Idle switch not working

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Idle switch not working

Post by Gil »

alx123 I have had issues with the equivalent switch on US model PCX. While the switch doesn't have the same function, it has malfunctioned for me in the past. The switch here is red and will shut off the engine. At one point my scooter wouldn't start, so I flicked the switch a few times and that seemed to solve my problem. Yours might just have a bit of corrosion or gunk built up, since I'm guessing you don't use it much.

In a related issue, I recently opened the front brake light switch at the handlebar. It was working intermittently, I found some rust build up around the contact points, after some light sanding and some dielectric grease it's all good now.

Just an Idea.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

easyrider wrote:Don't fix it..do away with it.. Nothing but a headache and serves no meaningful purpose. Just another problem waiting to happen..Murphy's law !Wait till it stops and doesn't turn on in traffic.. Have fun pushing and paying $..
As Iv'e said, I find it very useful riding in Bangkok.
you you wrote:I’d put a new battery in tbh.
Yorkie150 wrote:my idle stop failed earlier this year - new battery fitted - problem solved.
Thanks, looks like GN2 is right and my battery is shot. I just don't feel it's right to replace a battery which is still giving my voltmeter some good readings. But it seems like the next rational thing to do..Oh well

@Gil

I use my idling stop very often because I usually have to wait 5 minutes or more on red lights here in Bangkok. I don't care about the insignificant fuel i save, but I like to sit on a quiet Engine while waiting.

Also, I think it's not my switch because pushing the idling switch will turn my idling stop indicator light ON, though only for a few seconds.

Your'e right though, I will take some time to check my swtiches for rust and corrosions and maybe use some contact cleaners.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

@alx123 I also like the idle stop feature, not offered in the USA sadly. I also use the engine stop switch often. When arriving at my destination, I use the switch to shut down the engine and coast to a stop. So even with frequent use it might be faulty. I should probably open it up too, to clean it and such. When I have issues with it I just flick it back and forth a few times, and it's good again. Although one time the scooter did shut off when I was on the roadway.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Checked the battery to make sure it's really shot before I buy a new one.

Results:

Standing charge
rsz_1rsz_img20200606184017.jpg
rsz_1rsz_img20200606184017.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Didn't go below 10V upon cranking and

idling voltage is fine
rsz_img20200606184102.jpg
rsz_img20200606184102.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Methinks the battery is fine. Or do I also need to check the Amperage? Although Im not sure how to properly do that.

Switches checked and cleaned.

Anyway I think it's time to visit my favourite mechanic for his opinion.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Althought this fault could be many things, battery volts alone do not mean idle stop will work properly - the ECU has a staggered graph it works to and if it believes the battery is not up to the task, idle stop is disabled. Honestly, no idea why people bother with it for the very small savings.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

iceman wrote:Althought this fault could be many things, battery volts alone do not mean idle stop will work properly - the ECU has a staggered graph it works to and if it believes the battery is not up to the task, idle stop is disabled. Honestly, no idea why people bother with it for the very small savings.
Yep, I guess it's the battery indeed.

I myself don't care about the insignificant fuel saved. But as I've said it's nice to sit for 5 mins on a quiet engine while waiting for the light to turn green. Besides, if my battery is shot, I'd rather find out right now than later.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Update:

A new battery solved my problem.