in the bottom of the seat, try sliding the helmet toward the rear of the bike, THEN close the seat. Makes a difference.
Not if it's an XL.

My Large Arai helmet only barely fits in there, and I broke one of the vent open/close valves on the helmet too. When closed, you can clearly see the helmet through the middle of the seat, though the saddlebags I have slung over there might be a factor in that too.
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

Valiant wrote:
caseybea wrote: PS: For the helmet, once you set it in the bottom of the seat, try sliding the helmet toward the rear of the bike, THEN close the seat. Makes a difference.
Not if it's an XL.

My Large Arai helmet only barely fits in there, and I broke one of the vent open/close valves on the helmet too. When closed, you can clearly see the helmet through the middle of the seat, though the saddlebags I have slung over there might be a factor in that too.

I honestly wasn't expecting it to close around the big helmet. If I'm not wearing my armored riding jacket and have the helmet on, I look like Darth Helmet from Spaceballs.

Headwear and sunglasses never look right on me. Damned, cursed big head. I feel bad for my mom.
jon_l
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

My XL Shoei TZ-R fits under the seat of my 2013 PCX, barely, but it does.
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I've a XL LS2 helmet which fits under my PCX seat just fine with my waterproofs and chain. Only fits one way, but it fits and I do not have to force the seat down.
aka DrewJW
jon_l
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

MKE PCX wrote:

MKE PCX - I too hate the hump, and I am about ready to order a Thai seat. Other than long delivery times, I haven't heard many complaints about the service. Who did you order from and what issues do you have?

This is what I think I will be ordering - they refer to it as Seat Type 1 at this link: http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-selle-t ... 09880.html

black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

I ordered my seat from MP Motor. There was an issue in communicating what I wanted the seat to look like, despite it appearing like they understood.

If you order the seat you linked from Powerbypcx I'm sure you'll get what you are expecting. I haven't seen anyone have an issue with that vendor.