So close to getting a scooter

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

JetFalcon

So close to getting a scooter

Post by JetFalcon »

Last month I came to a compromise with my parents to let me buy a scooter because they will never let me have a motorcycle while they're still alive. But got my mom to say okay to the scooter.

So last night I really believed my dad was gonna let me buy my own scooter and he came along with me to give his opinions. There were no hard feelings and he kept telling me how he was going to respect me more and let me make my own decisions. We went to the first place in LA that had the Honda Reflex 06 used, but it was priced way to high for something that was dropped and had broken lights & plastic. Then we went to the second one which also had an 06 Honda Reflex but I got the dealer to sell me the thing at $2600. I'm not sure it's the best deal, but he originally wanted $3200 and it's in much better shape than the first dealer but still old.

But then my dad changed his mind all the sudden and said to not buy it and will buy me a nice sports car for me to forget about motorcycles. They bought themselves time making me believe they would allow me to buy my own bike and then shut me down the moment they saw I was serious about getting it, I even signed up for a class that costed $250! The sports car is nice, but I never wanted him to buy me one because there will be no pride in owning it. I would have more pride in owning the Honda Reflex that I bought with my own money and I'd post that on my facebook more than any sports car my dad wants to buy me. Because I know ppl will hate me for having a sports car, no one will really be happy for me.

Well, now it's back to where I started and I can't stand the fact that owning a motorcycle will ruin my relationship with my family. I went to college and graduated and avoided becoming a drug addict or an alcoholic. I will have to miss out on this life because my parents hate it so much and any cool like sky diving or helicopter flights are expensive and can't be done as often as riding a motorcycle. It's like they killed a big part of me just for their own peace of mind. I don't have the kind of money to do adrenaline rush activities all the time and snowboarding requires me to wait for the weekend & drive for over an hour. And video games have gotten boring so staying at home is boring. I need to find a new activity to get into that's not motorcycles but has that same rush/joy that won't have my parents telling me it's not safe and I will for sure die.

Even if I was on my own and had a stable job, I will not be able to stand my stressed out mom telling me everyday I will die and how I will be in the hospital. It's not something I want to think about when enjoying a ride on a motorcycle.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: So close to getting a scooter

Post by Taz »

At 17 I was motorcycling, flying gliders, starting my Private Pilot Licence (now Im a CPL) and living away from my parents. I didnt own a car for many years to help pay for those other things. For this Christmas break Ive just ordered a 4 blade radio control helicopter to learn, as a friend of mine has got into that and aerial photography. I was just browsing youtube and found RC motorcycles, eg see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJ8dNv6p2o

Not much risk in doing that! (Not my cup of tea though). Hope you can sort something out. Everything in life is a risk, says me on my 3rd software biz startup!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:roll: :roll:
JetFalcon

Post by JetFalcon »

Well, I work for my parents now and I have about $11,000 in the bank. I do accounts receivables. To pay rent, bills, food, and everything else on my own will that be enough to be independent assuming I can find a new job away from them? Because I will be fired if I have a motorcycle. I have been living at home in order to save up money.

I have a college degree in finance but it's so hard to find a job. Plus I always fear I may get laid off because Ihe work will get too hard. But even if I am independent, I can get one but I probably have to never talk to my parents again if I get a motorcycle.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JetFalcon wrote:I will be fired if I have a motorcycle.
Bovine faeces.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Bovine faeces.

The rest of use have already twigged that.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

qed wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Bovine faeces.

The rest of use have already twigged that.
Well give yourself a pat on the back then if it's not too sore already. :roll: :roll:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

While not exactly in your same situation, my parents where not thrilled that I wanted to own a motorcycle.

Last February I called them and said I just signed up for a motorcycle training and safety class. We call it MSF, at my local college. Boy when they heard that I got all kinds of warnings, going to die scenarios, blah blah.

Took the class with my girlfriend, we both wanted to learn. As soon as I got my license stamped I bought a PCX. Again, the family was not happy, even my sister who is a nurse said I was nuts. But time heals all wounds. They kept calling, asking how's the bike, where did I go, how's the millage. Eventually my dad came over and even test road it. Loved it's small size, quiet engine. Mom began talking abut getting on for herself, to commute her 3 miles to work! Sister even said its awesome after I gave her a ride.

I am the first, and only person. In my extended family to own and ride a scooter/motorcycle. Although the extened family calls once in a while to see if I'm still alive.

Put on 6000 miles and then realized I had made a mistake. I wanted a bigger bike, to tour, go on the highway, go long distance. I knew this when I took my longest trip on the bike, 56 miles 1 way to the closest ILlinois state park. Throttle pegged open. Fully loaded with supplies for a day out plus food. I managed a meager 66.7 MPG hovering 60 MPH. Country road speed limit is (55). Constantly getting passed.

I called the parents saying I'm in the market for a bigger motorcycle, this time, they supported me. Bigger bike, easier to see. I bought my 2012 Honda NC700X in October. For Christmas, the family bought me all kinds of motorcycle equipment!

The whole point of my post is that what you want to do is pushing your family against their comfort zone. They will resist for a while, but their minds will change. They will accept you and your now crazier passion. Your friends may get curious and join you! Some of mine did, they all are in registration for the MSF classes.

Or you never had unconditional love, and you best move on bro.