idling stop got problem

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

conglap
Year: 2016
Color: Black

idling stop got problem

Post by conglap »

Hi everyone,

My bike has just upgraded lithium battery but idling stop does not work ( before i change it , i use original battery idling stop work very well.

Anyone face same problem like me when change lithium battery ?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: idling stop got problem

Post by iceman »

The ldling stop circuitry not only monitors battery voltage but also uses a graph style system to determine battery capacity and charge (not just off-load volts so to speak) < there's a graph in the service manual. If it believes your battery is not working properly idling stop will be disabled - by design!

The Lithium should hold full charge better than the lead-acid, but if it believes something is wrong (even though it's better than before) it may be too clever (stupid) and thus stop idling stop. Just a thought - wonder if someone can scan the graph from the service manual and upload it?
conglap
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by conglap »

Thanks iceman. ECM too smart to know that I changed lithium battery o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to the forums. Glad we could help. I learned something about idling stop as well. It is a feature that North American riders don't get the pleasure of.

By the way, to help us help you better, could you list your location with your profile. You can access in through the 'User Control Panel' in the top right corner.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

conglap wrote:Thanks iceman. ECM too smart to know that I changed lithium battery o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O
It was a best guess - but I did read the service manual page on the idle-stop just for interest (long ago) and there was a graph and description how idle-stop was disabled if the computer thought the battery was not up to it - why it would have a problem with a lithium cell that should be the same volts and hold a charge better than lead acid - well . . . perhaps it's something else.
1) battery voltage sensor, the ECU will override the idle/stop if it detects not enough voltage from the battery to restart.
2) temp sensor, if the bike is too hot from being ridden very hard, again the ECU will override the idle/stop.
Other posts on this forum discussing idle-stop and swapping to a lithium did not indicate it was a problem:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1318#p18666
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Correct, I do some teaching on the idle stop systems on cars and all of them have the ability to shut off the system if the battery is low and or there are any other engine sensors that say the engine is not working at optimum operation. The system has no idea what kind of battery you have,it only knows if you have enough current and amperage that meets the preset threshold.

On a BMW 3 series, for example, 22 criteria have to be met at all times, before the idle stop system will stay engaged.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI